Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
I, for one, will be interested in you results

yogreg said:
Trying out a pro-pedal AVA and looking for riders set-ups.

Thanks
greg
I have a Float AVA on now, wondered about the Propedal. Let us know how it worked, and what you think.

Anyone have a Push Float on their Tracer? It would be interesting to compare those as well.

Later

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After a few long rides, my initail impressions are not so great. I really don't like the feel of the pro-pedal platform. It just feels too harsh for my tastes, in slow speed stuff or in high speed out of the saddle downhil sections.

I have used the non pro-pedal AVA in the past and loved it. I also use a Push float for my regular shock. I find both are a better match for me on my Tracer. I really would like to try the Fox RP3.

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
yogreg said:
After a few long rides, my initail impressions are not so great. I really don't like the feel of the pro-pedal platform. It just feels too harsh for my tastes, in slow speed stuff or in high speed out of the saddle downhil sections.

I have used the non pro-pedal AVA in the past and loved it. I also use a Push float for my regular shock. I find both are a better match for me on my Tracer. I really would like to try the Fox RP3.
I'm too am using a Float AVA (non-propedal) based on your recommendations early this year when I got my tracer. I have no problems with it. I have a pro-pedal on my 99 FSRXC, which works really well because I'm running 5 inches in back and front. With the propedal at five inches it pedals like it has 3 inches.

It seemed to me the pro-pedal may not be the best for the Tracer. The Push float had me curious though.

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
S-Works said:
I'm too am using a Float AVA (non-propedal) based on your recommendations early this year when I got my tracer. I have no problems with it. I have a pro-pedal on my 99 FSRXC, which works really well because I'm running 5 inches in back and front. With the propedal at five inches it pedals like it has 3 inches.

It seemed to me the pro-pedal may not be the best for the Tracer. The Push float had me curious though.
The pushed float is better than the AVA float that you are currently using. The major difference to me with the push is that the travel gets better as the shock compresses deeper. The four inches feels bottomless. The pedaling performance with the push is better as well. The Tracer is an efficient design that really doesn't need a heavy platform to pedal well. The main performance benefit with the pushed float is that it works well in all situations high speed, slow speed, whatever. With the regular Float there are some tradeoffs.

·
Lopen is sneller....
529 Posts
yogreg said:

Hmmmm my wife says about the same......harsh on slow speed and out of the sadle as well as on drops (when she does not wheely drop).

I was thinking about having the AVA pushed when the snow starts falling. I think the custom valving on her weight, bike and style should really help. Anyone some goods about pushing the AVA ppd?

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jrm said:
Psi ='s my weight @ 180, AVA sleeve all the way out, Rebound out half way..
I was hoping that you would respond....

Do you find the pro-pedal to be harsh when you are descending out of the saddle?
I was running mine @ about 180 psi for my 190lbs. Volume in the middle. I went as low as 160 and couldn't solve this harshness.

Greg

·
Registered
11,763 Posts
i found that

yogreg said:
I was hoping that you would respond....

Do you find the pro-pedal to be harsh when you are descending out of the saddle?
I was running mine @ about 180 psi for my 190lbs. Volume in the middle. I went as low as 160 and couldn't solve this harshness.

Greg
yes when i have the bike set @ my weight less ten psi in the rear and the talas set @ my weight less 100 psi. the rides harsh. But i also think it has to have something to do with the frames design. as a XC bike. Add large tires and 125mm fork and the bikes kinda sketchy.

Try it @ your weight less 10 psi with the volume all the way out in the back. For me this was the only way i was getting close to full travel.

·
Registered
286 Posts
propedal ava

I also tried a propedal ava and found the exact same thing. It felt somewhat harsh on smaller stuff. It also felt very skittish on the downhills,especially while braking in the rough. I too am riding a four bar.These are usually not traits of this design. Tried several settings pressure,volume etc. Never could quite get the right feel. Climbing was only marginally better at best. Not good enough to put up with the harshness. Went back to standard ava

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Uzzi said:
Is there a way to remove the ppd in the AVA?
Push Industries can fix it for you. Their platform upgrade is custom setup just for you and your bike where the Fox is a middle of the road setting for all bikes and riders. This is especially useful for riders outside the "normal" 160-180 lbs range. They also use a more sophisticated piston and valving for much more controlled response. On top of all that, the super slick urethane seals they use are much smoother with less stiction. I'm even in the normal range at about 165 and I still noticed a huge difference over the stock Fox setup on my AVA.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.