Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No surprises here, the GDR organizers lashed out on the Tour Divide after the race had already started. Intentional or not, this sort of action and its timing is disappointing.

Let's not forget how this "divide in the divide" started:

10-31-2006
pbasinger said:
Discuss it in another thread
You're being obnoxious.
11-01-06
Krein said:
He has failed to convince me that the GDR should include Canada, despite his many attempts.
Let's move on already.
So we didn't start another thread, we started another race. Growing discontent in the community fueled the fire. Everything big to small; from Canada, to cell phones, to requirements, to banning comments on the blog.

The Tour Divide was not founded out of spite of the GDR as Mike C. might rudely suggest. On the contrary, it was founded because racers wanted to rise to the *biggest* challenge. Love for the route, a desire for an improved website with better tracking and information, and a consistent set of rules that did not change from year to year was the beat of our drum. All of our ideas had been presented to the GDR steering committee for years; however, all of our suggestions were met with "get lost."

Pete and Mike now try to put all the blame for the schism in the divide community on the Tour Divide. This could be farther from the truth. We are not interested in slandering the GDR. We would never suggest someone lied about their record to the press (and then admit our own foolishness and switch up the criticism). We also do not judge others for their decision as to which race to compete in as it has been suggested (in fact, two people, John N. and Nathan B. who I have ridden with and think highly of are both racing the GDR this year). We honor and respect everyone who races, rides, and snowshoes the route. And, for the record, Jay P is at the top of our list.

If the GDR and their "blog buddies" wants to continue a self-righteous pissing contest with the TD and continue making insults towards the race's participants, they are free too. However, I am not interested. I'll be here helping see endurance racing improve with time rather than score "burn" points on online forums.

Good luck to all Tour Divide *and* Great Divide Racers. I hope we can all be fortunate enough to race against each other another day...

·
This place needs an enema
17,081 Posts
You've chosen an odd way of trying to get past the 'self righteous pissing contest'.

In your hyper-link-a-thon above you conveniently missed one potentially important link. Why? Only you can say.

The quote is pulled from the same thread that got you all wound up in the first place.

"Matt has legitimate reasons for starting TD and he's passionate about making a splash with the inaugural race. I respect that very much. But the non-stop spin is unnecessary and bordering on ridiculous. TD has enough merit to stand on it's own two feet independent of the GDR. Wish that those that are pouring so much time, energy, and passion into TD promotion could get a grip and realize just that."

Compliments were given! Gasp! I put 'em in bold above so that you couldn't conveniently miss 'em again.

Maybe you could take a half step back and realize that the founders of the GDR really are happy that TD exists? Maybe not for the same reasons you are, but happy all the same. Enjoy it. Water it and make it grow.

MC

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
sizlinseagulsoup said:
No surprises here, the GDR organizers lashed out on the Tour Divide after the race had already started. Intentional or not, this sort of action and its timing is disappointing.

Let's not forget how this "divide in the divide" started:

10-31-2006

11-01-06

So we didn't start another thread, we started another race. Growing discontent in the community fueled the fire. Everything big to small; from Canada, to cell phones, to requirements, to banning comments on the blog.

The Tour Divide was not founded out of spite of the GDR as Mike C. might rudely suggest. On the contrary, it was founded because racers wanted to rise to the *biggest* challenge. Love for the route, a desire for an improved website with better tracking and information, and a consistent set of rules that did not change from year to year was the beat of our drum. All of our ideas had been presented to the GDR steering committee for years; however, all of our suggestions were met with "get lost."

Pete and Mike now try to put all the blame for the schism in the divide community on the Tour Divide. This could be farther from the truth. We are not interested in slandering the GDR. We would never suggest someone lied about their record to the press (and then admit our own foolishness and switch up the criticism). We also do not judge others for their decision as to which race to compete in as it has been suggested (in fact, two people, John N. and Nathan B. who I have ridden with and think highly of are both racing the GDR this year). We honor and respect everyone who races, rides, and snowshoes the route. And, for the record, Jay P is at the top of our list.

If the GDR and their "blog buddies" wants to continue a self-righteous pissing contest with the TD and continue making insults towards the race's participants, they are free too. However, I am not interested. I'll be here helping see endurance racing improve with time rather than score "burn" points on online forums.

Good luck to all Tour Divide *and* Great Divide Racers. I hope we can all be fortunate enough to race against each other another day...
With all due respect(and much respect is due).......The best thing that you could do at this point is drop it. The two races brought strong fields this year.....there are enough participants to go around. No need to continue this drama year after year.

Do yourself, TD, GDR and the rest of the endurance world a favor and drop it. It's not benefiting anyone at this point....but it is making us look like school children.

Best,

B

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mikesee said:
Compliments were given! Gasp! I put 'em in bold above so that you couldn't conveniently miss 'em again.
Thanks Mike for bringing up an important point that not all is bad blood.

I am primarily trying to shut down the prevailing option that has been put forth on this specific forum that the TD is about envy, jealously, and self-serving (note hyperlinks above). Repeating that TD is surrounded in misinformation (hyperlinks above) and refusing to back up the claim (links above) doesn't make it true. Token compliments is not needed (above), civility is (nowhere to be seen). I just wanted to set the finally set the record straight, after personally not completely getting into it thinking the drama would eventually go away (I'm naive, I know). Before the inevitable next swipe against racers rising to the challenge, remember what brought us to this point.

That is all. Drink a beer or two, there's a while before the next race.

·
Rocky Mountain High
234 Posts
sizlinseagulsoup said:
Thanks Mike for bringing up an important point that not all is bad blood.

I am primarily trying to shut down the prevailing option that has been put forth on this specific forum that the TD is about envy, jealously, and self-serving (note hyperlinks above). Repeating that TD is surrounded in misinformation (hyperlinks above) and refusing to back up the claim (links above) doesn't make it true. Token compliments is not needed (above), civility is (nowhere to be seen). I just wanted to set the finally set the record straight, after personally not completely getting into it thinking the drama would eventually go away (I'm naive, I know). Before the inevitable next swipe against racers rising to the challenge, remember what brought us to this point.

That is all. Drink a beer or two, there's a while before the next race.
If I can sideline this enthralling debate for a sec - what's goin' on with the TD Leaderboard?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
100% recycled
383 Posts
It seems he has ridden into the night and not had much sleep for the past few days in order to catch up. They are now only a few hours behind a record pace.

Kevin: the cyclingnews article was quite inaccurate and should have been posted immediately (even if those involved may not have been here to explain any misconceptions), but how do you counter spin?- by spinning the other way.

·
Rocky Mountain High
234 Posts
afie said:
It seems he has ridden into the night and not had much sleep for the past few days in order to catch up. They are now only a few hours behind a record pace.

Kevin: the cyclingnews article was quite inaccurate and should have been posted immediately (even if those involved may not have been here to explain any misconceptions), but how do you counter spin?- by spinning the other way.
Matt really laid it down to catch up. It'll be interesting to see how it affects his ability to stay at it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.