Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any former Tracer owners out there make the switch to a Spider? Please share your experiences. I have been happy with my Tracer, but I was wondering if the VPP was truly an improvement over the 4-bar HL? One of my concerns is tire/mud clearance on the rear triangle. While I never go larger than a 2.I tire, I ride/race here on the East Coast and mud can be an issue. I have also read that the VPP design has a tendency to build up mud on the link making it difficult to shift the front der.

Thanks for your input.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
5.5 is a closer to the Tracer

BlueSprocket said:
Any former Tracer owners out there make the switch to a Spider? Please share your experiences. I have been happy with my Tracer, but I was wondering if the VPP was truly an improvement over the 4-bar HL? One of my concerns is tire/mud clearance on the rear triangle. While I never go larger than a 2.I tire, I ride/race here on the East Coast and mud can be an issue. I have also read that the VPP design has a tendency to build up mud on the link making it difficult to shift the front der.

Thanks for your input.
The Spider is a full race design, very light, low BB, quick steering, very quick accelerating, but some subtle seated pedal cadence feedback or stall in very rough terrain.

The Tracer is built heavier, can fit much bigger tires (to 2.5 inch) and is adjustable to have a slacker frame angle with a higher BB for more forgiving technical trail riding and downhill handling. The Tracer can be adjusted for firm pedaling and quick handling too, and be very competitive racing at the Sport class level, the Spider is more efficent accelerating and can win at the pro XC level.

The 5.5 has handling quick but not as quick as the Spider, more common to how most riders set up the Tracer, it has more BB and tire clearance and doen't have noticable seated pedal feedback in rough terrain. It is much more plush in rough terrain, weighs the same as the Tracer frame, and could be very competitive racing in the Sport class level.

If you want to train and win at the pro level the Spider is the bike that can beat all others, the 5.5 is more all around trail bike and sport racer like the Tracer but much better.

- ray

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
VPP or 4-Bar HL?

Thanks for your reply Ray. I'm still on the fence about which frame I would go with. At 34, my goal is not to be a pro, but I would like to continue to be competitive. I mostly do endurance events and need something fairly light, but comfort and durability are higher on my list. The Tracer has been a great bike for 24 hr events and has good tire/mud clearance. I do like the higher BB, too.

What I really want to know is how people like the VPP vs. the 4-bar Horst Link design. I plan to upgrade soon, (My Tracer has alot of mileage on it and has been repaired several times) but I don't have any Intense dealers in my area and the closest ones I could go to don't have any large frames I could demo. I don't want to drop alot of $$$ on a frame that I'm not sure will serve my purpose. Despite the Intense upgrade program discount, it is still alot of coin and there are other company's that still use 4-bar and have a loyal following. I know their has been alot of hype about the VPP, but if I only gain a little bit of pedal efficiency and lose tire/mud clearance, I might be better off putting my money into a design I know has served me well. I am a very loyal Intense fan. Thus, this is my dilema. :confused:

·
Fun-O-Meter
204 Posts
BlueSprocket said:
Thanks for your reply Ray. I'm still on the fence about which frame I would go with. At 34, my goal is not to be a pro, but I would like to continue to be competitive. I mostly do endurance events and need something fairly light, but comfort and durability are higher on my list. The Tracer has been a great bike for 24 hr events and has good tire/mud clearance. I do like the higher BB, too.

What I really want to know is how people like the VPP vs. the 4-bar Horst Link design. I plan to upgrade soon, (My Tracer has alot of mileage on it and has been repaired several times) but I don't have any Intense dealers in my area and the closest ones I could go to don't have any large frames I could demo. I don't want to drop alot of $$$ on a frame that I'm not sure will serve my purpose. Despite the Intense upgrade program discount, it is still alot of coin and there are other company's that still use 4-bar and have a loyal following. I know their has been alot of hype about the VPP, but if I only gain a little bit of pedal efficiency and lose tire/mud clearance, I might be better off putting my money into a design I know has served me well. I am a very loyal Intense fan. Thus, this is my dilema. :confused:
I had similar concerns about switching from a Horst Link bike. I have owned 5 HL bikes, and ridden most suspension designs, so I was worried about losing that fully-active feel. I borrowed a friends' VPFree, and really enjoyed the ride. I now have an Uzzi VPX, and I couldn't be more pleased.

I don't notice any brake jack. There is a tiny bit of pedal feedback, and even that is only noticable when I am riding platform pedals. If I am clipped in, I don't notice it. The amazing thing is this bike, with 7.75" of rear wheel travel, pedals better than any other FS bike I've owned, even bikes with 4" of travel.

I don't know if you will see as much benefit on a short travel bike or not, but this is undoubtedly the best design for a longer travel bike.

I also love the full-length seat tube. My biggest complaint about my Uzzi SLX was the short seat tube, that required one post to get the seat to XC height, and a cut one for more aggressive riding. Now I don't have that problem.

Good luck with your decision.

·
I already rode that
1,632 Posts
BlueSprocket said:

Thanks for your input.
I rode my friends Spyder and found that it pedaled more like a hardtail. But I also couldnt really give it a more througho test cause he uses time pedals and I use shimoos. But made me wish I used the crash replacement and got the 5.5 when I cracked my Tracer and sent it back... but money issues stopped that from happening anyways. Oh well. I still love riding my Tracer. :cool:

·
Registered
582 Posts
Tracer vs. Spider

Both bikes are fantastic for what you are looking for. I loved the versatility of my Tracer. I had the uzzi link which I switched on and off depending on the race conditions. Plus the stock linkage had several setups to use. But the spider is a whole diferent animal. I think the spider is the perfect endurance race machine. Light and nimble with good suspension traits. The Tracer suspension feels more lively but the spider pedals like a dream. I also race a hardtail for xc races on smooth courses. All in all I would take the spider over the tracer as a light duty race bike and endurance machine. Just a hint, try to get one with the fox rp3 or second get the swinger 3 way. The 5th element just sux!
Hope this helps!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts