Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since it is spring and much of the lower routes are open, we hooked up for a nice ride around the City Different. Because of all the snow we received this winter the rivers were full (and cold), and it made some of the regular routes more interesting. Got in 33-miles, and 6800-ft of climbing, with the ride pretty much in the pinion-juniper zone, but some areas in pine were clear of snow.

1. On top of a small peak over looking town.
2. Pic. of the main river through town, which is normally dry...
3. Ran into some friends of ours heading the opposite way.
4. Climbing up the trail through a dry drainage
5. Looped over to another creek which brought us back into town.

Ride was great and so was the company. However, one guy in the group - clipped another riders handle bars on the way back into town and caused an asphalt wipe-out/slide at 25-mph. Lost a lot of skin because of this, but thankfully no broken bones..... I like the guy, but he is turning into such a hack he is endangering the other riders....

Anyway I hope you like the pics! It has been a while since I have posted any.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Looks like more fun than we had in Cloudcroft!

All those trail are lookin' good indeed. 33 miles is all..? :p JK! Some day the high-up stuff will dry out....

Speaking of WET, the High Altitude Classic in Cloudcroft was an abomination - low 30's, rain, then snow, then cold WIND, then torrents of mud, both on the trails and in my eyes - story to come. Would have been way more enjoyable here it seems...

Thanks for the gear drop-off BTW, looks SWEET!

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AndyN said:
Thanks for the pix Timo. Looks like you had a nice tour.

That's too bad about the asphalt wipe out, glad no one broke anything. Who's the hack?
Hey Andy, the guilty culprit is the guy we are starting to call Danover.

Anyway let me know when Brian arrives, we'll have to hook up for a ride. Kind of funny how we ran into each other at DB South.

M

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
glenzx said:
All those trail are lookin' good indeed. 33 miles is all..? :p JK! Some day the high-up stuff will dry out....

Speaking of WET, the High Altitude Classic in Cloudcroft was an abomination - low 30's, rain, then snow, then cold WIND, then torrents of mud, both on the trails and in my eyes - story to come. Would have been way more enjoyable here it seems...

Thanks for the gear drop-off BTW, looks SWEET!
Cool man. Sorry I could not drop it by Sat. Morning.....I left your home addy and the Zele' peeps could conect your street into the western hemisphere. Dana was cool though...

FYI: There is a nice 14-16" diameter trunk down accross the head of Chamisa, maybe 20-yards from the parking lot (just before the first left hand turn). Real easy one to drive to if ya got the time this week.... If you can't get it, I should be able to next weekend....

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Timo said:
Cool man. Sorry I could not drop it by Sat. Morning.....I left your home addy and the Zele' peeps could conect your street into the western hemisphere. Dana was cool though...

FYI: There is a nice 14-16" diameter trunk down accross the head of Chamisa, maybe 20-yards from the parking lot (just before the first left hand turn). Real easy one to drive to if ya got the time this week.... If you can't get it, I should be able to next weekend....
I'll gas up the chainsaw then! I think 20 yards in is doable :rolleyes: I assume you mean the "right" side trail, or the 'high road' out of the p-lot.

Clothes are bad ass BTW.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
glenzx said:
I'll gas up the chainsaw then! I think 20 yards in is doable :rolleyes: I assume you mean the "right" side trail, or the 'high road' out of the p-lot.

Clothes are bad ass BTW.
You are a good man, Charlie Brown. I only had my folding saw with me, but with a large diameter like that I need the hatchet for when the saw gets stuck. We did clear some smaller ones on Little Tesuque, FWIW. Again, I'll let you know when we do the Glorietta runs, most likely late next month. But so far a lot less trees are down this year than at this time last. I'll bet at elevation it is another story though.

Yeah, it is the trail on the right hand route, which involves one of my favorite climbs in SF. I refer to the left side trail as "dog-turd trail" because that meadow is just full of sh*t. I've descended on the left one a few times years ago, but then I found Sidewinder, saw Jesus (he was on a fully) and never went back. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.