Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Mtbr Founder
34,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the actual conditions on your local trails. If you've tried them out after the rain, share the scoop.

State date and conditions please.

fc

·
Mtbr Founder
34,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As of 12-21 from midpen

Fremont Older
  • The two southern sections of the Toyon Trail, which are subject to seasonal closure, are now CLOSED to bikes and horses.

Long Ridge
  • Peters Creek Trail is CLOSED to horses and bikes.

Long Ridge Trail is CLOSED to horses and bikes.

Achistaca Trail is CLOSED to horses and bikes.
Monte Bello
  • White Oak Trail is CLOSED to horses and bikes.

Skid Road Trail is CLOSED to horses and bikes.

Purisima Creek Redwoods
  • Whittemore Gulch Trail is CLOSED to horses and bikes.

·
Curse you Coe!
214 Posts
Today I hit Waterdog around 1:30-4:00pm (12/21/07).

Rode nearly every trail including Canyon Creek, Rambler, Ohlone, Chaparral, Berry Trail, Lake Road, John Brooks, Finch...

I found occasional puddles on [Rambler] and [Chaparral], and a brief and snotty mud area on [John Brooks near Lake Road Trail], but otherwise most everything rides like hardpack.

·
IPAs make me wanna puke.
1,598 Posts
Daryl,

I'm heading out to ride again tomorrow. Hit me up if you wanna go.

Michael

·
What would Pimpbot do?
364 Posts
Warning - 100% fire road content....

I've been doing mostly short rides around Quicksilver, Sierra Azul, Belgatos, and Shannon Valley all week since I have 3 weeks off work right now. A grand total of 1 cup of mud and gravel stuck to my bike over the 8 hours of riding I squeezed in this week so that indicates the fire roads are still rideable.

12/17 Quicksilver to Woods Road to Kennedy - Quicksilver and the flats of Woods Road were muddy in spots but rideable on 12/17. The traction on that mythical steep section of Woods was great, however I didn't clean it this time. Musta been the extra tire weight or just my condition. Mmm. Cupcakes, cookies and beer.

12/19 Kennedy - as good as you would expect. The few flat areas were goopey on 12/19, but the steeps were perfect. Saw some hardcore riders out there that day.

12/18, 12/20 and 12/21: Shannon Valley and Belgatos (East Los Gatos) - SV has got southern exposure and few trees so it has been great. The few shaded areas need a few more days to dry out. Belgatos (northern and shady exposure) is slick and should be avoided for the sake of trail preservation.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Friday 12-21-07
Granite Bay loop in Folsom Lake State Park
There's a few wet spots out there but mostly very grippy hardpack crushed granite single track. The outside of the corners seem faster now that the rain has packed down some of the softer sandy turns as long as you can stay clear of the mud in the middle of those sections.The short climbing stretches have good traction going up or down as do the rock garden spots. Bit cold in the woods and hard to see in the shady areas but very nice on the sunnyside of the hill overlooking the lake or whats left of the lake. Salmon Falls ought to be a decent ride and worth driving to if anyone is interested. :thumbsup: Not too sure about the Auburn area though,it might be super muddy over the hill.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
1,570 Posts
Skyline

Ran the trails yesterday. nice shape, good tack, Freaking cold out Low in the am of 31 high of 40 for the day

·
Registered
552 Posts
Backside China Camp

Rode everything on the backside yesterday in honor of the Solstice. Everything was in perfect condition, no puddles at all. (But you knew that already) Tacky and ever so slightly soft, with water trickling down the creeks! Cold and crisp back in the dark canyons.

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,163 Posts
Rockville was its normal post wet self. Good trail conditions, slippery rocks. The ice didn't help too much either. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Santa Teresa

Was riding along Los Alamitos creek trail (nice,dry) and decided to go check out Santa Teresa - most of it looks like it has dried up nicely, except for Rocky Ridge, which is still a sticky mess. Probably needs another sunny day or two...

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Kennedy is a lot steeper! Trail erosion or something, but the soil seemed to have run off in the way that made the climb a lot steeper.

In the shade, there was ice on the trail at 11am. Traction up the wall was great, I never lost footing pushing my bike.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Demo today

Rode Ridge and Braille and the conditions were excellent. We started off at about 845 and got ice cream style headaches from the road ride up. It was 34 degrees! Our ears hurt too! Bit the traction was awesome and only a handful of people out. Will be great on sunday too!

·
Propr
1,192 Posts
Come up to Auburn guys...still open (year round), great riding, and plenty of options. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
No Ice @ Here

Went for a short ride this morning @ 8am with Slocaus for my first ride to the top of Madonna Mountain [Mt San Luis?]. It was 37 degrees when I left the house, probably 45 at the start of the ride. I encountered friendly hikers, little mud, great trail conditions with a fun climb up the fireroad and entertaining descent down a singletrack, no ice and great views. At the end of the ride temps were @ 60 degrees.Great stuff! :) A much longer ride tomorrow
Here's a few picture from today's ride::thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I rode Boggs today. A couple of puddles, everything else was great. There was some frozen mud, but it didn't stick--just made a cool crunching noise. cooold.

·
Mtbr Founder
34,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
jms said:
Went for a short ride this morning @ 8am with Slocaus for my first ride to the top of Madonna Mountain [Mt San Luis?]. It was 37 degrees when I left the house, probably 45 at the start of the ride. I encountered friendly hikers, little mud, great trail conditions with a fun climb up the fireroad and entertaining descent down a singletrack, no ice and great views. At the end of the ride temps were @ 60 degrees.Great stuff! :) A much longer ride tomorrow
Here's a few picture from today's ride::thumbsup:
The man loves the singlespeed. I knew you would join the hamster nation.

fc

1 - 20 of 43 Posts