Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've kept mine in the shorter wheel base, slack 4 inch setting with a front fork travel set to 4inches. Ride mostly tight rocky technical cross country singletrack- and I think I'm running the best setup for those conditions- but who knows? Curious what other settings might be like on the trail- especially the longer wheel base which to me would probably mean a more stable bike at higher speeds at the expense of a snappier bike on switchbacks and log pile type obstacles with the shorter wheel base. Also has anyone bumped their rear travel to the 4 inch steeper setting? I did this in the driveway once and found the HA to be noticeably steeper- I'd probably run the fork at 5 inches to slacken it up a bit.

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
My Tracer was set up as stock. Long wheelbase slack setting in 4 inches of travel. Even though I tried the other settings the stock feel was best for my conditions. Fast, to super technical terrain, where balance and solid feel is needed. The climbs are on the short side but can be steep and rocky.

I ran a Manitou Minute fork set to 130mm. I would however lower the fork to 100mm for the most steep sustained climbs. The 130 mm fork really made the bike feel incredible in my opinion. I did however need to tweak my position on the bike to allow for more or a forward bias on climbs.

Greg.

·
Trail Rider
914 Posts
I tried all the settings for periods of time except the short travel hole. 4 in. of travel is minimum for me. I have to tell you that I'm right at the edge of a small or medium. I chose a small ball burnished frame. Flickability, easier climbing, and stiffer(shorter tubes).It comes in the slack long WB setting. I put on a Manitou XVERT air(105 mm) with XT and V brakes. I rode that for three or 4 rides and went to the steep HA setting. That made the best climbing FS bike I had ridden. It also bumped up the BB height. You have to adjust the front der in the slack setting to get it right. With your body weight on th frame, the chain doesn't hit the der.

The shorter WB setting in the steep HA mode was next. This worked great for climbing, but suffered a little on the DH. It worked great on fast singletrack.I didn't keep it in this setting long. One thing, is when the frame is in the short WB setting, the rear der.(XT) hits more.

Next I tried the stays in the long WB holes with the steep HA. I liked this for my riding style. I kept it in this position for a long time. At this point I upgraded to discs and got a fork with ETA. This climbs excellent. The ETA made climbing easier and I felt I didn't need to have it in the steep setting with the ETA. I now have it in the long WB, slack HA and have had it in this position for a long time. DH runs are easier especially when I got disc brakes(faster).The BB height is at 13.75 in this position, and I get over almost anything. In the other settings, the BB height went up. I could live with it, but it was a little too high.

I ride SOCAL with a little bit of everthing.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
My previous Tracer was setup with the short wheelbase slack 4" setting I found this to be the best setting for me, so I run my Wife's at that setting now. (I find it's easier if I set it up for her as she's only just getting into MTBing!)

My old bike had a Fox Float 100mm fork, which was ideal, I have been running an AMSL on Emma's bike, but it rakes the front out far too much and makes climbing very difficult on anything past semi steep, probably a lot more to do with Marzocchi's habbit of having massive A-C measurements and not so much to do with the travel seeing as its always in 110mm mode.

Anyway I have just sold that fork, and I'm waiting for a Rock Shox Reba Team which promises to be ideal for this bike.

I did play with the idea of using an Uzzi SL Linkage on this Tracer but my wife doesn't need that much travel and if I need more, I'll take either my Preston or Uzzi VPX out instead.

The Tracer is one of my all time favourite rigs, I don't think we'll ever sell this one, in fact I'm going to keep all my Intense bikes from now on. I'd love to compare it with a Spider and 5.5 though, as I now know how well the VVP technology copes with everything I am a convert!

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
I use the short wheelbase slack "4 inch" setting for all the climbing I must do near home in Marin. But when riding in the desert with less climbing, I use the longer wheelbase. I prefer the longer wheelbase for handling, but it's not as efficient climbing as the shorter wheelbase.

I tried the steeper 4 inch short link too. It was even more efficient climbing, but the head angle got too steep and BB too high for good downhill.

I bough a used Uzzi link a few years ago but never rode with it due to it jacking the geometry much like the steep 4 inch short link setting does. I'll try it again when I get a 5 inch travel fork.

Sure is a versatile bike. The 6.6 looks like it may replace my Tracer someday.

- ray

·
Registered
938 Posts
Quattro said:
The shorter WB setting in the steep HA mode was next. This worked great for climbing, but suffered a little on the DH. It worked great on fast singletrack.I didn't keep it in this setting long. One thing, is when the frame is in the short WB setting, the rear der.(XT) hits more.
Wow! That's the only setup I've never tried. Sounds pretty scary. I've ridden a lot in the steep/long WB. It climbs great, and the high bb is nice thru rock-gardens, but it's a little tippy. The last time I had it set that way, I endo'd hard and swore I wouldn't go back to the steep setting. I have a talas fork, and set it at 5" when I'm in the steep setting, but the bb is too high for me on downhills.

·
Trail Rider
914 Posts
Fat Elvis said:
Wow! That's the only setup I've never tried. Sounds pretty scary. I've ridden a lot in the steep/long WB. It climbs great, and the high bb is nice thru rock-gardens, but it's a little tippy. The last time I had it set that way, I endo'd hard and swore I wouldn't go back to the steep setting. I have a talas fork, and set it at 5" when I'm in the steep setting, but the bb is too high for me on downhills.
I learned a lot about bikes, in general, from this versatile frame with all its adjustments.

·
formerly Giantxc
649 Posts
Currently I have mine set in the 3" travel mode with a Fox F100X. I like to lower bottom bracket of this setting, but the suspension looses some of its plushness at the same PSI.

Whe I originally got it I ran it in with the 4", short wheelbase, slack headangle settings. I found this arrangement to be great in technical terrain, but a bit slow during races or in really twisty areas.

I then switched to the 4", short wheelbase and steep headangle mode. This worked well and I ran it this way for a long time but really fast, loose turns with race tires proved to be a handeful. At my first 100 miler of the year I was doing 40+ mph on a fireroad decent with this set up and couldn't hold a line when the road curved. Wound up flying off the side of the road. This may have been as much a question of the tires as the suspension setting, but I believe that the high bottom bracket of the short and steep mode contributed because I had to lean the bike more in turns.

That's what lead me to the 3" rear, which is what I'll probably stick with. Never tried the long wheelbase

·
Registered
938 Posts
MrXC said:
I then switched to the 4", short wheelbase and steep headangle mode. This worked well and I ran it this way for a long time but really fast, loose turns with race tires proved to be a handeful. At my first 100 miler of the year I was doing 40+ mph on a fireroad decent with this set up and couldn't hold a line when the road curved. Wound up flying off the side of the road. This may have been as much a question of the tires as the suspension setting, but I believe that the high bottom bracket of the short and steep mode contributed because I had to lean the bike more in turns.
Yep, I'm glad I never tried that setup. Steep head-angle, high bb and short wheel-base just sounds scary.
If I were you, I'd drop the pressure in your rear shock ~25% when in the 3" mode to make up for the smaller leverage ratio of the linkage.

·
Lopen is sneller....
529 Posts
long and slack. Only tried other set-ups for a short time...always going back to the long and slack... We don't have many technical climbing (to steep) so most climbing is done on roads/fire roads...

·
formerly Giantxc
649 Posts
Fat Elvis said:
Yep, I'm glad I never tried that setup. Steep head-angle, high bb and short wheel-base just sounds scary.
If I were you, I'd drop the pressure in your rear shock ~25% when in the 3" mode to make up for the smaller leverage ratio of the linkage.
Thanks for the advice Elvis. I'm also sending it to Push this winter to get custom valved for my weight and the leverage ration of the 3" mode.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.