Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

tracer 29 with hammerschmit

7K views 55 replies 38 participants last post by  david8613 
#1 ·
T 29 in works finish set up a bit more AM with 2.35 Rampage , 142 QR 12, -1 degree Cane Creek Angle adjust head set (68 HA) note G2 drop out is in 18" setting & travel set at 5.5.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Sick looking bike, agree with nordstern, looks sicker than the green beast.....

See all these amazing pictures, what is the word from those whom are riding one and thrashing it?

#7 ·
OK, now THIS is how I would imagine a bike of that travel would be built up :thumbsup: Looks very sweet, even like the finish, which seems to be a somewhat modified raw or some such - kinda camo raw. Still would like to see pics of the XL built up.

#12 ·
Uh, yeah!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Looking at the pics, perhaps it's just the angles. Just wondering if the lower chain portion proximity to the front of the CS is a problem? There is a CS guard there but the very front is exposed and looks like chain slap might get it.

#14 ·
Good point JNC. Another question regarding the cable routing.....since there's no bottle bosses in the front tri, hence no one reaching in to grab stuff, why not make the cable runs even more direct/straighter.
jncarpenter said:
Very tempting with the slacker angles for sure!

I think I would run the HS cable zip tied to the rear der. cable. Should be a little cleaner & less bends.

#15 ·
looks good BUT.....

If you want to call this a true ALL mtn. bike, you better have some form of protection for that lower link. Any "Super Chunky" type of rocky ledges are going to smoke that link both on the climbs and descents.. Niner's RiP/WFO and SC Tallboy suffer from the same problem:nono: With the HS.. it'll be more apparent.

#18 ·
AZmtncycler said:
If you want to call this a true ALL mtn. bike, you better have some form of protection for that lower link. Any "Super Chunky" type of rocky ledges are going to smoke that link both on the climbs and descents.. Niner's RiP/WFO and SC Tallboy suffer from the same problem:nono: With the HS.. it'll be more apparent.
so the original Tracer isn't a true AM bike either... or the SC Nomad... or a large number of other similar mini-link bikes. I get your point and I like peace of mind too, but apparently it isn't the absolutely inevitable problem you claim, or maybe even much of a problem at all. It's hard to visualize and predict exactly what would happen, but it looks like under full compression the link would be completely out of the way and even the much smaller HS bash would be large enough to take the impact instead of the link or frame

#19 ·
full compression...?

boomn said:
so the original Tracer isn't a true AM bike either... or the SC Nomad... or a large number of other similar mini-link bikes. I get your point and I like peace of mind too, but apparently it isn't the absolutely inevitable problem you claim, or maybe even much of a problem at all. It's hard to visualize and predict exactly what would happen, but it looks like under full compression the link would be completely out of the way and even the much smaller HS bash would be large enough to take the impact instead of the link or frame
Come ride some of our AZ chunk, and we'll show you what happens to links that hang low.... this is on my '09 RIP after a year of use. As you can see, the link doesn't hang below the chainring bashguard but, impacts do happen on big ledge climbs and descents..

Attachments

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.