Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 02 or 03 Tracer...forgot.....

but anyways on the linkage plate there is 3 holes.
Not sure what they do and why?

Could someone explain what each does and why I would want it in that position.

What is best for climbing...best for downhilling?

O ya I also the Fox air shock with the AVA sleeve.
For downhilling, what is the best position to have it in?

Thanks a ton!

·
I already rode that
1,632 Posts
I forget what angles the holes do for your frame but I do know the 2 holes in the middle are the 4" position and the other hole towards the rear of the bike is the 3" travel position.
I usually leave my frame in the bottom hole ( slacker head angle?) and ride like that.
Oh also I leave the swing arm in the farthest hole. for the longer wheelbase.
For making it into a climbing beast I would put it in the upper hole in the linkage and the swingarm in the closer hole. That should help it climb better.

I just changed the kingage position to the upper one and left it in the long wheel base. But I dont really notice that much of a difference now other then steering is alil faster.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Bottom most hole is stock position-4" travel This is the slacker head angle. To steepen head angle, move the shock mount at the link to the forward hole.(adjacent to the stock position)

To decrease travel to 3" move shock mount at the link to the hole above stock position.

Wheelbase adjusted by the fsr link. Frame is stock in longer wheelbase. To shorten it move it to the forward hole. This will create a more aggressive climbing bike but may detract from downhill stability. Forward hole may also create some derailleur to swingarm contact.

Hope this helps.

·
Trail Rider
914 Posts
KamikazeBikr said:
I've got a 02 or 03 Tracer...forgot.....

but anyways on the linkage plate there is 3 holes.
Not sure what they do and why?

Could someone explain what each does and why I would want it in that position.

What is best for climbing...best for downhilling?

O ya I also the Fox air shock with the AVA sleeve.
For downhilling, what is the best position to have it in?

Thanks a ton!
Look at the linkage on the chain side of the bike. The two holes in the slot are the 4 in. travel mode. The one towards the shock(front) is the steep head angle. The one towards the rear is the slack HA. The other hole(above), that is not in the slot, is the 3 in. travel. If you have a 100 mm fork and put it in the steep HA hole and the short wheelbase setting, the HA is 71 degrees. If you go for the slack HA and long wheelbase, the HA measures about 69 degrees.

I played around with all the the different settings(not the 3 in. mode), and wasn't satisfied until I got an adjustable fork. Now I have it in the slack long wheelbase(4 in.) setting. I use the ETA setting in my 105 mm fork and it drops the front end down for easy climbing. When the fork is in the 30 mm setting, climbing is easy. When you release the ETA, the bike works great in the DH sections

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
skywaybuzz said:
The two front are 4"travel- top/steep Head Angle---bottom slacker HA. The one rear hole is 3'' travel. I run 4'' slacker HA. with Fox Float AVA sleeve.;)
Heyy...you have the AVA sleeve. What positions are best for what kind of riding?

I havnt really messed with mine so I leave it in the middle. That'd be cool if you tell what happens when your turn the sleeve!

Thanks

·
Registered
616 Posts
Tracer

I run mine all way open minus 11/2 turns=plush, softer, sorta mimicks a spring coil shock. The more you close it in the smaller the air chamber gets, thus the air in the chamber ramps up quicker= better for climbing, less bob, and less movement from pedaling the bike. You basicly have to take the shock off the bike and let all the air out to get the collar to move. Some day I'll close it all the way and see how it rides. I weight 160lbs and thats approximately the air pressure I'll use. Gotta Fox Van. R 125 fork on front.http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26053&stc=1

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.