Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 286 Posts

·
Bandit 29 FTW!!!
1,164 Posts
I talked to a buddy who was out at Leon Creek yesterday and had to wade across several crossings. He said the water was waist deep at one crossing and knee deep at the other.

I've never ridden the trails after a heavy rain. Is it best to stay away for a little while or don't worry about it?

·
Bandit 29 FTW!!!
1,164 Posts
Drove by a bridge on the Leon Creek trails and it had standing water. I also talked to a buddy of mine who runs the trails and he told me that they are very soft. I'll have to stay away but hope they dry out by the weekend.

·
Registered
171 Posts
i rode this morning. I agree it might be frowned upon if you were skidding and oedaling in the loose stuff digging up dirt, but just going through and displacing dirt isn't bad. there were some slick spots and some standing water but it wasn't to bad. by thursday morning I would bet trail conditions will br perfect. There were def. signs that people had already ridden before me out there.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Leon Creek is still a little wet, and has several spots with standing water, but it's fine to ride through. There's already a ton of bikers on the paths. I went from Schnabel to Bamberger. Got about as far away as I could from my car and did this:

·
Registered
82 Posts
The trail goes back to the middle of the pic. The drop is about 2.5' - 3'. I tried jumping off it and when I hit the bottom, the bike didn't move at all. I don't know exactly what caused the crash. It could be that the bike just got perfectly stuck in the rocks and caused myself and the bike not to move forward. Or the magnitude of my weight coming down from 3' of air onto the front wheel causing it to fold first, then causing the bike to stop. Or the combination of both.

·
Bandit 29 FTW!!!
1,164 Posts
Leon Creek is still a little wet, and has several spots with standing water, but it's fine to ride through. There's already a ton of bikers on the paths. I went from Schnabel to Bamberger. Got about as far away as I could from my car and did this:

Sorry to hear that happened but glad you're ok. I don't recognize that area in your pic. Is that closer to Bamburger Park?

How much are you looking to spend on a wheel? I may be able to hook you up with one cheap. Shoot me a PM or email me at [email protected] if you get a chance.

·
Registered
82 Posts
That was in Bamberger park, close to the pond that is now full. It didn't seem to be a well traveled trail.
That drop is actually in the trail. The rain could have washed it out.
I'm heading there today, so I'll try to find it again and GPS locate it.

·
Bandit 29 FTW!!!
1,164 Posts
That was in Bamberger park, close to the pond that is now full. It didn't seem to be a well traveled trail.
That drop is actually in the trail. The rain could have washed it out.
I'm heading there today, so I'll try to find it again and GPS locate it.
I'm sure there's lots of places I've yet to explore. Was that bottom so soft that your tire dug in? How fast were you going when it happened?

·
Registered
82 Posts
It was a little soft, but I think the wheel just folded on the rocks and my weight. I wasn't going too fast. I just wanted to hop and clear the first few feet. I would think it would have to be mud to stop my speed. I didn't roll at all when the wheels landed, so that's what leads me to believe it was the folding of the wheel and not one of those rocks.

Next time I'm gonna have someone video my shenanigans.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Went back last night. You start at the parking lot to Bamberger Park off Babcock rd., and go left on the paved trail down to the creek/low water crossing bridge. Cross it to the other side and you'll see a wide, straight, dirt trail begin at the top in front of you. Take that dirt trail down a little ways til you see big boulders on your left marking another trail that immediately drops down to a creek. Cross the creek and you'll see the washout that I attempted to jump. It's probably 1/4 mile from the parking lot, so it should be easy to find.

Took another pic for reference. I'm 6'1" standing right infront of the ledge. Hey, I'm wearing the same shirt. lol

You get kuddos if you get a vid of yourself succesfully clearing the jump, or not. lol

·
Bandit 29 FTW!!!
1,164 Posts
Went back last night. You start at the parking lot to Bamberger Park off Babcock rd., and go left on the paved trail down to the creek/low water crossing bridge. Cross it to the other side and you'll see a wide, straight, dirt trail begin at the top in front of you. Take that dirt trail down a little ways til you see big boulders on your left marking another trail that immediately drops down to a creek. Cross the creek and you'll see the washout that I attempted to jump. It's probably 1/4 mile from the parking lot, so it should be easy to find.

Took another pic for reference. I'm 6'1" standing right infront of the ledge. Hey, I'm wearing the same shirt. lol

You get kuddos if you get a vid of yourself succesfully clearing the jump, or not. lol
I'll be out there Saturday with my boy and I'll take a look. Any luck in finding a replacement wheel?

I hit the trails the past two days and there's lots of standing water and the mosquitoes are the size of dragonflies. They are really bad. The water had cut off 1/4 of the trails I normally ride with the Bamberger side being the best. The trails are nice, compact and really fast.

1 - 20 of 286 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.