Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Make some music
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Snow, Ice, packed snow, a little ground, mush snow, but ridable... snow and ice type of ridable. It felt good to get out at any rate. Couple climbs to the top for a fair bit of excercise and down the single track. More ridable for the many years experienced... you get some interesting looks from the hikers who comment on the available traction.. The packed snow was best thanks to the hikers..

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Stratocaster said:
Snow, Ice, packed snow, a little ground, mush snow, but ridable... snow and ice type of ridable. It felt good to get out at any rate. Couple climbs to the top for a fair bit of excercise and down the single track. More ridable for the many years experienced... you get some interesting looks from the hikers who comment on the available traction.. The packed snow was best thanks to the hikers..
Rode Tourne last weekend during the beautiful 50-degree Saturday morning. Stopped to check the map and a fellow mountain biker says, "It's something else wearing shorts in January, eh?" Damn straight, man. At least four dudes with three-grand dualies. The hardtail is just fine for that course though. Especailly that hill. Ugh. But what a trip down!

·
Registered
363 Posts
NJ-XC-Justin said:
Rode Tourne last weekend during the beautiful 50-degree Saturday morning. Stopped to check the map and a fellow mountain biker says, "It's something else wearing shorts in January, eh?" Damn straight, man. At least four dudes with three-grand dualies. The hardtail is just fine for that course though. Especailly that hill. Ugh. But what a trip down!
Full suspension at tourne.....Did you say shorts or skirts?

·
www.justthebonnet.com
1,475 Posts
cmaz44 said:
Full suspension at tourne.....Did you say shorts or skirts?
Listen to Cmazz talk trash like he's a bas a$$ on his SS. Bring that SS down here Cmaz, you'll be pushing it more than riding it in these thar' mountains. Beatin' up on the poor guys at the Tourne...I thought I tought you better than that :)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Capt_phun said:
Listen to Cmazz talk trash like he's a bas a$$ on his SS. Bring that SS down here Cmaz, you'll be pushing it more than riding it in these thar' mountains. Beatin' up on the poor guys at the Tourne...I thought I tought you better than that :)
What's up Capt Phun!!! How is it down in the Bible Belt? Are you getting your rides in before Mass?

BTW to the riders at Tourne it was just a joke to spark up the emotions of few lurkers here on this forum such as Capt Phun who took the bait immediately:)

Phun you might want to rethink your invitation since you might be out of shape to keep up with me.

Carl

·
AussieLostInNyc
650 Posts
talking trash part II

cmaz44 said:
Phun you might want to rethink your invitation since you might be out of shape to keep up with me.
Carl
Speaking of talking trash..
Dan I will come down there and help you school that teddy bear Carl.
He has been over training on the road again and will fall to pieces on the first bumps he hits on the trail. :D

It's time to hit the dirt again Carl cause I heard they weren't going to sanitize the race courses this year.. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
363 Posts
gumby said:
Speaking of talking trash..
Speaking of Lurkers!!!!!!!! They come out one by one. Strange breed indeed. Some say that lurkers are just waiting for the spring so that they can put on their skirts and ride Tourne on Full Suspension vehicles.

Carl

·
Registered
485 Posts
You guys seem like a spunky bunch

anybody wanna go ride this trail tomorrow? im twenty minutes away in pequannock. been here six months and only ridden splitrock/wildcat ridge and ringwood. wussup?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
rryyddeerr said:
anybody wanna go ride this trail tomorrow? im twenty minutes away in pequannock. been here six months and only ridden splitrock/wildcat ridge and ringwood. wussup?
I'm riding Tourne again Saturday morning. Come watch me struggle against the hill.

·
Registered
363 Posts
NJ-XC-Justin said:
I'm riding Tourne again Saturday morning. Come watch me struggle against the hill.
Justin,

FYI: If you do several repeats of the hill climb to the scenic view, you will never struggle against the hill ever again. Quite fun on the way down.

