Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to give a heads up, I70 west bound is a parking lot from Morrison exit up to Empire exit. Just got back from WP (raining descently at 11:30am) and saw the wknd madness.

Edit: couldn't see 40 very well, but what I did see of it was clear.

·
Registered
773 Posts
70 was fine in the AM, also just got back from WP and still the same westbound. 40 looked fine but you still need to get to it.

·
Now with 10% more!
407 Posts
That looked miserable!

We left Winter Park at about 430 and it was completely backed up west bound for miles and miles!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Up at Wp right now and was a slow go but moving at 10 am. 40 was wide open when we got to it at 11 am.. Nice night up here in the high 40's to 50 deg right now and 9. 45

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kinda makes me want to stay away from the resorts tomorrow (Sunday). Maybe I'll go for a road ride - Golden, Morrison, Evergreen, back to Golden via 40. There's a stretch from Evergreen Pkwy to Chart House on I70. I wonder how pissed I can make those on the eastbound parking lot when I float by on my road bike :D

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Not going home Via 70 .I don't want to sit on the hwy so we will head north and head back Via RMNP.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Klein_Christopher said:
Not going home Via 70 .I don't want to sit on the hwy so we will head north and head back Via RMNP.:thumbsup:
Woooo... Spent Friday in Estes and hit WP thru RMNP. Never drove thru it before till today. WHAT views!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Pau11y said:
Woooo... Spent Friday in Estes and hit WP thru RMNP. Never drove thru it before till today. WHAT views!
I have never gone home that way so this should be fun..:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
lidarman said:
I watched the webcams on CDOT today just for entertainment.
No ****.. when i pulled out of WP i was dammm .The Line went for miles hell it want way back must of been 10 or 15 miles long west of WP and ended just north of Granby

Who in there right mind would sit on I70? :madman:

·
Now with 10% more!
407 Posts
Klein_Christopher said:
No ****.. when i pulled out of WP i was dammm .The Line went for miles hell it want way back must of been 10 or 15 miles long west of WP and ended just north of Granby

Who in there right mind would sit on I70? :madman:
Just curious, how much longer does it take to take (???????) Trail ridge road vs. I70? (Assuming 70 is actually moving) I'm in Ft. Collins if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Da Dook said:
Just curious, how much longer does it take to take (???????) Trail ridge road vs. I70? (Assuming 70 is actually moving) I'm in Ft. Collins if it makes a difference.
With No traffic and i live in Broomfield just over an hr 1/2 but took us 3 hrs going thu RMNP back to Broomfield. There was no way in hell i was going back on I70 on a holiday weekend.

Trail Ridge road is ripped up and you have to go slow.

·
Thread Terrorist
5,854 Posts
We were in Crested Butte for the weekend. Wonderful until Sunday.

We opted to take Hwy 50 back (we usually always take Cottonwood pass) due to the large amount of road maggots (5th wheels, Large RV's etc) that were on the road (and they do attempt Cottonwood too much). There was an accident on hwy 50 that caused huge back ups.

We went back over cottonwood, which wasn't bad. There was STOPPED traffic 1 mile out of Buena Vista headed north to Denver. It was an hour of 3 mph until the hwy 24 turn off. It was horrible at bailey as well due to the last few stop lights at the top of that hill. I expected the Bailey delay, but not the hour + outside of Buena Vista!

·
Shread Ready
1,287 Posts
I feel for anyone that got caught in that mess. I saw a lady they were interviewing on the news at 5. She said it took 2 1/2 hrs to drive from Dillon to Idaho Springs.

·
friend of Apex
4,007 Posts
IndecentExposure said:
We were in Crested Butte for the weekend. Wonderful until Sunday.

We opted to take Hwy 50 back (we usually always take Cottonwood pass) due to the large amount of road maggots (5th wheels, Large RV's etc) that were on the road (and they do attempt Cottonwood too much). There was an accident on hwy 50 that caused huge back ups.

We went back over cottonwood, which wasn't bad. There was STOPPED traffic 1 mile out of Buena Vista headed north to Denver. It was an hour of 3 mph until the hwy 24 turn off. It was horrible at bailey as well due to the last few stop lights at the top of that hill. I expected the Bailey delay, but not the hour + outside of Buena Vista!
Holy shiite!

Glad I took off Sat night !!!
What is with those lights in Bailey, seriously? Their flow make NO sense.

Where did you ride in CB?

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Having been caught in the Sunday afternoon nightmare on I-70 too many times, I have given up and cut my weekends short from late June until after Labor Day. I came back from Moab Saturday afternoon and literally flew down I-70 all the way in.

This means no SV, WP or Keystone on Sundays. Saturday or weekdays only.

It sucks to have to plan your life around I-70 traffic, but about the third time you take four hours to go from Vail to Idaho Springs, you realize Sundays in the high country just aren't worth it. If I am in Moab, I leave by 6 AM if I am returning on Sunday, which means you might as well just come back on Saturday night. Oh, and if you are going somewhere on Friday, forget about westbound from 3:30 PM to about 7:00 PM.

I can't believe the traffic on US 40 was backed up all the way to Granby. That is insane.

This is the one reason I hope gas hits $5.00/gal soon.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts