Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am looking into a trail/all-mountain hardtail, preferably with an aluminum or titanium frame. The trails I ride most of the time are usually 80% flow, 20% tech blues, with one or two decent jumps. I am 5'7", with a long torso, and weigh about 155 lbs. with gear. My budget is 5,000 USD before taxes and the likes.

This bike would be mostly used for casual riding, but will be occasionally used for an XC race. I am willing to either buy the bike complete or build it from a frame (suggest major components, like the fork, drivetrain, wheels, etc.).

What I am looking at right now is a hardtail with about 130-150mm of travel and fairly slack geometry. I am currently riding a 2020 Specialized Pitch, which rattles my hands to death on every trail. I tried my friend's 2021 SC Hightower, and I liked the braking power and the geometry, but I think that it would be too much bike for the trails I ride. I would also like this bike to be lighter weight than my Pitch (about 27 lbs. or less preferred). I would also prefer 29" wheels.

I have been searching for a bike to meet these criteria, and found several that came close, but none that have fully filled these requirements.

Thanks for your time and your knowledge.

·
Registered
15,287 Posts
A Spot Rocker, although carbon would be in your budget.
For titanium a RSD Middlechild.
Steve(Hardtail Party) has about the same dimensions as you do. He is developing a titanium frame with a manufacturer you may be interested in. Email him.
130mm is a good travel amount for the use and more you're suggesting.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
My HT (frame) is a 2017 Nukeproof Scout 290 built up around:

-140mm Rockshox Yari (maybe swapping out for Lyrik Ultimate or Fox Factory 36).
-SLX 11 speed drivetrain
-Sunrace 11-46t cassette
-AB 30t oval chainring
-Zee 170mm crankset
-Deore BB
-Sram Guide brakes w/ 200/180 rotors & sintered pads
-180mm Oneup dropper w/ Oneup remote lever
-Kore 3.0 wheels on DT Swiss 350 hubs, rear hub has 36t ratchet upgrade
-Tires *Summer = 29x2.6 Dissector Exo 3C MT (F) 29x2.5 Exo Aggressor (R), Winter = 29x2.5 WTB Vigilante (F) 29x2.5 High Roller (R)
-780mm Fatboy Funn Bar
-Spank 50mm stem
-Raecface grips
-Charge Cooker saddle

Wheelbase is around 1240mm

STA is around 74° (static)

HTA is around 65.5° (static)

It's a super capable, versatile steed.

For around 8 months in 2018, it was my only bike (some different parts back then o/c).

I rode it on all of my local trails.

I got a little more tenderized than when riding an FS rig.

But, bike handled it all.

I've also done Endurance type events on it, different tyres o/c.

I've done a back packing trip on 'The Old Ghost Road' over a couple days too with it.

I've even contemplated going single speed on it , to help with my climbing prowess (240lb Clyde, needs all the help he can get on smooth, long, grinder climbs).

Be pushing 50 in 14 months :eek: so, am thinking my HT days are almost behind me.

Boy is big enough and rides it now.

He'll migrate to short travel FS 29er, when his younger brother can ride the HT.

Sent from my Asus Rog 3

·
Something goes here...
2,109 Posts
Aluminum? I'd go steel or ti personally. I dig ti but a good XO steel frame rides almost as well. With your budget, you could easily pick a small builder and work with them to get a perfect fitting bike. I've gone this route twice (once ti and once steel) and both frames were great. I actually preferred the steel over the ti.

I've been riding my Samsara HT for 4 or 5 years now and I still look forward to riding it every time I'm throwing a leg over it. Matt did a great job and I couldn't be happier. When I go custom for a gravel bike, I'll go through Matt again.

Do some research on small builders and you'll find many, many good ones. Jeremy at Sycip is another good one and it was a toss up for me between a Samsara and a Sycip. Couldn't go wrong with either.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Nukeproof Scout is one of the options I found, but it is hard to get where I am (about 1,000 mi from the closest dealer), and I think it may be a bit too harsh for what I'm looking at. I am mainly looking at a Ti bike now for the ride quality without the worries of steel rusting.

·
Registered
15,287 Posts
Ti doesn't always automatically give you the compliant ride you may want. The frame builder has to design that into the tube specs and geo. Compare the ride reviews for the Stanton Sherpa steel vs titanium.

Getting the right compliance in your hardtail is a challenge.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I did more research and found some 'Downcountry' bikes within my requirements, and I was wondering about how one of those would do in comparison to a hardtail with about 130mm of travel.
No clue.
All I know is
Both the
NukeProof Scout
And the
RSD Middlechild
Are DANK AF
And if
You got one
And didn’t like it
There could be
Something wrong
With you

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I did more research and found some 'Downcountry' bikes within my requirements, and I was wondering about how one of those would do in comparison to a hardtail with about 130mm of travel.
Depends on what kind of ridding you like to do most often. An All Mountain hard tail is going to be a little more on the burly side, great for rowdy trails. A Down Country bike is a step more capable than an XC bike. So if long days in the saddle putting in miles is more your thing, than a DC bike may suit you better.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Ti doesn't always automatically give you the compliant ride you may want. The frame builder has to design that into the tube specs and geo. Compare the ride reviews for the Stanton Sherpa steel vs titanium.

Getting the right compliance in your hardtail is a challenge.
I personally would go with a hydro formed aluminum frame than Ti frame. Bike brands learned a ton from carbon about how to optimize the shape. Hydro form Aluminum is very effective and no worry about carbon void.

If OP is not very picky amount seat angle, he can overfork and/or mullet to get 90% there. Fatigue hands is all about the fork choice.

Lastly, peak torque has a video comparing Ti and Aluminum.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry for the delayed response, but after much research and test-riding, I have narrowed my search down to one bike, the 2021 Trek Top Fuel.
From my research, it seems that the main argument (aside from reduce complexity and maintenance) for hardtails is that they are less capable, forcing you to become better to compensate (I'm paraphrasing here), and that, from what I have heard, the problem is not necessarily in the fact that the rear wheel moves up and down, but rather in the fact that bikes are too capable for todays trails, which is what led me to a shorter travel FS bike. I would have gone even shorter travel, given the choice, but the full XC bikes don't have good brakes or some of the other features I wanted.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.