Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
mtb'er
4,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't done a TR in a while. This is one of those "one and done" adventure rides, so I'm going to be short on details and long on photos. I got a bug up my butt after reading about a new 7+ mile trail on BLM land and seeing some neat hiking photos. I couldn't find any evidence of mt. bikers riding this trail yet -- although mt. bikes are not banned from it -- so the idea of "being first" was compelling.

With perfect weather, emerald green hills, and wildflowers in bloom, two buddies and I headed to Lake B-essa to see if we could put together a worthy loop. Everything worked out great for us, but due to some unexpected fences on the approach, and a bit more hike-a-bike than desired on the trail, I reckon this trail is best done as an out and back on foot.... but damn I loved it!

Did I mention photos?

The destination... 2,600' up:

Gravel grinding along the very nice wildflower bloom:

Getting higher:

Topping out:

At the top... scoping out a BIG jump:

Nice views!

Down we go!

Challenging terrain, primitive trail, and stellar views:

Some rough going here and there:

Yummy:

Oh yeah! :thumbsup:

Slabby:

Out of the manzanita and sandstone... into the lush:

Obligatory adventure ride H-A-B:

Rad:

Huffin' and puffin' through the poppies:

Rest stop:

1x10's lose :devil:

Pretty much a goat trail:

Actually... some goats would be good for this trail, given how overgrown with grass it is:

This didn't suck:

Steep:

Really nice mile+ flowy ridge section:

Almost at the end:

22 miles and 3,500 footies. My kinda "mixed terrain" ride ;)

If anyone in the future stumbles on this thread, and you get the same bug in your butt that I did, PM me for details.

·
mtb'er
4,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First thing I was gonna ask you is if you would do it again :)
You know me, TBC... of course I'd do it again, but I need a few years of increasingly forgetful memory to go back ;) However... if I found myself in the vicinity, I'd give 'er a go again... especially after a friend told me the approach didn't have to be as sketch as it was, due to a couple gates south of where we entered.

You would have dug the whole thing, big time :thumbsup:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Thats badass. Exactly where I thought it was too. I was kayaking there a couple months ago and the night before I had wandered onto a writeup about this exact trail. Awesome that you rode it. Looks like my type of ride.

·
mtb'er
4,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats badass. Exactly where I thought it was too. I was kayaking there a couple months ago and the night before I had wandered onto a writeup about this exact trail. Awesome that you rode it. Looks like my type of ride.
Cool! As long as you don't mind dismounting a lot (or if you are in Danny Macaskill's league), you will likely enjoy the route. Just know that there is a lot of HAB, especially for mere mortals like myself. Some pix that didn't make the first cut:

10268708_10202972256860273_7506025863864406994_n.jpg

1375075_10202972256980276_8726117643632662129_n.jpg

I wish it was a 7 mile flowy/techie descent, but it wasn't... it was just a fun adventure :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts