Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Just finished watching ride the divide and never got a clear enough look at what bike shoes the guys are wearing? I know there is plenty of hike a bike so I was wondering what the preferred shoe is? I know it's largely a personal preference but there has to be a preferred style for ultra endurance...Thanks!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've never done a race like this before, so I'm not really recommending these shoes for that race, BUT, I like my Bontrager SSR's (http://bontrager.com/model/09134) They are a "multisport" shoe that is fairly comfortable to walk around in as well as sturdy enough to put miles in on. I used them for a complete CX season as well as training on gravel roads. Give them a look, they're economical.

·
Registered
374 Posts
bncrshr77 said:
Hello,

Just finished watching ride the divide and never got a clear enough look at what bike shoes the guys are wearing? I know there is plenty of hike a bike so I was wondering what the preferred shoe is? I know it's largely a personal preference but there has to be a preferred style for ultra endurance...Thanks!
You can pretty clearly see what the main guys are wearing during the movie - Mike Dion is wearing Specialized shoes and Matt Lee is wearing Diadoras (that look really beat up). I noticed as I was wondering the same thing about all the HAB on the route

·
Registered
320 Posts
bncrshr77 said:
I think the zebra stripes are the answer!!!
The stripes worked for cippolini.

Good eye on whoever spotted my Diadoras from the film. And yes, they were very tired. They were basically my mudding shoes. At the last minute i was told by my factory team sponsor that i must wear them if i was to be profiled in a film (my sponsor owned/distributed Diadora then). Every other year I raced in Lakes (by choice). I've had good luck with 330s and 170s. If you are looking for a great hiker, the 165s are it, however, on the Great Divide route, the hiking occurs mainly in towns, between grocery store isles. There is very little actual hike-a-bike on the route. Buy your shoes for comfortable, all-day spinning, with no hotspotting, or toe-box cramping (space); hours positioned forward in the aero bars means you'll be pointing toes more downward at times.

Lots of rookies are racing TD cold this year without prior bikepacking/race-touring experience. I realize why, but there are lots of guys in for a real eye-opening. The film romanticizes the race, so it's easy to come away from it not quite understanding how much suffering is packed in there. Buyers beware!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies!! I was looking at the 165's since I primarily do adventure races and end up doing a bunch of hike a bike....I'm looking at the tour dive several years from now..

·
Registered
323 Posts
mathewsen said:
Buy your shoes for comfortable, all-day spinning, with no hotspotting, or toe-box cramping (space); hours positioned forward in the aero bars means you'll be pointing toes more downward at times.
Yeah, and I discovered the effect too much toe-space in my shoes can have as well, on a recent XCM - one of my toes is rubbed to a major callous, never noticed until now! Looks like the Mafia did a number on it with a claw-hammer.

·
Registered
58 Posts
+1 Lake with a caveat

never done any endurance racing as I'm not a competitive type.I have though done a few loaded tours on paved and dirt roads and have some bikepacking trips planned.More importantly I worked as a bike messenger in Chicago for years.This involves 8-10 hour work days in all kinds of weather with a good bit of time on your feet walking standing around waiting on elevators etc.add to that the commute downtown dropping off your paper work at the company office a stop to get dinner and maybe go to the bar. your in your shoes for most of the day five days a week.Lakes were hands down the best shoe I ever used for this no hotspots no numbness no discomfort of any kind as stiff as anything and not bad to walk in.they also lasted almost two years which is pretty impressive under that level of (ab)use. my only problem was the BOA on the winter boots breaking.that being said everyone's feet are different Lakes might be horrible for you.

ps specialized shoes were a close second.my feet wold get a little sore towards the end of the work week

·
upgrade until you suck
190 Posts
I'm planning on using my Sidi Dominators that have been trustworthy for a number of years and numerous tours/long rides. I believe in the end that the best shoe is the one that fits your foot, so everyone in the TD will be in different shoes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.