Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stupidly put my brand new RIP 9 on the back of our car using a crappy old bike rack, and the rack made a nice big scratch in the frame's paintwork. :madman: :mad:

I'd like to have a go at using the supplied touch-up paint to repair the damage. Has anyone tried doing this? Are there any tricks to be aware of? I'm guessing that I should use isopropyl alcohol to clean it first, and maybe spray it with some sort of clear-coat afterwards to protect it. Any other suggestions or gotchas?

Thanks,

- Erik.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
To do it properly, you will need a small gun and compressor, but for just applying the touchup with the supplied brush on technique... Use light multiple coats of the paint, not one big blob of it. Lay the frame down so the area you are working on is dead flat...it helps to prevent 'runs'.

Take your time, if you make a bad mistake, use thinners and wipe off the applied paint and start again.

The touchup will usually appear a slightly darker color when dry...so expect that.

Good luck,

R.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.