Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Snow on Surveyor's right now but might be mostly clear by end of weekend. 15 mile, not sure, should be mostly clear with the Southern exposure. Do not know of the blowdown on either. Planning on attempting Surveyor's, 8-mile, kneeble, etc. on Sat. and will give you my feedback (planning on bringing a saw w/ me, just in case)

Nate

QUOTE=trexnfx]Anyone ridden Surveyor's/Dog or 15 mile Creek this season yet - general conditions?

Thanks,
T-Rex[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
324 Posts
trexnfx said:
thanks for the update. I would guess it wouldn't be to bad especially with the warmer weather the past week.

T
As of Wed. the woods were patchy w/ snow so ????

See you on Sat. Look for a blue Turner leading a small group (8-10 people) If anything, we might blaze a trail for you (or vice versa)

Nate

·
Registered
87 Posts
Early season trail maintenence

You mentioned you'd be brining a saw. What's your protocol on doing the trail maintenence yourself or are you affiliated with PUMP or Merry Cranksters? The last two seasons, I think I was one of the first on High Prairie / Lookout Mt. trail and I cleared a few smaller downed trees with a hatchet. Yay or nay on this approach?

One good thing about the lack of snow this season, while my season pass to Meadows was pretty much worthless, at least my favorite trails will be open earlier.

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
smaledog said:
You mentioned you'd be brining a saw. What's your protocol on doing the trail maintenence yourself or are you affiliated with PUMP or Merry Cranksters? The last two seasons, I think I was one of the first on High Prairie / Lookout Mt. trail and I cleared a few smaller downed trees with a hatchet. Yay or nay on this approach?

One good thing about the lack of snow this season, while my season pass to Meadows was pretty much worthless, at least my favorite trails will be open earlier.
In this state, if you wait for an organized club to maintain a trail, you may never see the work done.
If you're out on a trail and there is a tree down across it, most times, i'd say DO remove it. Unless it's a small tree that can be ridden over. If you are on a busy trail with horses and hikers, remove the tree cause horses will go around the tree creating a new trail. If it van be ridden over, or it's too big to handle with a hand saw, you should clear any branches that could make it difficult to cross. A
Also, if you are going to bother cutting the tree, make sure you cut it back at least 3-4 feet past the edge of the trail, so it doesn't look so ugly, and so no one will catch a handlebar on it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
bjsid said:
any update on the conditions on saturday in hood river?
Lots of rain on both Fri and Sat. just washed away all the great conditions in the lower trails. Synchline was still in very good condition inthe lower section on Sat. Sun. we did Surveyor's - fair amount of blowdown but soil was great until the bottom switchbacks - will probably get up there to clean it out this week if I get some time. Dog river was in very good shape with only a couple of blowdown.

Thanks,
Nate

·
Afric Pepperbird
4,752 Posts
Thats great news about Surveyors! I can hardly wait. Outside of the smooth, Bend singletrack, Surveyors is my Oregon favorite. On a related note, does anyone know the conditions of the Lewis River trail? I usually do that as my first ride of the season, just to loosen up. I hope its clear. Otherwise I'll hit the syncline.

Thanks in advance

(p.s., this is my first post in these forums, and I'm sure to be here many more times!)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.