Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
mtb'er
4,291 Posts
Yesterday was another reminder of how great living in California (especially the foothills) is. With the first good snowfall of the season, I spent most of the day at Sugar Bowl, riding knee+ deep powder, then made it home in time to do our weekly Tuesday night MTB ride. If I had gotten up earlier, maybe I could have fit 9 holes of golf in before hitting the snow :D

Helmet, goggles, jacket.... check:

So good to see the snow again:

Can't get to the top fast enough to hit this line:

My chairlift conversation piece:

Deep tracks:

I was not alone:

Action shot:

Chest deep!

Pretty:

We still need another 5 feet of snow to bury all the rocks and flora:

Action video.... oops... hit a rock and wiped out!

Mmmmm.... ice...cold.....lunch:

Driving home... it was a sign from God:

A great view from Salmon Falls Rd.:

Time to suit up for the bike ride.

Helmet, light, glasses, jacket... check:

A hearty group rolls out of Old Folsom towards Granite Bay with temps in the high 30's:

We had a great time... even the guy in shorts!

Thank you Snow Gods for delivering! Life is good :thumbsup:

·
mtb'er
4,291 Posts
Baycat - how'd you get top post on my thread???

P13 - yeah, plenty of rocks. I got a couple more good dingers in my rock board... well worth it to make some turns again though :) Hopefully the next system helps fill in things more.

Grrrah - Multi-sport days/weekends are niiiice. Years ago, in one 3 day weekend I played 9 holes of golf, attended a Giants baseball game, snowboarded Squaw, mountain biked in Downieville, rafted the North Yuba, camped, raced go-karts, hit the batting cages, played beach volleyball, boogie boarded, rollerbladed, played beach football, played darts & billiards, won a Mario-Kart tournament, and drank myself silly... we called it "The Gratuitous Search for Fun Weekend."

·
Registered
495 Posts
outstanding!

That is outstanding - nice work indeed. Really well documented too. Really outstanding.

When I lived in Utah, a buddy and I got up one spring day and went for a really nice dawn patrol ski tour. The skiing was excellent, albeit corn snow that day. We were home by 11:00 AM. Not an hour later I was running out the door to go paddling (whitewater kayaking) with another buddy who just called. We had a sweet day on the river and I got home around 6:00. Within a few minutes I was on my bike to go a lap around the foothills above Salt Lake, again with another buddy. The great thing was only the ski tour was planned, everything else just came up at that moment. It didn't even really occur to me what I had done until the day was over and I was completely exhausted. Talk about a near perfect day though. Now that I think about it, I certainly had more ambition and more friends for that matter back in the day. ;)

·
Registered
223 Posts
I did something like this about 10 years ago, mid March I think. Hit up Sugar Bowl and ripped 18"+ of fluff all AM then traded my ticket in for 1/2 day credit. Jumped in the car and drove to Marin. Got down late afternoon but still had time to hit the trails for a couple hours. Ended up at Guaymas in Tiburon for my buddy's rehearsal dinner. That was a good day:thumbsup:

·
Registered
759 Posts
Empty_Beer said:
Don't knock 'em, you might need 'em for the Kirkwood Freeskiing Championships! :D

The light, dry snow that fell IS the base. Not much of a base yet. Hiking was pointless. My Burton agrees:

:eek: That is a core shot if there ever was :eek: I've sent a board to the bone yard from "powder" days before thinking it was bottomless only to find something just under the surface. Hope the edge is not bent out :thumbsup:

·
Urban Ninja
2,381 Posts
Empty_Beer said:
The light, dry snow that fell IS the base. Not much of a base yet. Hiking was pointless. My Burton agrees:
Oooooh, ouchie! Gonna take a lot of p-tex to fix that one. I hope that was your early season board...

One more reason I only head to the slopes AFTER the holidays :D However, Looks like it was worth the damage from your video. Floatin the powder is like plowin down a trail on 12 inches of travel!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.