Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasn't sure where this should've gone, so I just posted it here. Anyways, do you guys know of any good touch-up paints for bikes? I've heard nail polish works, but I'm not too sure. Also, do you guys have any good applying techniques? Tips would be appreciated.

-VDK

·
Life is Good
1,494 Posts
Specialized sells bottles of touch up paints that match their frames. I bought a bottle for my 2002 Enduro this summer and it works well enough. Perhaps you can try to check your bike's manufacturer website and see if they sell a matching color?

Application techniques, go slow and small. Its really hard to touch up a spot and make it appear like nothing happened, so don't be disappointed if its not perfect. When I touch up a nick or something, my goal is to just make it invisible to the glancing eye. If you inspect my frame, you can see the nicks and spots where I touched up, but if you were just looking over my bike from a foot or two away, it'd be a little more difficult.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Although not exactly the advice you were asking for but you might be able to remove some of the scratches using rubbing compound. I recently bought a used Kona Caldera that the owner said had a scratch that nearly ran the length of the top tube. Much to my surprise it was easily removed using rubbing compound. If the scratch is through the paint and into the aluminum though you might as well start looking for some touch up paint.

I've had really good luck using finger nail polish and getting it to stick to the frame but I've never had much luck getting a good color match.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Roll your bike into the nearest auto parts supplier in your area that carries auto touch-up paint. Match the frame colour as close to the touch-up bottle as possible and you're good to go.Auto paint is a lot more durable than nail polish or whatever.
Shawn595 said:
Although not exactly the advice you were asking for but you might be able to remove some of the scratches using rubbing compound. I recently bought a used Kona Caldera that the owner said had a scratch that nearly ran the length of the top tube. Much to my surprise it was easily removed using rubbing compound. If the scratch is through the paint and into the aluminum though you might as well start looking for some touch up paint.

I've had really good luck using finger nail polish and getting it to stick to the frame but I've never had much luck getting a good color match.

·
ride hard take risks
25,422 Posts
shawn595 has great advise, also yourself, nail polish. Time to orginize a Mary Kay party :D.
Small paint brush from model shop, tear a match out of a book & use the torn side. Toutch up is just that, you will be able to see it. Use small amount of nail polish at a time, build it up slowly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. In the end the nail polish worked out great. I'll try to post a pic or two later.

·
Turner Homer
1,227 Posts
I found that the enimal gloss hobby paints work fairly well. You could also mix different colores to form different shades, and they are fairly durable.
Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts