Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A local rider has this new (ridden once maybe, he's a roadie who never touched his mtb) Trance frame, and he asked if I'd consider trading for my like-new 2003 Tracer.

Would it be riding efficiency suicide to do so? My Tracer doesn't even have a PUSH'd rear shock, yet he doesn't care. I like my Tracer because, well, it's a Tracer, but the Trance frames are what they are: great xc designs.

Any former Trance owners/Tracer owners care to give me their input?

·
Registered
929 Posts
My big question is...

What are you gaining by the trade? Essentially they are both 4 inch travel bikes, and can tackle alot of aggressive terrain. If you are into always having the latest and greatest then go for it. The Tracer is a 4 Bar HL that has been battle proven time and time again. I have ridden in a group where two of the riders ride Trances and they seem to be great bikes. I just don't know what you think you'll gain from the trade. I think you need to do 1 thing definetly- ride the Trance if it suits you better than the Tracer then it's all good. It's too bad you don't have either a Propedal or PUSH'ed rear shock on the Tracer. I thought, as you are thinking now, even with the stock Float, the Tracer climbs great- which it does. Get that shock PUSH'ed and you'll be completely shocked by the upgrade in performance. If it were me I wouldn't trade unless the Trance would meet a specific need (like more travel). The other thing I would ask myself is is this bike going to get me to the next level I am looking for or will I still be riding the same trails with the same skill level?

One other thing I would be interested in learning- is this a complete bike swap or strictly a frame swap? Also, why is the other rider so willing to trade?

·
Registered
6,821 Posts
Keep the Tracer, it's quality, finish and ride wins over any similar mass produced frame anytime anywhere.

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
Transition J said:
Which in turn is a VPP wanna-be... ;)

couldn't be further from the truth.

The DW-link couldn't be further in function from VPP. Don't let visual similarities fool you into thinking they are the same. The DW is closer in feel to a well executed Horst link bike than anything else.

Not knocking VPP.
Greg

·
Registered
6,821 Posts
yogreg said:
couldn't be further from the truth.

The DW-link couldn't be further in function from VPP. Don't let visual similarities fool you into thinking they are the same. The DW is closer in feel to a well executed Horst link bike than anything else.

Not knocking VPP.
Greg
As someone that has never ridden a DW, I stand corrected, it was just said in jest anyway... :)

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
Transition J said:
As someone that has never ridden a DW, I stand corrected, it was just said in jest anyway... :)

cool beans.
How did the Reba fork work out on your wifes rig?

·
Registered
147 Posts
westin said:
A local rider has this new (ridden once maybe, he's a roadie who never touched his mtb) Trance frame, and he asked if I'd consider trading for my like-new 2003 Tracer.

Would it be riding efficiency suicide to do so? My Tracer doesn't even have a PUSH'd rear shock, yet he doesn't care. I like my Tracer because, well, it's a Tracer, but the Trance frames are what they are: great xc designs.

Any former Trance owners/Tracer owners care to give me their input?

The Tracer is an Intense.

The Trance is a Giant.

Keep it.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Couldn't of said it any better Kaiser. A beautiful hand-crafted USA made frame vs. a mass produced tiawanese frame...no contest in my opinion

1 - 12 of 12 Posts