Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
And they're off. Myself, Brendan and Matt rode with the riders and took pictures this morning of the first section (to Smith-Dorien road). They left under clear skies but it's been raining lightly on and off since then. The trail was in great shape and everyone seemed excited to get started. The group seemed huge as I worked my way back through the field taking pictures.

Viva la mexico!

·
I'm from Utah
171 Posts
Just talked to Geoff in Whitefish, Mont. He watched a huge swath of Tour Dividers roll through town today. He completely missed the three leaders because they're going so fast. Sounds like most are still looking fresh and raring to go south. Exciting stuff. He told me Ardie Olson is using a race strategy of 24 hours on, 12 hours off. Interesting concept for sure. I would think a schedule like this would come back to haunt you, if that's what he's doing. Zombie territory for me, at least.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Those guys made it over the snow fast.
24/ 12 is an interesting strategy. I actually think that is a more practical approach than going off of daily mileage or trying to reach certain locations each day, but I think a 18/8 or 20/ 10 would be considerably easier than doing so many full 24 hr days. We'll know in a few days how it works out for him.

·
100% recycled
379 Posts
chipw said:
I'm really enjoying following this race. I'd be interested in seeing what loads these guys are carrying. Anybody got some links to gear lists, packs ect.
thanks,
Chip
Try searching these forums for posts on the great divide race and tour divide. There are loads of blogs and info linked from the tour divide site and elsewhere.

·
Registered
31 Posts
thanks guys. A wealth of info in those old posts. Looking at the TD pictures from this year, It appears that Matt Lee isnt wearing a pack. I like the idea of keeping the weight off my back. I wonder if 3 bottles would be enough? Probably need more capacity down in NM. One thing is for sure, his load looks extremely light.

·
Cycling, FTW!!
478 Posts
Reuben & Matt

I went out on a bike ride yesterday in an attempt to bump into the leaders. Spot tracking was down yesterday, but I knew that the guys had got into Rawlins at a decent time the night before so I figured they would be hitting it hard on the push to Steamboat.

I headed up FR42 and made it within a mile of the pass before I came across this. (looking back)

I thought to myself that the west side of the pass gets more sun, so there must be less snow. I was wrong.

Farther down the snow was gone, but the mud was awful.

It was getting dark now but I kept going, thinking for sure I would bump into Matt and Reuben any second. Well, when it was too dark to see without my light I figured I'd better turn around because I wasn't sure how much juice my light had. I was also starting to figure out that the guys had called it a night and set up camp somewhere. So I went home.

This morning I headed back out FR42 in hopes of getting some pics of the guys slogging through the snow. They were way too fast and I hadn't hit the snow line by the time I ran into them. We chatted briefly, and I snapped a few pictures of them on our way down to Steamboat Lake.

They both seemed quite relaxed and not in much of a hurry. It sounds like they are going to make a quick pit stop in Steamboat this morning and head south up Lynx pass this afternoon.

Welcome to Colorado.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Their setups are quite similar (going light and no backpacks). I wonder if Matt Lee has another H20 bottle/or bladder stashed in the seat pack? I can't imagine doing this race on two bottles, but then again he has soooo much experience. Thanks for posting the pics.

·
100% recycled
379 Posts
Thanks for the pics.
Looks like matt is carrying 2.5L in visible exterior bottles, and I am sure he has the ability to carry a bladder somewhere. But without a backpack, the question is where?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.