Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I'm looking to pull the trigger on a nice racing bike for the upcoming year in Colorado. I thought about doing a hardtail, but the trails here in CO aren't very conducive for it (IMHO). I'm looking at the Fantom Team and the Fantom Pro DS. For the $300 price difference is the Team worth it? My budget is between $1800-$2200.

Fantom Team
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom_team_3x10_xi.htm

Fantom Pro DS
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom_pro_ds_3x10_xi.htm

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
For that money I would buy A Ti 29er from B.D. I know you said no HT's but for a XC race ride you could do a lot worse .

·
Registered
249 Posts
I ride and race a Fantom Pro DS and I love it. There might be better bikes to get specifically for racing but I think the Fantom is great. You can bring the rear suspension down to three inches and bring the fork down to 100mm for a more race setup. If the bike is just for racing get the Team or the Ti 29er like they said.

·
DynoDon
1,666 Posts
It says 28 to 29 lbs in the spec sheet for the DS, but it can be brought down to 26 or 27lbs easily, I've got a Fantom Team, mine is up from where it started to 26 lbs, I put on heavier parts in the drive train, seat, hanlebars, tires, a few grams here and there, I'm real happy with the bike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
floydlippencott said:
There are a lot of people of your height on 29ers . :thumbsup:
I'm 5'8" with short legs (29.5" inseam, hence the handle theBody -- I'm all torso), and the 17" Moto Fantom Pro I bought is a little too big for me. I ride it (it's loads of fun) and it's manageable, but you really want to go 15".

I'm riding mine until I find a 15" frame for a steal, then it's adios 17".

·
Registered
249 Posts
theBody said:
I'm 5'8" with short legs (29.5" inseam, hence the handle theBody -- I'm all torso), and the 17" Moto Fantom Pro I bought is a little too big for me. I ride it (it's loads of fun) and it's manageable, but you really want to go 15".

I'm riding mine until I find a 15" frame for a steal, then it's adios 17".
There are some 5'7" guys on here that ride a Small Fantom DS Pro and say it feels too small. Do a search for Fantom Sizing to get an idea of which size to choose.

I'm 5'8" and I ride a Medium DS Pro with a 90mm stem. It feels good for XC/Trail but I'm tempted to try an 80mm stem. I probably wont though. I'll admit it feels a bit on the bigger side but it doesn't feel too big for me, and I'd rather be inside the bike than on top of it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does anyone make a 16" or 16.5" frame? I was at the LBS and got on a 15 and it felt way too small. A 17 felt just a tad big. But if I had to choose one I would have gone with the 17 and tried to find a shorter stem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.