Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Don't be a sheep
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that follow the Tour, the sh*t is officially hitting the fan as a Spanish investigation has released names of all those implicated in a Doping ring and most of the top contenders are mentioned. Ullrich, Basso, Vino etc. Luckily all the American contenders have remained out of the investigation. The governing body (ASO) of the Tour has stated that those implicated will not be allowed to start, I wonder if they'll have enough riders to actually have the race. Oh and a bunch of pro XC MTB'ers were mentioned also.

·
Don't be a sheep
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JohnnyTooBad said:
Just like the friggin UCI. guilty until proven innocent. Lovely!:mad:
The UCI is totally out of this one, in fact they were trying to force ASO to take the Astana-Wurth squad. It's the ASO, they are the company that runs the TDF as well as a few other high profile races, they are not under obligation to do anything the UCI says, it's their race, they do what they want.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Dag Otto said:
Huh? Did you even read the link you posted? Not one word about even the possibility of the Tour being cancelled. In fact it's confirmation that Astana-Wurth will start.
He is just making a point. Who is left to ride the race when everybody has been excluded. I know - Floyd Landis!

·
Registered
17 Posts
anand said:
He is just making a point. Who is left to ride the race when everybody has been excluded. I know - Floyd Landis!
I would be very disappointed if riders are suspended in the middle of the race this year. It's really looking to be a very interesting and hard fought race.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Dag Otto said:
Huh? Did you even read the link you posted? Not one word about even the possibility of the Tour being cancelled. In fact it's confirmation that Astana-Wurth will start.
yeah, no doubt. With headlines like this, the thread starter ought to work for a tabloid.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Whether the riders are guilty of doping or not, the fact is that they lied to their team manager by signing a declaration to say that had no involvement " in any way ".

Turns out that riders such as Ullrich had indeed visited the clinic / doctor thats under investigation and to the team manager that consitutes an involvement ( doping or not ).

As such, the team have dropped the riders for what looks like essentially a breach of contract and to me thats 100% the right decision to me. Hopefully more of this will make the pro cycling scene sit up and realise the issues their sport has.

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Will tarnish cycling a bit am sure.................. Dam it, all that reading on the riders I have done................ Basso is the one that hits home, he has been riding great...mmmmmmmmmmmm life is a funny old thing, the desire to win at all costs drives humans to do odd things these days......................:confused:

·
Category Winner
6,130 Posts
I woke up this morning and about crapped my pants. I can't believe what is going on. I am so disappointed. Not in anyone, or any organization, just disappointed for the fans of cycling. This was going to be the best tour in years.
Sob.

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
teamdicky said:
I woke up this morning and about crapped my pants. I can't believe what is going on. I am so disappointed. Not in anyone, or any organization, just disappointed for the fans of cycling. This was going to be the best tour in years.
Sob.
So right team dicky, the man I respect hugely was not going to be in the tour this year. It was an open book, was going to be a huge spectacle..................As you say the best and more than likely the closest in years................ Will have to wait and see what will happen..........:cryin: :cryin: :cryin:

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
All I can say is Hah, serves 'em right. It might have looked to be one of the closet Tours in years, but the "desire" to win is driving people in every sport to "suppliment" and does not send a good message to the youth of the world. Maybe this will be an eye openner and help clean things up a bit. I still think it's going to be a very interesting tour, jsut it won't be won by a "big name", some poor little pion will win and history will have been changed :D yeh for the pions.

Maybe our EX MTB champ Rassmusen will have a chance to win it (without the stiff competition in the time trials -it's hard to figure where to hold on those fandangled TT HB's) :D

·
Registered
520 Posts
Basso, Ulrich, Beloki, and Pretty much the entire Astana Wurth Team. Which means Vinikourov won't have any support if the remainder of the team rides at all...

What a boring tour it will be...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.