Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
just another bleepin SSer
1,461 Posts
Watch the Passion Trail Bikes web site. Patty, who is a docent for MidPen, runs trail projects at Water Dog, used to be on Santa Clara Parks and Rec commission, used to run trail projects for Vocal, etc., has written the first of two articles on where to ride in the winter. The first one covers the basics of soils types and how they handle water.
http://www.passiontrailbikes.com/articles/2008/12/19/soil-types-and-where-to-ride-in-winter-part-1

Next, she promised an article that will cover more details about specific parks in the Bay Area and how they handle the rain.

·
Registered
296 Posts
It seems obvious that riding in areas with more rock would be a great place to start. It helps with drainage and is less apt to have trail impactions from being to wet and impressionable.

In any event no matter where you go there is going to be areas that will need to be approached with caution and grace. Practice your dismounting skills whenever you are in doubt.

·
Registered
71 Posts
This is my favorite time to ride. Those easy trails become hard, and the technical trails are, well, technical. The hikers and horse riders are off the trails. The only people you may see are super hard core trail runners. If I keep my hands and feet dryish, my rides are a blast.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,470 Posts
It is going to be a mess in most places in the south bay/peninsula. Darryl was at Waterdog two days ago and his bike was caked in mud. I was at Kennedy yesterday and although that trail was fine, you can see it getting waterlogged.

It's raining today and there's no sun and wind before the weekend.

I hate to say it but it's roadie and indoor trainer weekend unless you can get to some of the good draining trails (fort ord, kennedy, rockville).

At least next week's gunna be sunny :rolleyes: .

fc

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,165 Posts
Come on up to R-Ville! You've not been there in, umm, uhhh, hey its been one helluva long time.
I think I'm going there tomorrow AM. It'll be a chilly ride.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,596 Posts
Palomares road. :) I'm jonesing for a Rockville ride though. I haven't been there in such a long time. Gas is cheap but weather looks bad for Sunday.

·
too late to die young now
342 Posts
wet and cold in SC - still raining today ... the mud is deep now, will take a week to dry out

looks like CX season is here! i suggest hitting the Big Basin - Gazos Creek -> Sandy Point -> Cloverdale and up Butano FR -> China Grade -> BB

great ride, beautiful groves of Redwoods ... mostly fire roads which is why it's still good when wet ... enjoy!

·
Nature Rider, Not MTBer
2,695 Posts
Felton_Flyer said:
wet and cold in SC - still raining today ... the mud is deep now, will take a week to dry out

looks like CX season is here! i suggest hitting the Big Basin - Gazos Creek -> Sandy Point -> Cloverdale and up Butano FR -> China Grade -> BB

great ride, beautiful groves of Redwoods ... mostly fire roads which is why it's still good when wet ... enjoy!
My favorite rainy weather ride! Something tells me I'll be cruising those trails soon. :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.