Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
a dad
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how are the jeffco trails looking (gm, dr, apex etc)...did that area get a lot of rain? rained pretty good last night in denver, hoping to ride this week but if not would like to plan on some bike maintenance if things don't look good....thanks

·
Perpetually single track
3,175 Posts
stay off green fer sure with it's clay...I'm betting the other trails have faired better....but honestly I'm bettin none are real good right now...

someone please contracdict me with hard info(pun intended), I'd REALLY like to ride wed.

·
Your bike sucks
2,566 Posts
Quite a bit of rain - even today (short rain bursts, hail, even snow). I was out there working and it was pretty soupy. Based on what I saw today and the forecasted weather report, I don't anticipate doing a trail ride until the weekend at the earliest.

For reference, the top of Apex had 3-4'' of snow and was so muddy and soupy it was difficult to walk up or down. Got out of there before damage out-weighed the benefit. Hopefully.

Road for me this week.

·
Your bike sucks
2,566 Posts
It was pretty warm today and it's dried off some. I worked up high where there was still snow until mid-afternoon. I spoke to co-workers who stayed low and they thought that the trails would be sensible to ride if it stayed dry tonight/tomorrow. They worked part of MW, White Ranch and Mt. Falcon. I know that Apex was terrible yesterday but I'm very optimistic for Dakota/MW, WR, and maybe parts of Grn Mtn tomorrow....Every park had some very bad/muddy areas and I'm sure they are the usual suspects so use best judgement on deciding on what to ride. I know that there were riders on WR & MW and it didn't sound like they tore it up too bad. My plan is to ride a small section of Bear Creek and use that as a barometer for Grn Mtn. It's my commute in so it'll be very early and I'm hoping to beat the rain.

I stuck to the road today. Windy. Yuck.

·
Perpetually single track
3,175 Posts
Carl Mega said:
I stuck to the road today. Windy. Yuck.
Q. What's worse than riding into a 20mph headwind with skinnies?

A. Doing it on 2.4 knobbies.....

*sigh*

I'll likely be on the road bike tomorrow myself, partaking of the climbs Boulder has to offer. I'd rather climb than deal with the wind on the flats.

·
My cup runneth over
2,426 Posts
Sneaked in a late afternoon ride on GM/Zorro/DR/MW (Tuesday). I rode from Coyote Gulch park up through the Alameda tunnel and went west on the GM south trail. Rode up Zorro - DR - MW - DR - Zorro and home:

Can't speak for all of GM but the couple of miles on the lower south trail were not bad. I only ported for about 10 yards, the rest was dry/damp with no mud/clay build up on the tires. Some puddles but where mud it was typically on just one side of the trail and easily avoidable.

Zorro - two short portages close to the bottom otherwise fine.

DR A few puddles/wet spots - the first set of stairs after Zorro which tend to be wet were not bad at all. I was able to climb them all without spinning out or dabbing. (not the case with the second set, but they were dry!)

MW - Great shape. only one 10 yard portage right as you get on the trail (the stream overflowed). Still some puddles and damp spots but not 'muddy'.

I got more mud on the bike going through the Alameda tunnel than the whole rest of the ride. :)

If no further rain Tuesday (and it looks good right now). These spots should be good to go Wednesday with just a little care and portage necessary.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.