Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking at picking up a 2002 tracer frame and am a bit concerned about the sizing. It is a large frame and i'm just under 6ft tall (5'11' and a bit). I currently ride a 2001 specialized enduro in a medium size and it fits well(410mm seatpost, 120mm stem). i think i wouldn't mind a bit longer top tube and a bit longer wheelbase, but is the large too large? input on your height and frame size would help a lot. thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am also just over 5'11'' and comfortably ride a Large 2002 Tracer. (For what its worth, I weigh about 165 lbs.) Contrary to popular opinion, I believe the Medium would be too tight. In fact, I ride a 110mm stem (to the dismay of my riding buddies) which puts me in a very comfortable position. I think you'll be happy with the Large.

As a side note, I keep the rear in the shorter wheel base...

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a 2002 Tracer in medium. Im 6'0 180lb. Back when I bought it I really could have went with either medium or large, but a friend had one that was medium and was kind enough to let me ride it. The medium didn't cramp me at all and I still ride/race it today. i think pretty much you have the same choice, it's just a matter of personal preference which route you take. not sure your plans on 'picking it up' mean but if your paying for a new frame someplace you may wanna check this out.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=37187
http://www.bobs-bicycles.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=detail&id=3536&product=38

Basically a tracer built by Intense with Haro stickers on it. $699 can't be beat since i paid maybe $1500 for the same frame back in the day. :)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks...

i saw that posted before and am sure it's a great frame. does the 18" correspond to a medium? i am looking at a used 2002 large tracer.

·
Registered
86 Posts
yeah my tracer in medium is 18". The large frame is 20". One thing you definitely want to check into on that used one is that the rear shock is in tact and doesn't leak air. If it's not then you may have more money investing into the thing. Fox can service them for around $50-80 bucks but that's providing there's no other issues than just worn seals. I just had to buy a new shock for my Tracer and it's around $250 for a Fox Float R Pro Pedal.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Does anyone know how to actually buy one of those frames. There isn't a "Buy now" button to click on. I am assuming that they have sold out but i haven't got a reply from their customer services to confirm that.

·
Registered
11,671 Posts
What you gain in TT you can take off stem lenght

tcp said:
I'm looking at picking up a 2002 tracer frame and am a bit concerned about the sizing. It is a large frame and i'm just under 6ft tall (5'11' and a bit). I currently ride a 2001 specialized enduro in a medium size and it fits well(410mm seatpost, 120mm stem). i think i wouldn't mind a bit longer top tube and a bit longer wheelbase, but is the large too large? input on your height and frame size would help a lot. thanks.
And maybe use a post with no offset ifyou were using one on the enduro.
and use a low rise bar. Case in point i'm 5,8 riding a medium tracer with a 90 by 0 stem and .75" rise easton CF XC bar. In my instance i reached a nice fit..

·
Registered
105 Posts
the large is pretty large...

this is the trouble buying "frame only"...it's impossible to really know until you've got a fork and wheels on it. I had the option to buy a medium or a large (5'11", 180)...the large was a nicer paint color, but man am I glad I opted for the medium. The large is big, man. I guess it depends on your ride style...if your more straight line xc then I'm sure it'll be fine with a no-lay back seatpost and short stem...but if you like hucking or agressive riding, don't buy a frame that's going to be too big, even if it's as beautiful as an Intense Tracer.

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
The large Tracer is big. I am 5'10" and ride a medium. I probably could fit and ride the large but felt more comfortable on the medium frame. I have always liked to set a smaller frame up bigger with seat post and stem heights.

Greg

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'm 5' 7"

tcp said:
and ride a medium with a 90mm stem. Very comfortable setup for me

·
Registered
266 Posts
6'0 I ride a large. I have it more set up for aggressive XC and Iike having the extra room in the cockpit. My buddy has a med but it feels too cramped for me. According to the Intense website I could have gone with either a med or large and fit comfortably. It all comes down to personal prference. If your on an med Enduro now and you really like the way it feels, I would stick with the med (it's a close cousin of the Tracer).

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the info

Thanks everyone. i think i'm going to pass on the large and keep my eyes open for a medium. It comes down to having a short upper body for me. i can always us a long seatpost with setback and long stem on a medium. keeps the bike agile in the tighter stuff.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts