Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
aka Flatballer
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Missing a couple build pieces (wheels, brakes, headset)

I just bought an '08 Stumpy FSR 120mm frame. Bought a Magura Thor 140 fork (20mm T/A).

I've got 9 speed XTR from my XC bike that I'm gonna move over. I'm looking for a headset, wheelset, and possibly brakes. I currently have Magura Marta SL on my XC bike, with 160mm rotors front and rear.

I'm assuming that for a trail bike I probably shouldn't be running Marta SL. I was thinking of going with some Louise, 180mm front and 160 rear. Any other ideas?

For the wheelset I definitely want tubeless, and I'm leaning towards some Mavic 819 Discs from Bicycle Wheel Warehouse. I was gonna go with XT CL hubs, 20mm front, 9mm QR rear, DT Swiss Comp 2.0/1.8, and black brass nipples. $375 from BWW.

On the headset, I'm not even sure what headset this bike needs. I think it's a traditional threadless 1-1/8", but on the website it mentions Campy standard, which I thought was an integrated. Looking at the head tube it looks traditional to me.

What headset is good for this bike and for trail riding?

Thanks for reading.

·
greedy
482 Posts
I'll just say that, on the wheels, I would give Stans Flows a look. I think they are a little heavier, but they are about the same price as 819s and your tire size won't be as limited. I'm running 819s and love them, they are strong and stiff, but I've gotten to where I want to run a larger tire on the front (Trail King 2.4) and it is going to be pushing it. If you don't plan on running anything bigger than 2.3 (or small 2.4--ie Mountain Kings) you will probably love the 819s.

Also, I just got a screaming deal on the Elixir Rs and love them. They are stout. I didn't get the CRs because I have no interest in the pad contact adjustment and I put Straitline levers on all my brakes, so the carbon levers are a waste on me too. I don't know anything about the Magura stuff. I also have no good advice on headsets. I always run Kings, but I think I am a dying breed.

·
aka Flatballer
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, headset chosen, and brakeset.

Stuck with the Magura Marta SL, but bought a post-mount for the front so I wouldn't have to use an adapter. Gonna stick with 160/160 for now and see how it goes.

Just bought a Cane Creek 110.TR off eBay, in Red. Decided to put a little bling on there.

Now just need wheels. I might post a wheels thread in wheels. I basically need 20mm front, 6 bolt, trail wheels. I'm leaning towards Mavic 819 rims with DT Comp 1.8/1.6 spokes and DT 340 hubs. 2000g and $710.

·
aka Flatballer
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
build is all chosen and ordered. Just gotta wait for it all to get here.

The Magura fork is a 180mm standard front brake, so I got a 2010 XT 180mm CL front disc, ordered an XT 160mm centerlock rear.

Getting a set of wheels built by my local shop. Mavic XM819 rim, XT centerlock 20mm T/A front, QR rear, DT Comp 2.0/1.8 spokes, brass nipples, all black.

Gonna stick with my Magura Marta SL brakeset, but I bought a post-mount front caliper from eBay and I'll sell my other style (ISO?) front caliper.

Bought a Cane Creek 110.TR in red off eBay for some bling in the headset.

Got Panaracer Rampage 2.35 for the front and Maxxis Ignitor 2.1 for the rear from my shop, he recommended them, so I'll try them out.

Thanks for all the help. I'll have a build report when I get it all finished.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts