Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My usual suspects changed their work schedules. I was wondering if there are any mid-level riders who want to ride on Tuesdays and Thursdays around 9am? I usually ride Lock Raven.

·
kevboz
95 Posts
I'm a mid level rider but I can't ride during the week during work hours.
I normally ride Loch Raven also. most of my rides are about 8-15 mile loops.
I'm open during the weekend though.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the weekend I ride around 9 and start at seminary ave. I don't know how long the ride is. I ride around and then go home. It takes about 90-110 minutes I guess. I'll probably ride this Sunday. I drive a black WRX, and ride a gray K2. Maybe I'll see you there.

·
kevboz
95 Posts
I may be able to ride Sunday morning. I'll let you know. My wife is due any day now. I normally ride with one other guy. He drives a dark blue Bronco with a rack on the back that fits into the tow hitch.
Can email me on here.. maybe we could meet up.
I have a grey Cannondale Lefty
Name is Kevin

·
Registered
148 Posts
Question: My girlfriend bought me this book called Baltimore Trails by Bryan Mackay in hopes of coaxing me to follow her to Towson. The book is copyright 2002, but it says that the singletrack in Loch Raven is off limits to mountain bikers. Have things changed or do people just poach the singletrack without fear of repercussions?

How's the riding up there, anyway? Somebody told me Patapsco State Park is the place to ride. Loch Raven good too? Where else?

Thanks,
LB

·
I am the owl
1,908 Posts
likeybikey said:
Question: My girlfriend bought me this book called Baltimore Trails by Bryan Mackay in hopes of coaxing me to follow her to Towson. The book is copyright 2002, but it says that the singletrack in Loch Raven is off limits to mountain bikers. Have things changed or do people just poach the singletrack without fear of repercussions?
Technically the singletrack is not open to MTBers but everyone has been riding it for years. However, the City of Baltimore (who owns the reservoir) is in the process of hiring a bunch of new rangers and word is they will be patrolling and educating the public soon on what is and is not allowed at the reservoir.

·
I am the owl
1,908 Posts
likeybikey - Patapsco and Loch Raven are both great places to ride if you move to B-more. Shoot straight up Rt. 83 near York and you can hit the Lake Redman trails in under an hour. About the same distance to the west is Gambrill and the Frederick Watershed with more climbing and plenty of technical riding.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I heard the rumor about the loch raven area being patrolled by another rider today, just like riderx said. But I've heard this before. Word of patrolling that area have come out a couple of times in the past, but I've never seen it happen.

Is it the real deal this time riderx? What did you hear. I've been riding there for over 10 years. I don't know why that would do that. The trails are in good shape and eveyone is pretty courteous.

·
I am the owl
1,908 Posts
mlepito said:
Is it the real deal this time riderx? What did you hear. I've been riding there for over 10 years. I don't know why that would do that. The trails are in good shape and eveyone is pretty courteous.
It is real. I'm pretty involved with trail advocacy in MD and the city has communicated this info to MAMBO. MAMBO was the group of MTBers that formed to prevent bikes from being completely shut out of the reservoir about 15 years ago. Many people don't realize they still exist, but there is a board and a small amount of members who continues to go to all of the city meetings regarding Loch Raven to represent bikes out there. And trust me, we need it because there are a lot of different factions out there who only have their own interests in mind when it comes to using Loch Raven. The city has told them (MAMBO folks) they will have a staff of 13 rangers to patrol the 3 reservoirs which will start with educating the public about the rules and progress from there.

More info as I get it...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Lone ranger set to build a new force

Live and in print. A cherry picked quote from me. But all in all a good piece I think.

Share it with your friends!

And keep the trail dates in mind... 7/19 and 8/23 and another in the fall tbd.

Watch this forum for all things Loch Raven related ( sorry for the cross post if you frown on that sort of thing ). http://www.more-mtb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45

eric

--------------------
Lone ranger set to build a new force
--------------------

Effort launched to protect three city-owned reservoirs

By Kevin Rector
Sun reporter

June 30 2008

For the past eight months, Luke Brackett has been part administrator, part lone ranger.

The complete article can be viewed at:
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/baltimore_city/bal-te.md.co.ranger30jun30,0,7470283.story

Visit baltimoresun.com at http://www.baltimoresun.com

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would think that the kids that drink by the water are more harmful than bikers. Especially when they leave a case of beer cans chillin' in the midlle of the trail. Anyway...how many bikers are there vs. hikers?

·
I am the owl
1,908 Posts
J-Cee said:
I would think that the kids that drink by the water are more harmful than bikers. Especially when they leave a case of beer cans chillin' in the midlle of the trail. Anyway...how many bikers are there vs. hikers?
Unfortunately it doesn't matter what you think, but rather what the officers do. And if they are out patrolling they aren't going to ignore one violation because there's another one that might be happening somewhere else that is potentially more harmful.

There are all sorts of factions that want things to themselves: property owners who feel like the reservoir is their own backyard and only they should be able to use it, hunters who would like to cull the deer population, ATVers using the trails illegally, joggers running the trails, equestrians on top of their fertilizer generators. You get the picture. Don't try to make it hikers vs. bikers, it's not. It's law enforcement that plans to enforce existing regulations, that's what this is about. Working to get the regulations changed (MTB access to singletrack) is the best way to move forward IMO.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just read a newspaper article about it. It seems that they are more interested in the actual watershed then the trails. They are really looking at illegal dumping, using motorized boats, and ATV's and swimming in the reservoir. The article said they did this in 2000. But I rode in 2000 and never got stopped, so I don't know if they will even waste their time with MTB. It sounds like there is a lot to do.

I agree with riderx. Maybe concentrating on getting MTB legal in all areas is a better avenue, then trying to get away with riding illegally. I also don't think hikers are complaining about bikers. Everyone is pretty courteous on those trails.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I was riding in Loch Raven this morning. There is a rope swing at the edge of the water where youngins hang out, and a makeshift fire pit with a case of empty beer cans thrown all over. That is the crap that will draw complaints. If everyone respected the trails and each other, wouldn't be such an issue. Though you are right, the watershed is their main issue. That aside, had a great ride today, a little wet, but lots of fun and not too many riders out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was out at Loch Raven on Monday. I wasn't riding but rather scoping things out. I'd say that you'd be fine to ride the trails especially since I didn't see any signs or obvious markings stating that it was prohibited.

They've definitely taken more action to prevent kids from drinking on the cliffs. We walked over there just for fun and saw a bunch of 'no trespassing' signs and others prohibiting swimming. I used to jump off those cliffs several years back but no more. After I saw a group of water snakes and a friend of my drowned (no foul play, he was sucked under with the unusual water currents), I decided to call it quits.

·
I am the owl
1,908 Posts
Since this thread bubbled back up, I'll give a little update (if you want to call it that). I've been hearing some very positive things about the new head ranger in regards to mountain bikes. I'm not at liberty to go into details at this point, but if you see him out on the trail treat him as a "friendly", be nice, talk to him. Positive communication from us will go a long way. :thumbsup:

OK, you guys have gotten me jonesin' to get out to Loch Raven. It's been to long since my last visit out there.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.