Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else having this problem? I have ridden Crossmax's for years and switched to a King and DT Swiss 5.1 set up. I went with the 5.1's for a little wider foot print. The only thing I don't really like is that tire changes are a nightmare. I was running a Continental Gravity 2.3 on the back that I could barely get on or off. I had this same tire on my Crossmax before with no problem. The Schwalbe Fat Albert 2.35 I just put on the front was a wicked wrestling match. I know how to make sure the bead is down in the center of the wheel, and have changed many a tubeless tire. I am using the DT swiss red rim strips. I am very close to just start using regular tube tires again. I am not sure I could get a tire changed on the trail with the way things are now. I know tubeless can take a little more effort, but I am talking about 45 minutes and sometimes needing an extra set of hands just to get the tire on the rim.

thanks
Craig

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
spaeth said:
The Schwalbe Fat Albert 2.35 I just put on the front was a wicked wrestling match. I know how to make sure the bead is down in the center of the wheel, and have changed many a tubeless tire. ... I know tubeless can take a little more effort, but I am talking about 45 minutes and sometimes needing an extra set of hands just to get the tire on the rim.
Poking around for Fat Albert threads and yours popped up.

I gave up trying to mount my Fat Albert 2.35 UST's by hand. I got one on with a lot of effort and then didn't have the finger strength for the second (they ached for at least a week afterwards).

I eventually used the two plastic tire irons that were on a multi-tool and the tire mounted up easily. A week later I had to remove/reinstall the tire to fix a large puncture and used the tire irons from the start.

I'll continue to try to mount/dismount UST tires by hand, but at least for the bike with the Fat Alberts, I won't be leaving home without tire irons.

·
Commit or eat sh!t
2,394 Posts
Both Fat Albert and Maxxis UST tires needed tools to take them on/off. I ended up scraping the sidewall in many places. I can't imagine being able to do this on the trail.

I ended up using tubes on these rims for that reason.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Cable0guy said:
Both Fat Albert and Maxxis UST tires needed tools to take them on/off. I ended up scraping the sidewall in many places. I can't imagine being able to do this on the trail.

I ended up using tubes on these rims for that reason.
I waited a year to get a set of Fat Albert 2.35 USTs, and there is no way I am running them with tubes. Besides, how does a tube help? After having a pencil size stick puncture my rear tire, seal, and then go unnoticed for a bunch of miles, I'm sold on tubeless.

·
Commit or eat sh!t
2,394 Posts
anotherbrian said:
I waited a year to get a set of Fat Albert 2.35 USTs, and there is no way I am running them with tubes. Besides, how does a tube help? After having a pencil size stick puncture my rear tire, seal, and then go unnoticed for a bunch of miles, I'm sold on tubeless.
I never said I ended up using the Fat Alberts on the DT's. I put on non-UST tires with tubes. No way I am going to spend 30 minutes changing the tire on the DT rims on the trail if I get a flat. I put the Fat Alberts on my Mavic rims, which went on without any problems.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Never had problems getting tires on or off my 5.1's. Used to use Sun Rhynolites and Mavic 517's, and I'd say changing tires on the DT 5.1's is easier than the Rhynolites but harder than the Mavic.

I run Specialized Eskar 2.3, WTB Timberwolf 2.3 or 2.5.

·
Registered
84 Posts
spaeth said:
Is anyone else having this problem? I have ridden Crossmax's for years and switched to a King and DT Swiss 5.1 set up. I went with the 5.1's for a little wider foot print. The only thing I don't really like is that tire changes are a nightmare. I was running a Continental Gravity 2.3 on the back that I could barely get on or off. I had this same tire on my Crossmax before with no problem. The Schwalbe Fat Albert 2.35 I just put on the front was a wicked wrestling match. I know how to make sure the bead is down in the center of the wheel, and have changed many a tubeless tire. I am using the DT swiss red rim strips. I am very close to just start using regular tube tires again. I am not sure I could get a tire changed on the trail with the way things are now. I know tubeless can take a little more effort, but I am talking about 45 minutes and sometimes needing an extra set of hands just to get the tire on the rim.

thanks
Craig
I have the same setup (DT Swiss 5.1/Conti Gravity) and here are a couple tips (it does seem tough at first!):

1) Make sure you push the tube's valve stem inwards. This will allow you to better seat the tire towards the center of the rim.

2) After you've "centered" the tire, start at the valve and "milk" by pinching it and stretching it/sliding your thumbs away from the valve. Do this a few times.

3) Now, just do the muscle work when you get 8-12" of tire left to mount. Do it evenly for as long as you can, and roll the tire over to get it to go on.

With this technique, I can get any tire on without levers, and just as importantly, can get them off the rim as easily (use the same tricks).

Rick

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate the tips, but if you read my post I state that I am familiar with tubeless tires and how to mount them. I know about getting the bead all the way down in the center of the rim. I was able to mount many different kinds of tires on my Mavic Crossmax tubeless rims without any problems. I am mainly wondering if there is some way to not have the rim strip seated all the way or something like that. At leas now it seems like this problem is not normal for this setup.

thanks
Craig

·
Singletrack Addict!!!
913 Posts
It is of my understanding from other users and my one and only experience with a set of DT540, that they are hard to work with, even regular tires, they are a pain in the a$$, at least compared to Mavic's. Got a new wheelset and went with Mavic again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.