Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Ride, Race, Live
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello hive mind,
I have so confusion over the “official“ TtoT route.
I‘ve done tower, gold valley, pauly, butcher, 3rd, 1st, and tower, sunrise, butcher, 3rd, 1st
But on yubas website they list this
Official Tower to Town Route:
Sierra Buttes Overlook Trail
--> Gold Valley Rim
--> Pauly Creek
--> Big Boulder
--> Third Divide
--> First Divide
--> Town of Downieville
25.5 miles, 3100ft climbing, 7000+ft. glorious descending.

You can’t ride Pauly to Big Boulder
After scouring Trailforks routes I think it should read
--> Pauly Creek OR. --> Big Boulder

·
more skier than biker
2,406 Posts
Yuba is correct.....after finishing off the Gold Valley Rim trail, you cross a dirt road, and start the baby head section of Pauly Creek trail. Then after that, you bang a right to Big Boulder. So while you do not ride ALL of Pauley Creek (i.e. to the intersection of 3rd Divide, you ride the upper section of Pauley...the baby heads...to Big Boulder.

·
Ride, Race, Live
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks.
That's what I thought.
They way it's written is very misleading.
I was scouring ride reports and satellite maps looking for trails to see if ther was a way to climb back up after descending Paulybthat was on trailforks.
I'm hoping to get one more trip in before winter and want to get a TtoT in.
Thanks again

·
Registered
598 Posts
We rode Gold Valley Rim to Big Boulder to 3rd Divide to 1st yesterday. The trails were in epic shape, tacky and firm - thanks to some recent rain/snow. Gold Valley is a meandering single track, not technical, with very nice views, gentle climbing. The bottom part of Gold Valley was fun, rocky stuff and boulders. Big Boulder was super fun. The climb to Big Boulder wasn't easy, about 800ft of climbing over loose rocks, but very worth it. I hope to go back and do Tower to Town.

Bicycle Tire Wheel Sky Land vehicle

Tower is something to do once or twice. Gold Valley Rim was disappointing when I last rode it a year ago or so, this time of year the perfect cycling trail to Lavezzola or Spencer Creek is $.

·
Ride, Race, Live
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tower is something to do once or twice. Gold Valley Rim was disappointing when I last rode it a year ago or so, this time of year the perfect cycling trail to Lavezzola or Spencer Creek is $.
I did Spencer and Lavezzola last time a couple of weekends ago.
Spencer is steep, and loose in a few places. I had to walk some of it. I want to try again next season earlier when there's still some moisture in the soil to see if I can roll down it as opposed to sliding down.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,745 Posts
Rode 2nd Divide once, many moons ago, and didn't enjoy it. Narrow and full of steep up and over sections. I thought the danger/fun ratio wasn't great. I subsequently enjoyed 3rd a lot more. As usual, YMMV.

·
Ride, Race, Live
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Woof, gnarly injury, but a crazy good recovery too.

Did she take the impact on an exposed elbow, or was that even through the g-forms?
The elbow pads were where they belonged. In her backpack!
She managed to land on the only pointy rock in that piece of trail.
3 inches in any direction and she would have been bruised but fine.
Landed perfectly on a edged rock, and I think even the g-forms would have been a help.
They might not have saved the break, but probably would have kept the skin from tearing, and bleeding out.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Ouch, poor gal. I took a direct elbow hit to a rock while wearing some Leatt d3o pads, and was surprised how little impact I felt, so I hope the g-forms would give some protection too. Maybe even help glance off. Of course hindsight is 20/20, no shame in getting hurt. Massive props to her for all the PT work!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.