Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
6'4"-6'9" with the afro
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a recent transplant from Phoenix and sampled Tolt McD a week ago for the first time. Very impressed, especially considering the close proximity to my new home.

Anybody know what the trail conditions on Tolt McD are right now? Would like to get out for an early ride tomorrow but don't want to destroy the trail.

Thanks,
Stu

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Probably a mess. Hawkens would know better as he was there Tuesday eve and I believe I remember him talking about a lot of standing water. He's riding a much drier place just across the valley Saturday at Griffin Creek, it drains better than any other place here in the valley.

As for Tolt, if you stay off the middle trails(Mystery, Oxbow, The Burn, etc.) and Bob's run and stay to the peripheral trails, you should be ok enough. The trails that will get trashed already are.

If you are here in the valley, there are a few other places that don't get as much traffic and probably will be in better shape.

If you do go to Tolt, bring a pruning saw and pitch in if you can. The winds last week knocked a lot of trees down and people are already just riding around.

·
That's ok I'll walk it...
240 Posts
Water World

On Tuesday night it looked like Water World.

There were lots of large pools of water. In areas that might have a small puddles now have a huge pool of water, even the roads had fast moving water flowing.

There is a large tree that fell over IAB in the wind storm last week and several smaller tree's laying on majority of the trails in the middle of the Tolt trail system. There is also a large tree across the road near Cross Quadrant and the entrace to the Burn.

I agree with Borneo avoid the middle trails. I really like the trails in the South West side of Tolt those trails are usually in great shape in the winter and are lot more interesting then the trails in middle or near the 5-way.

If anyone is riding the trails this weekend it would be great if you could move the tree's off the trails instead of riding around them.

I'll be clearing tree's off the trails when I am out there again on Tuesday night.

Hawkens

·
Is my rear tire flat?
858 Posts
How was that bridge UNDER troubled water?

I heard about that one. I was up there last Monday night and saw some of the downed trees, should be pretty easy to clear.

In comparison though, the trails in Anacortes are in pretty good shape. I rode the Cranberry Lake side and on some of the hills the trails were dry even though it had been raining hard. They must get some of that San Juan rain shadow thingamabobber.
db

·
That's ok I'll walk it...
240 Posts
Mutiny on East Trail

Out of eight only two others followed me across the bridge on East Trail.

I thought it was going to be easy sailing on the bridge over the lake, when the logs on the other side of the bridge that your ride down on floated away.

Turned around to see if anyone else would follow only to see the remaining six turn around and leave. They found another route and met up with the three of us again.

Hawkens

·
6'4"-6'9" with the afro
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the heads-up

Hawkens said:
On Tuesday night it looked like Water World.

There were lots of large pools of water. In areas that might have a small puddles now have a huge pool of water, even the roads had fast moving water flowing.

There is a large tree that fell over IAB in the wind storm last week and several smaller tree's laying on majority of the trails in the middle of the Tolt trail system. There is also a large tree across the road near Cross Quadrant and the entrace to the Burn.

I agree with Borneo avoid the middle trails. I really like the trails in the South West side of Tolt those trails are usually in great shape in the winter and are lot more interesting then the trails in middle or near the 5-way.

If anyone is riding the trails this weekend it would be great if you could move the tree's off the trails instead of riding around them.

I'll be clearing tree's off the trails when I am out there again on Tuesday night.

Hawkens
I heard the rain pound my rooftop most of last night and decided that a ride this morning probably wouldn't be prudent.

Will definitely take your advise/admonition to clear rather than ride over trees. I imagine a little foldable saw (that doesn't cut your head off when you take a header) is a good investment for riding up here in the great PNW?

BTW, does everyone really walk over that suspension bridge at the trailhead? I walked but felt like a dork doing so as the bridge was icy and my shoes have no tread left on them. I tend to err on the side of conservatism when it comes to rules w/ mt bike as our access seems so tenuous these days...

And [gulp] do I need to put a fender on my 36? Just seems so wrong...

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
"Legal" is really a vague term there. Officially, all King County property closes at dusk. But, that being said, the campground manager doesn't seem to mind. (As long as we walk the bridge...) But, that's a whole 'nuther story.
Most of the property up top is actually Port Blakely tree farm and they do not have nearly as stingent a policy about being out at dusk.
I always say, if anyone get's hurt, you better drag 'em out to Tolt Hill Road to call the aid car because having to call up the land manager to get a key to the gate a 9 p.m. would really suck for access.....

Side note, JLz and I just got out of East today about 1 as the rain started to fall. Good stuff.

And, the Sven saw at REI is awesome for limbing and can be easily velcroed to your top tube. Yes, this time of year it's good to carry a pruning saw.

Well, up to the snow!

·
6'4"-6'9" with the afro
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It was the same deal in Phoenix -- South Mountain park technically closed at dusk but I've ridden right by a park ranger several times w/ the HID blazing and got friendly hello's every time. Well, it was the same if you ignore the rain and trees.

Thanks for the good info everyone.
Stu

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.