Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Desert Dweller
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me about the 41mi course. This is my first time and would like to go pre-ride the course. I've seen the map on the website, but it's pretty hard to tell just exactly where the trail is. Anyone else ride it b4. I understand that part of Los Burros is included, how about Land of Pioneers?
Thx...Dodi

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
Dodi said:
Can anyone tell me about the 41mi course. This is my first time and would like to go pre-ride the course. I've seen the map on the website, but it's pretty hard to tell just exactly where the trail is. Anyone else ride it b4. I understand that part of Los Burros is included, how about Land of Pioneers?
Thx...Dodi
It can be a bit confusing to ride. I'd contact the tour coordinators to see if they have a better map for a pre-ride. I did it last year (and am doing the 66 this year) but I don't remember it hitting those two sections - which is why I'm doing the 66 this year

·
Registered
21 Posts
crash test dummy said:
It can be a bit confusing to ride. I'd contact the tour coordinators to see if they have a better map for a pre-ride. I did it last year (and am doing the 66 this year) but I don't remember it hitting those two sections - which is why I'm doing the 66 this year
I did the 41 last year, too. Part of Los Burros was in there but Land of the Pioneers wasn't. We turned off Los Burros onto the fire road section back to the finish line. Land of the Pioneers is just a little past that point. I've signed up for the 52 this year. Pioneers was on the 52 two years ago and it probably is this year, too. See you there.

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
Dirdir said:
Just signed up for the 41 mile event. Is this thing, in general, a serious race or more social, both, what?
I'd say it is a pretty social event - there are always the hardcore folks but it seemed to me that most were there just to have fun and ride. I'm planning on going up Friday and camping Friday night and again Sat night so I can relax, enjoy the pines and drink some beer after the race. Last year alot of folks bailed right after the race so it was nice and peaceful except for us burrachos - hic!

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,179 Posts
Dirdir said:
Just signed up for the 41 mile event. Is this thing, in general, a serious race or more social, both, what?
A bunch of my riding pals and I have signed up for the tour. While I might try to do well in my class (odds are always better for the women), I'm out to have a good time. Most of us plan on camping Fri and Sat - should be a great time!

·
Registered
691 Posts
crash test dummy said:
Yuri,

Glad to hear you signed up for the 66 mile distance. I don't really plan to ride it as a race, but now I absolutely plan to finish just ahead of you, whatever it takes. :D

I'll be camping Friday and Saturday and looking forward to finally meeting alot more of the Phoenix/Valley folks from this forum.

John W.

·
I bike, I brew
190 Posts
I'm taking my virgin attempt with the TotWM too... I've signed up for the 52 miler, and have heard nothing but glowing reports about the ride (though I'm a little concerned about the trail markers, as several have commented that they got lost). Heck... it will be my first attempt at anything over 35 miles of "racing" in one shot (except for 24 hrs, but that's a different sorta thing), so I'm in it more for the experience. I'll be heading up Friday as well, but the wife doesn't do the "camping thing" too well, so we're hotelin' it. Likewise looking forward to meeting more of the Phx crowd...

Hank

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
Experience from a volunteer

I've swept the 66 mile race for the past three years. Every year, I'm amazed at the professionalism, coordination, and overall class of the operation.

That said, there are some spots where you can get lost. This is nearly unavoidable in a route network this complex -- realize that the 66 miler is just one of several events happening concurrently. There are intersections through which four or five different routes will pass. Unfortunately there can't be volunteers and ambassadors at every turn. I know exactly where people lose themselves, and I've done it myself: It's a dogleg on the Los Burros section of the trail, right where the trail heads up a valley.

Attitude is extremely laid-back, even for the guys at the front. The 66 miler racers who podium are so, so far beyond everyone else out there that you really won't see them after the first hour or so. The scene at home base is very cool and laid back, zillions of racers and bikes and families wandering around. Like a non-corporate, ******* version of the 24HitOP vibe.

The 66er is a difficult event. The trail itself isn't hard, but the accumulated effect is what breaks people: The altitude, the time, the sun, a handful of sketchy sections. I strongly recommend taking your breaks at the aid stations.

The 52 is a very nice version of the event. My first year, as a non-volunteer, I pooped out at the decision gate to hit Land of the Pioneers, so I followed the 52 back to base.

My understanding of the shorter events (41, 35, etc.) is that they're largely on the dirt road network up there. There's not a ton of singletrack on those events, mostly to keep traffic congestion down.

Anyway, it's a super-cool event and I'm looking forward to seeing more people up there this year. Probably volunteering again, although last year race coordinator Dave Mathews (who has never actually ridden his entire 66er in one shot) and I promised each other we'd actually race this year. Hopefully there will be a singlespeed category -- is there? I haven't looked at the registration material. So we'll see.

p.

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
Race? We don't need no stinkin race!

papajohn said:
Yuri,

Glad to hear you signed up for the 66 mile distance. I don't really plan to ride it as a race, but now I absolutely plan to finish just ahead of you, whatever it takes. :D

I'll be camping Friday and Saturday and looking forward to finally meeting alot more of the Phoenix/Valley folks from this forum.

John W.
It should be a good time for sure-seems like alot of folks are gonna be there. I have no delusions that this is a race (for me) - I just want to finish. 66 miles at that elevation is gonna be rough - I'll never forget the feeling I had when I finished the 60 soul ride and this is 6 more miles and a heck of alot higher

Attachments

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,444 Posts
66 miles, what we get ourselves into?

My wife and I signed up for the 66 miler. We have no idea what the course is like. Can someone give me the general info? What is the altitude like there? Is it mostly singletrack, fire roads, what? So Sept. 18th, are the trails still tacky from monsoons? Tire recomendations? Is there any must walk sections? Could I get away with road shoes and cleats? I might need them to avoid foot pain. Anything else we should know?

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
Dirdir said:
Did you do the 41 mile course? I am still wondering if it will be more fun to do the 52.
41 = almost no singletrack. It's not just a shortened version of the 52/66, it's on a mostly different route.

52 = about 2/3 singletrack. Big dirt road ride back to base (about 12 miles IIRC).

66 = about 3/4 singletrack, with pretty much the same dirt road ride back to base.

p.

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
Thanks

Paul B said:
41 = almost no singletrack. It's not just a shortened version of the 52/66, it's on a mostly different route.

52 = about 2/3 singletrack. Big dirt road ride back to base (about 12 miles IIRC).

66 = about 3/4 singletrack, with pretty much the same dirt road ride back to base.

p.
Thanks, I needed that. I may do the 52 instead of the 41 as it seems to be a better ride, assuming I am capable. I will need to read Tschai - Planet of Adventure again to motivate me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.