Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Mtbr Founder
34,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's spring and we're all jonesin to ride. But three storms hit back to back and things will be sketchy.

Forecast looks good from here (except Friday) on so let's share real-world info as the trails dry out.

And don't jump the gun like this... 1458546_10202864791514853_1834327933_n.jpg

·
M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
3,584 Posts
I did a quick jaunt up/down Kennedy this morning and it was primo. Will probably get a bit muddier as it starts drying out

·
M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
3,584 Posts
And the first report is in. Win!
yeah Kennedy seems to do better immediately after (or during) rain...don't get me wrong, your bike will have a nice dirt-a-dot pattern on it afterwards, but nothing super sticky. Even that slight descent at the beginning, that's typically very soft, was in descent shape.

Get some....

·
sunnyside up
1,193 Posts
Demo is soggy slimy. Spoke and der eating sticks abound. But the sun is out so maybe we will see some drying.

Patty

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I inspected the lower section of Emma McCrary this morning. It was just barely rideable. I turned around before I got to the flat section at the top. That will take a while to dry out.

·
I'm really diggin it!
3,078 Posts
Camp Tamarancho Flow Trail is closed through Friday. We hope things will be open for the weekend crew. I'm out of town but Dan Barnes reports:

Endor will remain closed through Friday. Likely open Saturday 4/5. Definitely open Sunday 4/6.

Sounds like it was super muddy out there. Give Tamarancho a rest and check out China Camp. It dries much faster than Tamarancho. Usually 2 days after rain conditions are perfect at the higher elevations and south facing trails at China Camp.

Shoreline trail at China Camp is usually a no go after a rain but other than that it drains very well there.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
yeah Kennedy seems to do better immediately after (or during) rain...don't get me wrong, your bike will have a nice dirt-a-dot pattern on it afterwards, but nothing super sticky. Even that slight descent at the beginning, that's typically very soft, was in descent shape.

Get some....
I may change my plans today and get some Kennedy. I did not want to have to carry 5 lbs of mud on my tires up that thing. Then, going down dog meat and over grown with said mud would be "fun"

I will have to look. I was going to haul my camera up Hwy 9 to Castle Rock, on my road rig, to take some pictures.

Humm, decisions, decisions

·
Mtbr Founder
34,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
St. Joes today is dialed. Even the normally muddy section near the gate is dry-ish.

fc

·
Just here for the scenery
354 Posts
This was Lookout Ridge on Fort Ord last Sunday, after that 1/2" of rain Saturday night:

LookoutMud.jpg

So for folks pre-riding Sea Otter, I'd stay away from that, and the connector road between Lookout and Pilarcitos Cyn, for a couple of days. Those are the only spots I ran into construction-grade sticky clay.

The rest of Ord was nice damp sand on Sunday and barring further rain, should likely be nice this weekend.

·
Custom User Title
7,429 Posts
Fremont Older was just fine this afternoon.The upper 2/3 of Toyon is closed but everything else is just fine. Seven Springs is a fast track right now.
Masie's to Bottom of 7 springs: average speed 17.3mi/h... tsk tsk tsk.. At least they do not ticket by Strava so far. :)

1 - 20 of 74 Posts