Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Mtbr Founder
35,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did you know the Tour of CA starts this Sunday in Palo Alto?

Let's have a roll call of who's watching what stage and where.

The queen stage is next Wednesday, Feb. 20 from Modesto to Stockton. Make sure to take the afternoon off.

The prime watching spot is Sierra Road in San Jose. We'll ride to the top and do a little ride to Calaveras afterwards. What time should we meet at the bottom?

http://reviews.roadbikereview.com/tour-of-california#

fc

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
I've already got the 19th off. Gonna ride to downtown Sac and watch the finish from the capitol. I'll be showing up around 1230 so I can check out the festival, take lots of pics and get a good spot for the finish :cool:

·
Shocks?, Pegs?... Lucky!
799 Posts
Bikemonkey has a huge weekend planned in The Rosa.
CX race on Sat, with Live Music and Beer garden! sponsored by the City of SR (AKA biketown USA)
Road Crit on Sunday. (If you're not dead out from CX racing and beer chugging)
Post party Sunday night, release of the first edition of Bikemonkey magazine!!!!
Anybody got one of those Goldsprints setups?
Plus, there's a womne's Pro 1-2 Crit Monday AM downtown, then the Tour of Ca rolls through a few hrs later.
Siiiiiick.
Oh, and check out the new webiste.
www.bikemonkey.net
Live updates from Yuri Hauswald throughout the tour!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
sirkrameroy said:
I'll be in Palo Alto on Sunday and hopefully on Sierra for the Wed. climbing fest (depending on work schedule). Now lets just hope the weather holds out for another great week!
The Prologue conflicts with CCCX on Sunday, :madman: But I plan to be at Sierra on Wednesday. :cool:

·
baggin ho's
737 Posts
I'll be throwing down the g-funk roadside extraveganza on the KOM on Stage one. last year we had 50 people this year we are hoping for 100. Santa Rosa does it up pretty nicely downtown too.
stage 2 kom on trinity road, then off to sac for the finish
stage 3 sierra road
satge 4 first kom in big sur BOMB to the finish in SLO
stage 5 Solvang TT top o the hill (of Course)
stage 6 second KOM where the pope was last year. those guys will be geared better for that climb this year unfortunately. BOMB to the finish in Santa Clarita

stage 7 on the couch at home

I hear that there is a new specialized angel this year. Hopefully she will be as cool as the last one.

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,680 Posts
I'll be there....wrenching for Toyota-United for the first couple of stages, then getting back to the shop to take care of business that I'm leaving hanging when I leave tonight to head to Palo Alto to start working.
Throw something at the big monkey with a wrench under the Toyota tent(or in teh back of a follow car), that'll be me.

Can't wait for the race! Should be waaaay more open this year.

We'll see how much Astana has to prove after not getting the invite to the other Tour this year! DOH!!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
g-funk said:
I hear that there is a new specialized angel this year. Hopefully she will be as cool as the last one.
Don't you mean hopefully she will be as HOT as the last one?

·
Fireball in the Night
1,624 Posts
Angels are among us...

g-funk said:
She's married to a friend of mine... local guitar instructor / touring musician Bill Ireton.
They lovvvvve the compliments.
Here's a link to his site and a link to her gallery is included.
Originally, Specialized intended to have two Angels... and decided that one would suffice.

Rexxx

Updated:
Soooooooooo, the news on the street is that the big, red S wanted a bilingual Angel. As if the Angel actually speaks!

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I'll be at downtown Santa Rosa for the end of stage one. Last year they had a really fun festival.

My 2 year-old really loves the cowbells.

I'll also be a spectator at the bikemonkey cx race on Saturday

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
most likely the Solvang TT for me

I'll either make the pilgrimage to the top Sierra Rd. on Wednesday [since I'll be working @ Santa Cruz next week], or I'll go watch the time trial @ Solvang on Friday, since I'll be back in SLO Thursday evening.
I'm rooting for the home team @ this TOC: "High Road" now based in SLO, was clipping along on a training ride down Los Osos Valley Rd. in two groups this morning. And I got a chance to wish one of their riders well in front of Peet's when I stopped for cup of coffee. He was German, and headed was headed to Portugal, for the Tour of Algave later this week. Really pleasant and outgoing bunch, the High Road guys seem to realize they're ambassadors for the sport.
As for TOC, I fear we better enjoy it while we can, cause' it looks like the sport of international professional road racing is imploding, and no sponsor in their right mind is going to invest a race or team with without some certainty of visibility/good publicity in the near future. Couple a poor economy, with the Giro and Tour de France organizers controlling the marque events, being really erratic [and provincial] with their invitations [no 2007 1st and 3rd place finisher in 2008?!], sponsors aren't guaranteed the visibility they need to make their financial investment in a team worthwhile.
Sooo, this year, go out and cheer, and bring a friend or three because that's about the only influence we, as enthusiasts, are going to have on this ugly dynamic, professional road cycling finds itself in.

·
Are we there yet?
794 Posts
jeffh said:
The Prologue conflicts with CCCX on Sunday, :madman: But I plan to be at Sierra on Wednesday. :cool:
ATBScott and I are riding Sierra and then setting up camp to watch the riders. Let's connect!

Good luck at CCCX. I'm missing the first two due to trips but I might see ya at the third one. I think we can talk ATBScott into it too.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts