Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here own or have driven or know of someone that owns one of these?

I'm not too sure if I'm in the market for a new car this year (MAYBE next year). I currently have a '01 Focus and '03 Escape that I'm fine with.

Barring me getting a Tundra or Ranger or WRX wagon, I'd like another econobox...so the Yaris jumped into the mix after I looked at them last night.

While I realize the Yaris is nothing to brag about, I'm not looking for a "compensate for a small penis" car. Just one that is reliable (I know...I know...that big Toyota recall) and has good gas mileage and very importantly....a dealership that has great service.

Thanks

Nick

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
A few months ago I thought I was going to be in a situation where I needed a new car (as in I thought my current car was going to cost 2x it's blue book value to get running).

Yaris was on my short list, Toyota dealer showed me the Scion Xa, which I thought seemed a better car for the money - at least worth a look. Weird that the same company sells 2 very similar cars.

But, if I where going to buy a car like that today it would be a Honda Fit. I really like the rear seat thing; Most cars are designed to carry 2 passengers in the back, but you can fold the seats down to carry stuff, the Fit seems like it's more designed to carry stuff, but you can put the seats up if you need to put someone in there. With the seats folded up (so the seat backs act as a divider between the back area and the rest of the car) I could stick my Yeti in there with the rear wheel on (I'm 6'3", with long legs, and have the saddle way the hell up there, so this impressed me - I've never been able to put a bike upright in a hachback before without lowering the saddle). Seems like there was more usable space in the Fit than in my Outback (full wagon; bigger car). Of course, IMO it's sort of ugly...

·
Registered
262 Posts
For probably the same price, you can get the Corrola which will give you more room and better gas milage than the Yaris. I have no idea why Toyota even made the Yaris, it looks identical to the Corrola anyway.

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
Let me make sure I'm clear on this. You already have two vehicles, but you want an econobox to save money on gas? For the cost of that Yaris and insurance, you can buy a lot of fuel for the vehicles you already have.

By the way, I read an article on how well the Yaris did in a crash test (sorry, I don't remember where I read that). You're probably safer getting hit by a car while riding your bike. Oh, and the Fit did very well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I drove a Yaris with a 5-speed. I thought it drove really nicely. Corollas are nice too. I could easily see myself getting either of those someday. The size difference between the two isn't very much at all. I hear it's not too hard to get 45 mpg from a Yaris, after it's been broken in.

I also drove a Scion xB (the BOX) and really liked it. I actually like how they look, and they're so fun to drive. They're HUGE inside (except the trunk) and the visibility's awesome. And they have a nice, sporty feel and corner better than you'd think by looking at them.

My old Integra's still holding together fine, but someday I'll probably be driving a Yaris/Corolla/Xa/Xb.

Eric

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well sorry for lifting a dead post but we bought a yaris 2 years ago. We have about 32 k on it and a great little car. Not a ton of features and maybe poor on crash test but I love it. We made a drive across souther Idaho last year we drove mostly 50 mph (not in a hurry) and pulled 50.??. How? I don't know but the least we have ever got it 33 mpg. we got 38 doing 75 mph for almost 500 miles on the freeway. The only issue we have had was a paint chip on the ground effex (its an s-type) and the replaced the whole thing because it was easier that preping and repainting the thing. That was warranted for some reason.
Now comes the big issue. its a 4 door sedan and i need tob beable to carry 3 bikes.

·
another day at the office
1,197 Posts

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
bustamove said:
Excellent fuel economy - we recorded 32 mpg during our week with the Yaris. Versatile folding seats makes packing things, like bikes and gear, a breeze. And it handled all types of road surfaces with aplomb.

[/URL]
Nice review, but no picture of the car with the doors closed?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm also a very satisfied Yaris owner. My wife and I have a 07 two door hatchback, and we were able to put a hitch mount with a two bike rack on it. Perfect for trips with just the two of us. 50k miles on it and not a single problem. With two bikes on the rack we still get 32 mpg easily. As far as the safety issue goes, you can't tell me it's not safer then riding on a motorcycle or your bike. Anyone who says that must have stock in Hummer. I would recommend the Yaris.

-Ross-

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.