Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people,

I have specialized big hit 2.

I want to pimp it :D ,...... (1). I want suspension forks which are not heavier than the stock ( A stock big hit 2 use rockshox domain 318, 2850 grams ). (2) I want comfortable shock : plush feeling and long travel. (3) I want good looking too if possible.

Do you people have experiences or pro / contra with: Totem Solo Air or Fox 36 air 180 or Boxxer Race Coil ?

I'm confused now....... :confused:

·
THAT guy
139 Posts
Out of what you have listed, the Totem is the best choice IMO. It has 40 mm stanchoins while the fox has 36 mm. The boxer is going be the heaviest and is a 200 mm travel fork while the other two are 180 mm. Let alone the Totem looks baddass!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Had totems on the iron horse sunday, but just upgraded to a set of boxer race 2010, the difference is miles better, i prefer the boxxers over the totems and they are as stiff as the totems and they make the bike feel a lot more balanced and a lot plusher/smoother.

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
Boxxer Race isn't going to save you any weight over the Domain. It's only real advantage is the dual crown stiffness and ability to fine tune the a2c a little bit. It will also raise up the control center of your bike - something you may or may not want.

I've had a decent amount of time on a Domain, Totem Solo Air, and the new Boxxer Race. If blinging out your ride and saving weight is the goal, gl Totem Solo Air - will save you weight, has better damping than the Boxxer Race or your Domain, and is still a damn tough and stiff fork.

Granted, IMO, if I had that bike as my stock ride, there are things with the money from a $1000 dollar fork that could be lightened up to save you much more weight than the fork swap will.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you

What do you think if I go with Fox Float 36 - 180 ? .... It's the lightest fork about 2200 grams..... compare to Totem 2600 grams.

Do you people recommend Fox 36 or Totem Solo Air ?

( I'm very lame when making a decision )

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
asw7576 said:
Thank you

What do you think if I go with Fox Float 36 - 180 ? .... It's the lightest fork about 2200 grams..... compare to Totem 2600 grams.

Obviously. :)

I've got zero time on any of the Fox 36 line, so can't help you there. Some people like those, some people like the Rock Shox stuff, some people like Marzocchi.

Based on the chassis of the fork though, Totem vs. 180mm Fox you may be trading some stiffness for the weight, maybe not. Now, is it something most of us would even notice with those forks when riding? Maybe not.

I'd go for whichever one you can find a better deal on, unless you just have cash to burn. Either one is significantly lighter than your Domain.

·
Trying to be helpful
2,550 Posts
asw7576 said:
Thank you

Ive read a few people not getting full travel with the newer floats...
http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=7602669&postcount=1

There is a fix, but its costly.

I say get the totem, Ive rocked a totem and it was superb, it will be on my next bike too.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys

I already bought boxxer world cup 2010.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts