Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Mtbr Founder
35,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are the local trails? If you've ridden them, share the scoop.

fc

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
Fast Eddy said:
Just a guess, but Santa Teresa should be avoided for a couple days. Yuck.
The trails at Santa Teresa were great on Wednesday after the first big rain. I did Stile Ranch and a few other trails and roads. There's only a couple of very small puddles and a couple post holes (into gopher holes) from horses who went out a little too early in the mud after the rain. Also, lots of mud clods were picked up by horses and spread all over, making the trails a little bumpy. But then, I have 140 mm of FS travel and barely notice.

Santa Teresa is so dry now that it can absorb small amounts of rain quite well. It's the real deep soaks over a few days or a few weeks over winter that turn the hard dry dirt into a gummy gelatin clay that sticks to everything.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Fremont Older - the golf course side is just fine. The reservoir side is a tad sticky.

Cupertino/San Jose only got .25 inch of rain! And that's after a month of dry weather. Couple that with the winds and the open areas in the south bay are dry. Winds do a lot for drying up exposed trails.

------
from midpen Dec 6

Long Ridge
  • Peters Creek Trail is CLOSED to horses and bikes.

Long Ridge Trail is CLOSED to horses and bikes.

Ridge Trail - Chestnut Orchard is CLOSED to horses and bikes

Achistaca Trail is CLOSED to horses and bikes.
Monte Bello
  • White Oak Trail is CLOSED to horses and bikes.

Skid Road Trail is CLOSED to horses and bikes.
Purisima Creek Redwoods Whittemore Gulch Trail is CLOSED to horses and bikes.

fc

·
Registered
670 Posts
Skeggs

Rode Skeggs this afternoon. Resolution and lower El Corte are pretty good. A little slick, and a couple of mud holes that required hopping skillz.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
As of Dec. 8th, all the trails at ST are closed. Shucks. Of course if you choose to still ride you'll risk an expensive ticket.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I'm pretty sure

Since they don't melt when they get wet, I'm pretty sure the rocks and boulders, etc. that Slocaus and I are going to be pummeled by tomorrow are still sitting in EXACTLY the same location they were before it rained yesterday. :thumbsup:

·
Mtbr Founder
35,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bikerbert said:
I called today, and everything at Arastradero is open. It isn't Gap, but none the less a place to ride.
I'm at Arastadero tomorrow. thanks!

fc

·
flow where ever you go
1,526 Posts
Saturday: waterdog doesn't get any better. Tacky but not muddy with a splash here and there to remind you that you are mountain biking.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Annadel: don't ride N & S Burma. The conditions there are horrible. Please stay off. Give me the winter and I'll get them back into shape for next year.

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
myitch said:
As of Dec. 8th, all the trails at ST are closed. Shucks. Of course if you choose to still ride you'll risk an expensive ticket.
ST meaning Santa Teresa? We did a very short ride there this morning. Plenty of bikers out, and the trails seemed to be in great shape. A ranger was in the parking lot and didn't say anything to us.

-Dan

1 - 20 of 55 Posts