Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Pirate!!!
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I'm tinkering with the idea of buying a slightly used one, and just wondering if it would work for hauling the lunar rover "aka" xl Hifi.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Captain Cobb said:
Does anyone have one of these? Do you like it? How do you fit your 29er on or in it? Pics?
We have 70K on it. It has been trouble free and is a great ride...................and I will not have another one. It is insanely passenger unfriendly. If that is not a problem, then go for it. You will not be disappointed in the performance.

The FJ

My other Ride is a 2003 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab....I love this truck

·
Registered
611 Posts
I just bought one Saturday

Getting 2 hardtail 29ers in standing up is tight with a lot of gear, front wheel off, handlebars in first works(with the back seat down) If you don't need the back seat or all of it,then remove the bench part and it will be fine. The bench is designed to be easily removed. Great truck. Comfortable. I haven't sat in the back,and don't plan too. They command a high price used. I ended up buying new for not much more. There are 2010 models out there . That's what I have.Feel free to pm me with questions, I did my homework. Harry

·
up n over
407 Posts
Perfect girlfriend car.
Not for kids or dudes.
HORRIBLE fuel mileage.

(The preceeding was an obvious opinion stated by a male with
more testosterone than the new wannabe fj can handle.)

·
Registered
851 Posts
Not to Hijack your question, but take a hard look at the Honda Element. After owning one for 3+ years, I feel its the prefect small 4 x 4 for two active people. Two bikes fit inside with front tires off. I made a front mount with a 1 x6 board mounting 2 cheap fork mounts on it. I can't say enough good about it and will buy another.

·
Banned
773 Posts
Have had one for two years , 120,000 miles , 23 MPG on the highway . Zero issues , change the oil and fluids per Manf. recommendations. Would gladly buy another . Plenty of leg room for my 6'3" .

·
Don't Stop Spinnin'!
659 Posts
Most racks if not all fit 29ers.

I carry two bike on the rear... any size. (spare tire rack made by saris) allows you to open the rear door while still having the bikes loaded.

and two yakima racks on the roof which also allow any size bikes. I've carried 4 bikes on trips with 4 buddies, fully loaded pretty comfortably...

love the truck.... :thumbsup:

·
I got nothin'
739 Posts
jayboyd said:
My other Ride is a 2003 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab....I love this truck
I have one too! Possibly one of the most versatile vehicles on the road. You have a lot of fun stuff on that fronty.

·
Registered
962 Posts
rushman3 said:
Not to Hijack your question, but take a hard look at the Honda Element. After owning one for 3+ years, I feel its the prefect small 4 x 4 for two active people. Two bikes fit inside with front tires off. I made a front mount with a 1 x6 board mounting 2 cheap fork mounts on it. I can't say enough good about it and will buy another.
plus one for the Element
I get 28 mpg on the highway, lots of room inside. I have even gotten my KTM inside
with a bit of work.

·
Pirate!!!
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm just toying with the idea, I'd like a fairly capable off road, kid hauling, bike hauling, and call me crazy I like the way it looks rig. I'm now driving a full-size four door truck, that is killer for all the things mentioned above, except offroad capable, and it kills me in gas. I live in the mountains for what it's worth.

·
Delirious Tuck
2,471 Posts
It works fantastically with 29ers, I can fit three in the trunk, typically two though, with the front wheel off. Lock your bike inside while you're at work then drive to trails.

I've had FJ for nearly 4 years and use it to haul up to 4 DH bikes with the T2 + 2 hitch mount, camp, commute, and trail maintain.

Its awesome. When I have 4 bikes, that typically means 4 people, it is not a car for families or long road trips with others. It does work perfectly for my wife, dog, and me for everything and short car pools to the DH mountain or other trails. I love the thing, it gives me warm fuzzies.

Not sure how it'd work for hauling kids and the suicide doors and front seats can make things cumbersome, its like a coupe SUV.

I have the Manual and BFG ATs and a couple lil engine go fast mods, supercharger (URD) is hopefully in future (if I stop buying bikes).

BTW... element while functional will not add credibility to your 29er riding skills, the FJ definitely adds to the skills of the 29er rider

·
Pirate!!!
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I can see that it's not an overly friendly kid hauler, however the kids usually only ride with me for short distances. I guess the main reason for this post was to ask if my bike would fit inside without to much trouble. And if those who owned one liked it or not?

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Agreed

4x4runner said:
Have you considered a used 4runner? Can be had at the same price or less. More interion and sexxxyyyy (see my username for biases)
3rd or 4th gen. Provide more room for stuff, sleeping, no blind spots and a huge aftermarket and internet knowledge base.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 52 Posts