Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok my x6 has developed a annoying noise that has evolved into a crack @ the weld at the
seat tube and back of top tube cross member.....that being said....if i were to trade up...
what do migrate to....the teremoto or the labruja? does the x5 rear end bolt up to the teremoto or labruja....

any feed back is appreciated....

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,680 Posts
If you are interested in climbing, stay with a Terremoto.
If you want to ride ladders and do drops go for the Bruja.

Pretty simple.

·
melon farmer
567 Posts
X5 to Terremoto swap

I cracked my X5 front triangle and mounted up my 2006 HD rear triangle from the X5 directly onto a 2007 Terremoto front end.. perfect.

The Terremoto is an excellent bike, but I still miss my X5. Can't go wrong either way, but if you are moving up to bigger stunts, go to the Moto or even the Bruja if you plan on going really silly. I'm still amazed at how versatile the X5 is, esp with the 5/6 rockers if they're still available.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
hey monkey schwine,
yeah, I will actually write this up after having talked to you on the phone, might as well consolidate the information for public consumption!

Yeah, the rear HD will mount right up, as the TM comes with the HD (whereas astandard X comes with the non-HD rear triangle).
Shock length on the 07/08 TM is 7.875x2.25, so the same i2i/stroke as your X has since you have the 5/6 rockers.
Shock tuning will be different - the TM has a falling ratio at the end of travel, so more mechanical bottom out control is necessary because it isn't built into the curve like it was on your X.
The rockers might or might not work...there is one person on here who was running the old rockers (5/6) on his TM, but I figure that there is a reason why Ventana swapped rockers with me when I upgraded.

For 2009 the TM uses new rockers that yeild 160mm travel and steepen up the angles relative to what the ventana site shows now. That information is in the 2009 ventana thread here. I don't know what the difference in ride quality etc is.

I will dig up a couple other posts and see if I can get you my comparison here in a bit...juggling the kiddos at the moment!
CharacterZero said:
Saturday: 16ish mile ride. Good first leg to stretch out the legs and then lots of up/down/technical riding with a few creek crossings and steep switchbacks, followed by a sweeping descent that begs for little braking.

The bike felt great! The TM is a stronger climber than the X-6 was (with the fork at any length). The front end was easier to keep on the ground, especially around uphill switchbacks. On the way down, the rear end felt very smooth, this was running both 5 clicks of compression and 0 clicks compression on the PUSH'd shock. (FWIW, PUSH removes the PP functionality - it is hard-wired based on rider weight/style. The PP lever then becomes a straight compression dampening function.). The performance of the shock is in line with what you expect from PUSH - it felt snappy on acceleration on the flats with minimal compression dampening, but wallowed a bit on the steeper stuff. Then again, I wouldn't sacrifice an active rear suspension for anything, so the bit of wallow is completely acceptable. The geometry is definitely a bit more drop-friendly; it took almost no body english to get the front end up while approaching ledges, just a slight tug. I didn't notice the longer wheelbase. Standover was fine (although close - but the wife says that it can only save us money on a vasectomy). BB height was noticeably lower (both in feeling just a bit lower and a couple pedal strikes in sections that I hadn't had before).
I did start to cramp a little early on in this ride (been off the bike for a bit and didn't bring electrolytes), but made it back to the car without becoming a writhing heap of flesh on the trail.

Sunday: 7ish mile hilly ride.
I was toast from Saturday - it had been a month off the bike and I didn't feel it until about mile 3 of this ride! I was messing with the compression settings on the Lyrik and it cost me a climb...and a subsequent fall (I made it up the ledge, but got stymied by a rock on there and rocked back as a result of too much compression dampening...well, rocked back and fell to the downhill side of the hill). The bike came out a-ok. So did I.
I made a couple of climbs that I used to not make consistently, so this is in line with the better climbing stance. Dropped a couple of things I usually roll, so that felt nice too! Still getting that lyrik dialed, mainly b/c the low speed compression dictates the range of high speed settings.

All in all, I am stoked to have the new build. I was pleasantly surprised that my first complete build went so well, I got it all put together in about 4 hours and everything functioned correctly, save a squeak in the front brake. Nothing is more confidence inspiring than knowing that all of the parts are installed and functioning correctly! If there is a weight difference b/t this and the X (all of the parts transferred over), then I don't know it and didn't notice it on the trail.

There will be none of that...red bling is left over from the last build and will disappear over time.
Whole thread here.

·
melon farmer
567 Posts
CharacterZero said:
hey monkey schwine,
The rockers might or might not work...there is one person on here who was running the old rockers (5/6) on his TM, but I figure that there is a reason why Ventana swapped rockers with me when I upgraded.
I ran my old X5 5/6 rockers for a little while on the Terremoto with a DHX coil and had no issues, but only used the 6" position. Can't say I really did much experimenting with these rockers and shock setup, but I may have wound in the bottom out control on the DHX. I checked personally with Sherwood at the time of the front triangle swap and he said the 5/6 rockers were fine on the Moto.

I swapped to the standard 6" Terremoto rockers when RSutton bought the 5/6 rockers for his Ciclon (which was soon traded in for a Moto as well).. From memory, the 6" Tmoto rockers had a slightly lower BB height (maybe 1/4") than the 5/6 rockers in 6" mode.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
kill el tigre...must kill el tigre...

stripes said:
How did you find the TM feels compared to an X6?

I notice my BB feels a bit higher on the 6" rockers and 36 Van, and I'm wondering how it would feel more as a TM..
The BB height is a little lower with the TM 150mm rear. There is a reason why someone on here had some eccentric shock mount spacers made..
The new 160mm rockers will change that.

SG's numbers on BB height are complete BS. Mount some real ****ing tires to that trail bike - or make it easily discernible that they are spec'd with 1.9 ignitors for the setup!

Are you going to kill the sole el tigre?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.