Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
It's been fascinating to watch these past two days. I look at who is in the lead (mostly Connor O'Leary, so far) and then look at the guys right behind him and it really makes me curious when some of them are doing speed in the teens while others are basically stopped. I always wonder if it's a mechanical issue or just a glitch in the SPOT system.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I did read over on backpacking.net that a rider has been transported from the course via ambulance. The report was a concussion.

·
Registered
887 Posts
It's been fascinating to watch these past two days. I look at who is in the lead (mostly Connor O'Leary, so far) and then look at the guys right behind him and it really makes me curious when some of them are doing speed in the teens while others are basically stopped. I always wonder if it's a mechanical issue or just a glitch in the SPOT system.
As far as I can tell the average speed is pretty unreliable. The only thing that I trust about the speed is that it does read 0 when they are stopped.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Incredible finish by the three guys up front.

Lael is seriously killing it too - sitting in 6th overall and well ahead of the Women's record.

·
Lord Thunderbottom
913 Posts

Lael finished #6 overall and #1 woman. Set a new course record of 17:01:51. :thumbsup:
all these riders are badass

need more pictures of the truck in the background....

·
Registered
48 Posts
So since Lael was using last years GPX file and went slightly off track they're not counting her overall finishing place? But I believe they are still crediting her with the record.

BTW, she rode last years route because she didn't know they updated the GPX file due to her riding to Banff from her home in Alaska. This woman is a serious bad ass. She crushed it.

·
Lord Thunderbottom
913 Posts
So since Lael was using last years GPX file and went slightly off track they're not counting her overall finishing place? But I believe they are still crediting her with the record.

BTW, she rode last years route because she didn't know they updated the GPX file due to her riding to Banff from her home in Alaska. This woman is a serious bad ass. She crushed it.
That sucks...

for this little section?

6-30-2015 6-51-16 AM.jpg

·
Registered
14,358 Posts
I hope that decision is still being reviewed.

1. you can't keep changing **** until the last second of the ride as people have to prepare and travel to the event

2. they didn't make it clear that the route was changed at the start

3. it doesn't seem like she derived any benefit from this

If you watch the TD movie you saw major rules violations that were not punished that did provide benefit to the rider in question.

If you want to be a rules hard ass than you have to make sure your end of the deal [dissemination of information] was done without fault. That doesn't seem to be the case.

You have wild and loose organization AND strict rules enforcement.

This particular problem could be solved by having a route/rule change deadline of say 2 weeks out from event so racers would at least know when they could stop worrying that some detail would change without being well communicated that might compromise their ride status.

·
Lord Thunderbottom
913 Posts
I thought the whole point was self supported point A to point B and stop at the checkpoints, I highly doubt that there is much benefit at all to any different route as it's still along the mountains

1 - 20 of 21 Posts