Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to set my 2006 heckler up to be as close to a freeride machine as I can get it. I have a dhx 5 on the back and a pike 426 on the front. I am thinking of upgrading the fork -Wondering what you guys think is the 160mm fork that can take the most all out freeride abuse

·
Registered
606 Posts
Tried a few and nothing comes close to a 36 Van RC2 FIT. Got a 160mm last year and for this had to get me a 180mm. Yeah, that good.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
That Pike is probably a better setup for the geometries of that bike and after a rebuild your Pike will be retarded buttery smooth and tough as nails. But if you had to go with a 160 fork that's burly, easy to service, trouble free, etc. I'd say a 36 Van or 36 Float if you want to spend more and have a lighter setup. I've run totems and love them until they blow up. Servicing them is easy enough and Rock Shox has always covered mine under warranty which is rad, but it gets frustrating. I've never run the Xfusion but I've only heard very good things about them.

·
Perpetual Hack
2,187 Posts
for stiff - Magura Wotan. 36mm and Double Arch. You can feel the flex in my Lyrik DH by comparison.

michael

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
as somebody with some time on float 36rc2's, lyrik DH, totems, (air, and coil), wotans, a domain, and a 55rc3, here is my recommendation:

if you're not much into tuning, and you kind of just like to run sh1t into the ground, the 55rc3 would be my first choice. However, I think there are better choices if you're into tuning things. My problem with the 55rc3 was that it would have poor small bump absorbtion or dive alot. There wasn't alot of in between ground.

If you don't mind the weight and a little tuning, plus a rebuild occasionally, a lowered totem will be the stiffest of the bunch, and provide great suspension action. But they're pretty darn heavy, and probably overkill. A lyrik DH would be a great comprimise. They feel stellar.

No time on the newest 36 series other then a pedal ride, but I couldn't really tell the difference between the kashima van 180 and the older 36 series (other then travel). I hear great things about it though, and I always thought (and still think) that the old 36rc2 series was one of the best fork series ever produced.

If you like crappy damping action and sloppy bushings, the wotan is a phenomenal choice, highly recommended. most people don't though, so I'd look elsewhere.

The domain is great for the cheap. Its pretty stiff, you pretty much can't break it, it doesn't really matter if you hit the stantions because they're steel, and its super smooth. tuning is easy, if not as refined as the fox or totem/lyrik.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
For the Heckler, get the Van 36.

Hard to kill. Easy to service.

Your Pike is a burly fork, but a bit of additional travel is nice for bigger stunts and drops when the transitions aren't manicured and smooth.

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
i ran a lowered totem solo air for a season and it felt amazing. super stiff. i've owned 3 totems with different setups and they've never let me down. domain would be just as good, but with lower quality damping. about the same weight.

·
Underskilled
4,484 Posts
I would bet a lowered Fox 40 would be burlier than the totem. Totems are also very tall, so you would probably need to lower to 140/150 to get the same ride height as a 40 at 160.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Yes, the 40 will be shorter than any comparable single crown fork when reduced.

You might also consider getting the Domain and pinging Avalanche to see if they have their custom cartridge lined up for it - that would be a low cost for a custom-tuned fork.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for all the info-I am thinking domain because it is cheap and I am a set it and forget it type-i dont always want to playing with an adjustment for this or that

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
I agree that your current setup is probably already ideal. But I'm a fan of the Domain 318, especially the 160mm u-turn version. Mine weighed 6.12 pounds with steerer cut to 8.25 inches and a star nut installed, so it's really not much heavier than comparable freeride forks, and your frame will break in half before you damage the fork, I guarantee that.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I have been seeing a Marzocchi 160mm fork on chainlove as of late for $4xx that retails somewhere around 1000. Forget which model but looks to be a great deal.

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
LaXCarp said:
I have been seeing a Marzocchi 160mm fork on chainlove as of late for $4xx that retails somewhere around 1000. Forget which model but looks to be a great deal.
rc3 ti i think.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Vengeance! Chassis is a tad thicker than the lyrik and 36. I ran all 3 last year for different periods on the same bike and the vengeance felt the most stiff, and the most like a freeride fork to me. Still climbs great!

·
Perpetual Hack
2,187 Posts
re the Wotan.

I have never had any problems with bushings. The damper was revised to counter the mid-dive issue. I had mine sent to suspensionwerx for a custom shim-stack for my weight ( 235 on bike ).

No longer riding the Wotan ( Lyrik Coil DH now ) as I prefer coil and wanted Hi / Low compression adjust, have no use for a climbing platform and the extra 10mm matches the rear travel.

Still a very stiff fork.

michael

1 - 20 of 24 Posts