Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the LBS Saturday picking up my bike - new seat and computer.

The talk turned to the Tour de france.

One of the owners said there are some things you never see on TV:

the lunch break where everyone stops at once for lunch in a field...
The guys whipping it out and whizzing on cars at the side of the road

Guys with "stomach issues" who poop on the side of the road

Guys with stomach troubles who refuse to stop (Greg Lemond years ago) and who the peloton stays 15 yards away from

Fact from fantasy - any truth to this?

·
Perpetually single track
3,175 Posts
FAIK. they don't stop for lunch...they're given feed bags at a feed station, and eat while riding. Everyonce in awhile you'll hear about a guy eating $hit (pun intended) when his food bag gets caught up in his front wheel. I think LIVE coverage usually picks up after the feed station though.

·
Surfin' da mountain
809 Posts
In TV coverage of Stage 12 or 13...

...they showed the Peleton come close to a stop for a so-called nature break. About 20-30 riders quickly pulled off the road to water the grass in an area not too populated with spectators.

As for stopping for a 15 minute lunch break? thatz not true.

These guys do training rides 3-6 hours a day when not racing. Their bodies are fairly conditioned to wait until after the ride. I'm sure there's the occasional guy who has to push one out, hiding behind a bush or a using spectator's camper facilities. It happens!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info

I kinda thought they were pulling my leg (although they've been great to me with the bike)

Good to get the background details.
The race is pretty fun to watch, especially yesterday when rain kept me from biking

Great insights!!

Cucucachu said:
...they showed the Peleton come close to a stop for a so-called nature break. About 20-30 riders quickly pulled off the road to water the grass in an area not too populated with spectators.

As for stopping for a 15 minute lunch break? thatz not true.

These guys do training rides 3-6 hours a day when not racing. Their bodies are fairly conditioned to wait until after the ride. I'm sure there's the occational guy who has to push one out, hiding behind a bush or a using spectator's camper facilities. It happens!

·
Registered
451 Posts
I've never seen the lunch thing but...

I did hear that if a guys gotta go, the peloton will ease up and let him get back in the mix...once he's done, that is. A picture actually surfaced last year in one of the cycling mags of a guy taking a wiz on the side of the road with the peloton moving away in the background. Hey, it's bound to happen. You take on that volume of fluids and it's got to go somewhere.

Also, if the tour goes through the home town of one of the riders, he gets to stop and visit with family while the peloton eases the pace so he can later re-join them. This actually happened early in the race this year, maybe third stage.

Some strange unwritten rules in the Tour.

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
most not urban legands

mbrmegan said:
I was at the LBS Saturday picking up my bike - new seat and computer.

The talk turned to the Tour de france.

One of the owners said there are some things you never see on TV:

the lunch break where everyone stops at once for lunch in a field...
The guys whipping it out and whizzing on cars at the side of the road

Guys with "stomach issues" who poop on the side of the road

Guys with stomach troubles who refuse to stop (Greg Lemond years ago) and who the peloton stays 15 yards away from
during one of the recent stages the camera actually did catch a guy standing on the side of the road taking a whiz. and if you either listen to Phil & Paul on the OLN live broadcast or read cyclingnews.com they talk about the peleton slowing down so guys can take a "nature break".

read Bob Roll's book if you want a good laugh about guys pooping on the side of the road.

the part about stopping for lunch i've never heard before and would guess it's an urban legend....or a mis-truth (since an urban legend is defined as something that is not true yet people in all different parts of the country/world believe it is true. e.g., some famous male movie star having a gerbil removed from his anus.....never happened.)

rt

·
Registered
922 Posts
last year on the live OLN they showed a camera shot panning from in front of the peleton then focused on one rider. in the back ground another rider was whipping it out to pee. they edited this shot out of the later shows.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Not an urban legand

A couple years ago there was abreak away that had a few minutes on the peleton when they came upon a train that was off schedule and was blocking the road they had to stop until the train went by and continued on, the race director then stopped the whole peleton at the exact same spot(no train) and made them wait the same amount of time that the break away had waited. I thought it was pretty interesting. Of course the break got cought before the end of the stage but at least they made the race fair!

·
Registered
515 Posts
I'd recommend that you read French Revolutions by Tim Moore if you want more of the trivia and unusual incidents, aswell as an insight into the characters, of the Tour. It covers the Greg Lemond runny stomach incident (which is more than his shorts did).

·
Tear it all out!
7,739 Posts
DoctorJD said:
A picture actually surfaced last year in one of the cycling mags of a guy taking a wiz on the side of the road with the peloton moving away in the background.
It was of Lance actually. It was posted on one of the MTBR boards at the time.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
The "bag" refered to is called a Musette

It is a light canvas bag with a matching strap which can be worn over the neck and shoulder. It is filled with the best food a Soigneur can find to nourish a rider. The bags are tossed onto the roadside when the racers have finished their repast. They would be quite a souvenier.

·
Registered
571 Posts
No lunch breaks

The riders all grab food bags and throw it over their shoulders and eat on the go.

For the main green light riders, like our pal Lancie or his rival Ulrich, they don't have to carry their own food bags. They have domestique riders who carry the food for them and hand it to them as needed. The domestique is a real thing, no urban myth incase someone thinks it sounds funny, like having a house keeper or maid on wheels.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
interesting...

excellent info.

The tour is very odd in some of its behaviour.
i like how riders from different teams encourage each other.

letting the guy stop to visit his family - that was nice but odd

DoctorJD said:
I did hear that if a guys gotta go, the peloton will ease up and let him get back in the mix...once he's done, that is. A picture actually surfaced last year in one of the cycling mags of a guy taking a wiz on the side of the road with the peloton moving away in the background. Hey, it's bound to happen. You take on that volume of fluids and it's got to go somewhere.

Also, if the tour goes through the home town of one of the riders, he gets to stop and visit with family while the peloton eases the pace so he can later re-join them. This actually happened early in the race this year, maybe third stage.

Some strange unwritten rules in the Tour.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ha!

I thought the pee thing might be true!

CycleMainiac said:
last year on the live OLN they showed a camera shot panning from in front of the peleton then focused on one rider. in the back ground another rider was whipping it out to pee. they edited this shot out of the later shows.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.