Carl

·
Registered
485 Posts
that sounds like fun

NJ-XC-Justin said:
ill have to check with the little woman. my girlfriend is coming out from the city for the weekend and we usually train together, so ill have to see whats on her schedule. if this place isnt super technical, i might be able to talk her into coming. she makes a great rabbit up a hill. raced for a pro road team for a few years and is just having a little fun mtbing with me, but shes a terror on a climb. the other direction is a different story.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
As if I needed further reminder...

rryyddeerr said:
ill have to check with the little woman. my girlfriend is coming out from the city for the weekend and we usually train together, so ill have to see whats on her schedule. if this place isnt super technical, i might be able to talk her into coming. she makes a great rabbit up a hill. raced for a pro road team for a few years and is just having a little fun mtbing with me, but shes a terror on a climb. the other direction is a different story.
Great. All I need is an ex-pro female racer to whip me up every hill.

I was there around 9:30 last Saturday -- am trying for around the same this weekend. If anyone's up...

·
www.justthebonnet.com
1,475 Posts
Oh Cmazz... bring your cheezy NJ base miles down here. They will do you no good when you climb for 4 miles at close to 8% grade. Or you could take the "easy" way up the mountain and climb 7n miles at 5%. Either way its a Category 1 climb, and that crack n' fail Cannondale road bike will be a boat anchor fo you. And what about Gumby?? I thought I saw him at the Australian Open on tv. He was playing against Maria Sharapova.

·
Registered
428 Posts
you guys talk so much trash. I heard Sanitation dept. is hiring.

my plan for a road ride on saturday looks like a washout . I need that base that Carl has. I can't even go up a flight of stairs, forget 8% grade.I have been hibernating.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Capt_phun said:
Oh Cmazz... bring your cheezy NJ base miles down here. They will do you no good when you climb for 4 miles at close to 8% grade. Or you could take the "easy" way up the mountain and climb 7n miles at 5%. Either way its a Category 1 climb, and that crack n' fail Cannondale road bike will be a boat anchor fo you. And what about Gumby?? I thought I saw him at the Australian Open on tv. He was playing against Maria Sharapova.

So what your saying is I should bring my 16 lb TCR and whoop you on your turf.

BTW:I tried registering for the Mount Washington Hill Climb but it sold out in less than 3 hours. 7.6 miles going up with an average grade of 12%. Would have been fun puking all over a mountain as I cheat with an XTR derailer and cassette.

As for Gumby.....I knew that was him!!!!!! Nice backhand!!!

Carl

·
AussieLostInNyc
650 Posts
cmaz44 said:
As for Gumby.....I knew that was him!!!!!! Nice backhand!!!
It wasn't my backhand you were looking at! You like me in my tennis whites huh boyz..

Now I expect that from the Capt who moved to the banjo plucking backwoods but Carl you have definately shifted from your Jersey Shore Roots all big and macho :cool:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Capt_phun said:
CMazz....TCR huh? How you like it?? I've been eyeing a TCR or a Scott CR1. What size did you get??
I love it. It is like riding on suspension, buttery smooth but with abo****e lateral rigidity so you sprint like a champion. Some have complain about flex but those riders tend to be over 180 lbs and since I am weighing a 163 lbs these days I feel no flex whatsoever. I bought a medium and it was a perfect fit. I nailed my fit right from the get go with a 110 mm stem and just enough spacers for handle bar height. I would think the Scott CR1 would be just the same but a lot more money. I also looked at the Look Frames but for one frame at 3200 bucks costs more than what I built my TCR for. The best thing and worst thing about getting an awesome road ride is the fact that I constantly want to go road instead of MTB these days. It's just easier to ride from your house than packing up the car and getting to the trail head wasting gas and money along the way.

Carl

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
rryyddeerr said:
BTW - I rode Tourne again this morning, and I guess since rain was anticipated no one MTBs were around. Was perfect for a morning ride though -- maybe 48 and no rain.

Still can't make it up that damn hill. Maybe I'll try the lesser upgrade. Or maybe I'll quit doing the lake loop before I try the ascent. Or maybe I'll just get in shape. Next weekend Mahlon.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts