Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 311 Posts

·
I am the owl
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's that time of year to start hitting the Tour de Patapsco route. The trails are drying out, the days are getting longer and a river crossing or two actually feels good instead of bringing risk of hypothermia on a long endurance ride.

I know there was chatter on here last season from quite a few riders about wanting to do the Avalon to McKeldin run. I never thought I'd get around to doing it, but I've finally compiled a written guide to help first timers navigate the Tour de Patapsco. Excuse the disclaimers at the beginning, but experience has taught me some people's eyes are bigger than their belly and need to have a few points emphasized before digging into a ride like this. :yikes:

Have fun and post some pix of your adventures to this thread.

·
ISO Perpetual FLOW
133 Posts
Life and Liberty said:
thanks for the guide, this is great!

edit: gotta get ready for the Stoopid 50 somehow...
We got a month and a half to get ready. I would recommend doing long, long rides in the shed or Michaux to tune up for The Stoopid50. The terrian is similar but the climbs are longer at the race.

When are you guys planning on doing this ride?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Nice writeup, riderx. Cableguy & I did a mini recon last fall from Soapstone to Hilltop to Thistle and through the horsefarm to River Rd. Looking forward to riding the full distance.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Life & Liberty...heed well to 269er's advice...been there done it, to prepare you'll really need to do some LONGGGGG rides at the shed and/or Michauex...hey 269er, remember the Mile Climb that EVERYONE walks...looked like the climb out of Nome Alaska during the gold rush...:) It's a FANTASTIC ride though all the same...

Maybe the 16th/17th...since I dont plan on killing myself at the 60+ miles of Rocktober...

·
Bicycle rider
1,055 Posts
ChrisJ said:
Anybody planning on doing this anytime soon? I wouldn't mine tagging along.
A bunch of us were talking about it yesterday while on a ride. We all want to do it but just need to pick a date! Stay tuned!

·
ISO Perpetual FLOW
133 Posts
cableguy46 said:
Life & Liberty...heed well to 269er's advice...been there done it, to prepare you'll really need to do some LONGGGGG rides at the shed and/or Michauex...hey 269er, remember the Mile Climb that EVERYONE walks...looked like the climb out of Nome Alaska during the gold rush...:) It's a FANTASTIC ride though all the same...

Maybe the 16th/17th...since I dont plan on killing myself at the 60+ miles of Rocktober...
Yea... that is one of the coolest trails/races around :thumbsup:

Riding Patapsco is not going to be enough to get ready for that race. The distance is only part of the equation... you also have to contend with the trails, the climbs and the racers. That being said the trails there are epic in every sense of the word. Where Greenbrier has sections of rock gardens the Stoopid50 has miles of them. I got in a little over 5100' of climbing this weekend at the Greenbrier race... don't know the #'s for sure but at the Stoopid50 that'll pale in comparison. The only reason this is still a maybe on my schedule is because of our daughters plans to do some of the Kenda Cup East races. She's thirteen and has been racing for five years now and has a really good chance of placing in the overall series. So I'll pass on the Stoopid50 and start getting her ready.

Which brings me back to this thread... cableguy46... if it's cool we would like to join you guys for the ride on 5/16 or 5/17. It'll most likely be the wife, our girl and me. Don't worry guys the girls won't slow you down... my wife races expert and our daughter races sport 19-34.

Would you take the lead on this and set a date for us?

A proud dad doing a little gloating...

jenny 00001.jpg jenny 00002.jpg

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I think Saturday the 16th would be good...give everyone Sunday to relax...chime in everyone..good day?...I was with Eujinc when we rode it to at least River road...from there it'll be an adventure...:) A couple of young guys I ride DH with said they did the ride to Sykesville from Patapsco last weekend, I'll see them this Sunday and ask dirctions and/or if they care to join us...

Great picture 269er...that was Gunnar taking the picture wasn't it? good job love the one of her pushing the front tire to the finish line...

·
ISO Perpetual FLOW
133 Posts
Saturday is good for us.

Not sure who took it him or Randy.

You should've stayed and ate burgers and brauts with us.

·
Registered
633 Posts
269er said:
Don't worry guys the girls won't slow you down... my wife races expert and our daughter races sport 19-34.
Slow us down? I think it's the other way around. They might end up waiting for the rest of us. ;)

Weekend of May 16 looks like it should work for me.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Now that I would have to see ya do Mister C...she'd be out on that trail in a wedding dress HUNTING you down like a dog...HAHAHAHAHAHA....Deliverence of the MTB world.

1 - 20 of 311 Posts