Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Sentinel
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! My family and I are coming to Missoula to visit relatives July 12-16, and I'm looking for information about your local trails. My son and I will be bringing our bikes, and want to ride a couple of days while we're there. We're both intermediate riders, and I'm a short, fat, old guy, while he's a young, fit, 17 year old. In the interest of space, we'll probably only bring the hardtail bikes on this trip. Where is the best place to get info..local shops, must-do rides, etc? I've looked at the LIMB website, but there isn't much in the way of trail info there. It kinda looks like my website...old and out of date. Anyway, any help you could give me in planning our trip would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :D

·
Banned
10,899 Posts
what kinds of trails do you want to ride? the recommended trails would depend on the kinds of rides you want to do.

the LIMB website isn't "out of date." there aren't any new trails. there are some minor reroutes of existing trails, but nothing that's new.

Bike Doctor, Missoula Bicycle Works, Big Sky Cycles, Open Road are the bike shops in town. Folks at any one of them can point you in the direction of trails.

·
The Sentinel
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm...I guess it would help if I were more specific...

We'll be bringing our hardtails, so we'd prefer some XC oriented trails. I don't mind fire/forest roads if they lead to some singletrack. And I'm a fat, old guy, so all day epics are out of the question, but 3-4 hour intermediate rides would be just the ticket. Thanks again for the help.

gonzostrike said:
what kinds of trails do you want to ride? the recommended trails would depend on the kinds of rides you want to do.

the LIMB website isn't "out of date." there aren't any new trails. there are some minor reroutes of existing trails, but nothing that's new.

Bike Doctor, Missoula Bicycle Works, Big Sky Cycles, Open Road are the bike shops in town. Folks at any one of them can point you in the direction of trails.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Start with Blue Mountain, Pattee Canyon, and the Kim Williams Trail. All of these trails are in Missoula. Be careful of horses, hikers, transients, hippies, smellies, dogs, and dog$**** along the trail. As for the other trails that are a bit more secluded, that's a heavily guarded secret. ;) Due to the traffic in/around Missoula, I'd avoid riding the above trails on weekends.

Kreiss Pond in Frenchtown isn't too bad. That's where I ride to get away from people. Also, there is some riding along the Blackfoot near Johnsrud on Hwy 200. Just remember, the less people the better, esp. when you're on a bike.

·
The Sentinel
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info

We'll be arriving in the evening on Wednesday, and hopefully will be riding most of the day Thursday and Friday. Thanks for the trail info.:)

·
The Sentinel
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just wanted to thank everyone who helped!

We had a fantastic time riding in Missoula last week. We spent a couple of days exploring the Rattlesnake NRA, and one day riding at Snowbowl. You guys have some fantastic trails so close to home...I'm jealous. That Rattlesnake area is a real gem...so close, and such variety. Some of those trails were pretty steep for a fat guy, but we enjoyed them all. And the Beargrass Highway at Snowbowl is now one of my top-10 favorite descents! Thanks again...btw, we'll be back next summer to ride Blue Mountain! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.