Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on building up a dedicated All Mountain / Trail / Gravity-Enduro (seems to have a lot of names these days) SingleSpeed Steel steed that can take a beating and not shy away from drops, jumps, rockgardens etc.

It needs to be fairly burly and able to handle a beating.

The build kit will look like this no matter what frame I end up going with:

Pike 140mm RCT3 Solo Air (or maybe 150mm)
Niner/CK Headset
Project 321 Hubset on Arch/Flow Rims
Hans Dampf rubber
Shimano XT Brakeset w Ice Tech Rotors
Shimano XT Crankset w 32t Chainring
KMC x9SL Gold Chain
King 20t Cog
Renthal Bar Fatbar
Renthal Duo Stem
ODI Lock On Grips
Fizik Gobi XM Manganese
Reverb Stealth Post

I have narrowed my choice down to either a Niner ROS 9 or a Transition TransAM 29er.

Can't decide and am keen to hear from people with experience riding these bikes set up SS on the sort of trails that I am looking to ride it on.

Any feed back welcome.

*disclaimer, I am not looking to ride a geared bike, nor am I looking to ride a FS rig. I don't really care about cost.

·
Robtre
706 Posts
I too am on this same mission. I would like to throw Canfield Nimble 9 into the discussion. This has been on my mind for quite some time now and I will share my thoughts.

ROS9- This would be my first choice but I really don't want EBB ever again. I know they have come a long way but I was burned bad by an older EBB and I will never do that again. Geometry looks good to me.

Transition TransAM 29- Everything looks good here with exception of the geometry. I really want short chainstay length.

Canfield Nimble 9-This bike does it all for me. Short Chainstays, short wheelbase, rear drop-out adjustability. One drawback might be that it doesn't appear to be 140mm travel friendly and thats ok with me 120mm is plenty for me I don't need more than that.

Also Kona Honzo looks pretty Rad too.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Canfield Nimble 9-This bike does it all for me. Short Chainstays, short wheelbase, rear drop-out adjustability. One drawback might be that it doesn't appear to be 140mm travel friendly and thats ok with me 120mm is plenty for me I don't need more than that.
Where'd you hear the N9 wasn't 140mm friendly?!?! The Gen2 N9 ROCKS at 140mm. I ran mine that way for some time and it was awesome. There's a lot of people running Nimbles at 140 for sure.

Between the Tranny and the Niner I would go Tranny just because I wouldn't want an EBB. But the Nimble 9 was at the top of my list in this category, at least for frames under $1,000.

·
Yeet so hard
680 Posts
Banshee Paradox

I was looking at the Trans Am, Paradox, Yelli Screamy, Honzo and Taro... All very similar bikes with their pros and cons... I would have gone with the Yelli or the Paradox out of the list.

I didnt wind up going with any of them though lol...

·
Robtre
706 Posts
Where'd you hear the N9 wasn't 140mm friendly?!?! The Gen2 N9 ROCKS at 140mm. I ran mine that way for some time and it was awesome. There's a lot of people running Nimbles at 140 for sure.

Between the Tranny and the Niner I would go Tranny just because I wouldn't want an EBB. But the Nimble 9 was at the top of my list in this category, at least for frames under $1,000.
Yeah you are right I went to the site to drool a bit more and read that Gen2 geo was 140mm friendly. My bad yo

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Yeah you are right I went to the site to drool a bit more and read that Gen2 geo was 140mm friendly. My bad yo
HAHA No worries, I was just thinking maybe I had missed something, or that you were talking about the Gen 1 N9, which was more XC friendly.

tims - Yelli isn't *true* ss-able... or that would be the top of my list. Both my Yelli and my N9 are a hoot to ride. :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Loving all the feed back guys.

At this stage I believe I am leaning towards the Canfield.

Full custom is also an option, however I live in Queensland Australia and would not know where to go here for that kind of work. Also I quite enjoy building up bikes myself.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The canfield appears small in size (ETT and Reach). I normally run medium frames, but think I should go for a Large Nimble 9 in order to run a 50mm Stem and not feel cramped on the bike. I'm 178tall with 32" inseam at 75kgs.

Any owners of the Nimble 9 who can provide fees back on size/fit?

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I'm your exact size: 5' 10" with a 32.5" inseam and ~160lbs. I ran mine with an 80mm stem and 800mm bars. Fit was great. I sat on a Large and it was actually fine, too, but I prefered a smaller frame for the intended purpose of throwing it around.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Again, thanks for the feed back guys - very much appreciated.

I'll shoot Canfield an email to get their opinion as well.

I prefer a short stem, 50mm, and would like to run 780mm bars, but some of the local terrain does not allow more than 700mm wide - if you do you go OTB and your rig stops between trees ;-) This leads me to conclude that I am probably better of with the Large, but will check with canfield to be sure.

Personal preference is to go with the medium for flickability - but would hate for it to be too short with 700mm bars and 50mm stem.

Cheers

·
Registered
345 Posts
Yelli has a bit longer TT than the N9... I'm 5'10", 175 lbs, and a 31" inseam. My Yelli Medium fits like a glove, and the large was too big for me. With the Nimble I rode a large and a medium, both works, so I went with the medium.
We have pretty much the same measurements.

OP, I'm on a medium N9 as well, I run a 70mm stem with 785 bars and the fit for me is spot on. I initially tried a 50mm stem felt like I didn't have the front end weighted enough for my liking to really get the front end to work quite right when riding aggressively. I ended up settling a 0 deg 65mm stem and things were pretty much dialed, I recently threw on a +/- 6 deg with swapping parts to lighten the bike up and really like it as well. I run a 130mm fork and find it about perfect for the riding that I do... fast & chunky descents but drops are typically 2ft or less, if you ride bigger stuff the extra travel might be nice to have. Either way you really cant go wrong with the N9, its the funnest bike in my stable by far and it really shines on flowy medium to high speed stuff.

The only negative I have is the weight, with your planned build kit you are probably going to be in the 28lbs range. My build started out pretty similar to yours and was mid 28 when I built the bike. I've put mine on a diet lately and with a few more part swaps, including a carbon wheelset should be in the upper 25 low 26lb range and I'll pretty happy with that, going much lighter would require getting pretty stupid expensive with parts. Without a dropper post 25lbs or less would be pretty easy but getting rid of it would kill the fun factor 10 fold.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I wouldn't sweat the weight. These bikes ride MUCH lighter than they are. Sounds stupid, but it's true.

Then again I am the opposite of a weight weenie. I'll take strength and durability over light weight every single time. Even on the commuter bike (roadie)

·
Registered
157 Posts
+1 For The Reeb

Try looking at REEB. They are purpose built just for your needs and built around a 140 fork. Dave will build you up exactly what you want. Redstone Cyclery
Definitely check out Reeb before you pull the trigger on the Niner or Transition. I am pretty sure that Dave at Redstone sells the Trans Am too - so could give you some head to head feedback.

For what it is worth, I have built up 21 lbs of SS trail bike - and have been loving life...

Think I am going to get a TALAS 34 110/140 for a stiffer front end - little less XC by summer. Overall - LOVING the Reeb, Made in the USA with pride.

Here's my bike:
http://forums.mtbr.com/singlespeed/all-mountain-reeb-first-ride-impressions-review-900803.html

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.