Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for tracking app with certain features. looking for suggestions to see what everyone uses.

i will list the features i am looking for and name of app i have used that has
said feature.

-tracking (obviously)- all apps
-automatic sync/upload to strava (prefered but not required)- trailforks
-offline trails - mtb project, trailforks
-downloadable map backgrounds for offline use - viewranger
-trail planner - viewranger, trailforks (not useable though), strava (sort of)

i use multiple apps to get all these features, but most often viewranger, for its downloadable map backgrounds that i really need as i ride and hike remote areas, and for its working trip planner. but i need to manually export gpx and import to strava.

was wandering if there is an app that has all this features under one roof

thanks

·
since 4/10/2009
34,356 Posts
no.

You get closest to this with a standalone mapping GPS.

-tracking (obviously)- all gps computers
-automatic sync/upload to strava (prefered but not required)- most can do this, but it's a software thing
-offline trails - yes, which ones depend on the map data available for your particular device, but a number are offering Trailforks integration now. Garmin probably has the most options available to acquire/display trail data. No matter what you use (whether it's an app, or a standalone computer, paper map, or whatever), there will be limitations.
-downloadable map backgrounds for offline use - yes. lots of companies offering mapping-capable bike GPS computers. the specific maps vary from brand to brand
-trail planner - you should be doing your planning before you ever go into the woods. Use a paper map. Build a route/course using any number of computer-based tools (either standalone programs or web-based tools). A phone (regardless of the app) is not a good tool for this.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks but i should have noted that i dont want to do dedicated device, went that route before and not going back.
smartphone app only.
i know how to plan my routes. trip planer is just to have a backup gps track that i create on my desktop prior to trip and overlay on my map so that i have another reference to follow. plus it gives me idea on mileage and vert.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,356 Posts
thanks but i should have noted that i dont want to do dedicated device, went that route before and not going back.
smartphone app only.
i know how to plan my routes. trip planer is just to have a backup gps track that i create on my desktop prior to trip and overlay on my map so that i have another reference to follow. plus it gives me idea on mileage and vert.
Hate to say it but if you want to overlay a planned track onto your screen, this is one area that dedicated devices do better. Frankly, dedicated devices do better in a lot of ways. Maybe not every single one, but for the ones that matter most in the backcountry, they are. Especially if you've got solid navigation skills already and you just want a little supplement.

Me, I use a dedicated device for tracking.

As for navigating, I use what's available with a preference for paper maps (but not just any shitty paper map printed by a park). Reason being because not every data source works best for navigating in every place. So even if I have a preferred way for one place, that's going to be different if I go somewhere else. So I stopped fighting it and I just use what's available. I've gone so far as making a map for a place on a few occasions. I've even made a little money selling one of the maps that I made.

·
Registered
705 Posts
i use viewranger as well. pretty much the best you can find right now for trip planing. plus you get to download map backgrounds for offline use for free. i also switched from dedicated device not long ago and definitely more happy using smartphone.

i dont care for strava much, i have my tracks pile up for a week or so, and then bulk upload to strava if i need to. i also supplement it with mtbr project if i am going to a new trail system.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Have you tried using https://caltopo.com you can build your own custom map that is georeferenced PDF. You can import a GPX file (overlay). Save in Dropbox.

On your phone download the app https://www.avenza.com/avenza-maps/. You can load up to 3 maps with the free app. Import the georeferenced PDF you made from Caltopo. You can track and navigate with this app and you can do it off-line. Just turn your location services on and then put the phone in airplane mode. The phone's GPS will find your location on the map.

You should be able to import the track from Avenza that you log to your fitness program such a Strava.

It seems like a lot of steps but once you build your base map and import the layers (GPX) it should be easy.

I have a post on my blog that shows a screen shot of the map that I made with Caltopo and its in the Avenza app. The blue line is my track and the other line is the GPX file that I got online. This was a hiking trip but works the same way on the bike. https://www.navigatetoyouradventure.com/2019/06/fridley-gap-loop-gwnf.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think Bikemap covers pretty much all of the features you mentioned (besides the automatic strava upload). The offline functions and map backgrounds are a Premium feature though. But planning is really nice, both on phone and on the website and you can just sync your planned routes to get them on your phone too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.