Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suppose it's too early to tell since the 250 just hit the stands. I also know there is no "replacing" the Bottlerocket.

I guess what I'm getting at is; I'm entertaining the idea of going all-in with my 3 bikes for one TR250.
My three bikes are a Bottlerocket, '08 Giant Reign0, TransAM.

I don't use the TransAM as much as I should, the Reign I'm having a hard time filling the gap that I thought was emtpy between the Bottlerocket and more aggressive DH style trails, and the Bottlerocket... well I love that thing. It's like my baby. The only way I'd get rid of it is if something like the 250 could cross into that BR territory while giving me freedom on the tech DH trails.

Anyway, I'm just throwing this up there to keep you all thinking while you're dialing in your new whip.

I look forward to hearing some real-world feedback.

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Flip,

I honestly think it would be WAY more fun for our gnarlier stuff and WAY less fun on stuff like Galby. The BR can do it all fairly well.

Throw a similar build (your 66 and other bits) on a 250 and you've got a totally different setup than the BR due to the slack HA and the additional travel in the back.

Anyway, I think you could give up 2 of those bikes, but I'd keep a Galby specific bike. Maybe throw a shorter shock on the Reign (7,5" x 2") to drop the BB a bit. That seems like the biggest disadvantage to that bike, IMO.

EB

·
Registered
451 Posts
The 250 is going to always be tempting, it's a sick bike. I want one, I know it would be a blast shredding NW gravity trails on that bike. To me the Bottlerocket is somewhat of a swiss army knife for trail shredding, and the 250 looks like it will be much more specific in design and intent. I see the BR crossing into 250 range much easier than the other way around. I think the 250 is just too sexy for it's own good and it's tempting us to consider selling off everything we have in order to get one but realistically the 250 is gravity specific bike and it's not a Bottle Rocket replacement at all. Is there truly any bike that is a BR replacement? It sounds like you really appreciate the BR and what it can do; I think you'd regret getting rid of it.

I like the idea of BR + 250 + Hardtail.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Pinoymr05 said:
I agree w/ ride_nw...also, tr250 w/ hammerschmidt and adjustable seatpost maybe a good all purpose bike if you really want a tr250... if I have money I would do that in a heart beat....
It would get you to the top of the hill.. grinding up a fireroad... just be aware that the head angle is 65° in the steep setting, and the seat tube angle is much slacker than most other bikes designed to go uphill. So your weight will be set really far back, sagging the suspension, slacking out the HA even more, making seated climbing even less fun. Maybe with a 180 talas up front it might help?

Is it worth the effort and complexity (and added weight of hammerschmidt + adj seatpost) compared to just walking once you get out of middle ring range? I don't like to pedal dh bikes on flat ground much less going uphill. Just something to think about before dropping a ton of cash. For the price of a hammerschmidt, adjustable seapost, and talas 180 you could have a pretty sweet hardtail built up meanwhile leaving the 250 even more dialed and dedicated for it's intended use.

·
Registered
258 Posts
based on what the guy above said I agree 100%...Don't get a TR250 as a do it all, it really is a DH bike with a little less travel...

I rode the bottlerocket for a few seasons doing EVERYTHING, xc/am/dh and it is doable with a nice adjustable fork, the BR or maybe even the covert is your ticket...

·
i like rocks
1,606 Posts
my BR is 80% resorts, but 20% of the time i pedal it either for shuttling or AM purposes. thus, the TR250 couldn't replace it. If i wanted a 'play bike' exclusively for resort use, i absolutely would not hesitate to pick up a TR250. For something more versatile you can't replace the Bottlerocket.

On the other hand, if you replaced a BR with a Covert AND a TR250 you'd have the bases covered.

I'm pretty sure the TR250 would suck nuts with a Hammerschmidt. the pivot location would cause a ton of pedal jack with such a small chainring. its a mini-sled, i would not try to make it into an AM bike.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Im also struggling with the "sell everything i have and buy a tr250" syndrome :D

I have a marin attack trail which i use for AM stuff. (pedal to the top of DH type trails and call it a xc loop:) )

I kind of agree with the previous comment about the pivot location and hammerschmidt. Im wondering how much feedback though?

I have a 160 2step lyrik rc2l which i was going to use in it. Maybe with the 115 mm of travel selected it would steepen the SA enough.????

struggling with this lol

·
Registered
564 Posts
In terms of smooth freeride trails with lots of jumps and berms, I don't feel like I've lost anything by trading my BR for a 250. All I've done is gained a lot when it comes to rougher DH. But, if you regularly ride the BR up hills or as a trail bike in general, then you're going to suffer. With a 250 and Covert, I'm a very happy man.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.