Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which air fork would you go with and why.
Bike will be used at the resorts, local gravity runs, trailriding, and some big climbs.
(Live in Colorado) Also if it makes any difference I'm 180 geared up.

I saw a similar post during my search but the last post was from September.
Be nice to have some fresh reviews.

Thanks and TGIF.

·
2010 Glory custom FR
1,098 Posts
I am on the same boat.
I currently have got 2010 Totem SA DH which I was going to upgrade with Avalanche cartrige. But, I can get Fox 180 Float at the very good price. I am going to do it for 2012 :)

Fox is lighter, stiff enough for my weight ( ca. 150lbs geared), super smooth and have tons on adjustment (accordingly to recent reviews).

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
The fox is this weeks flavor of the month. Next year, they'll probably hit an equilibrium and even out again. The totem is a damn good fycking fork. Its got alot of adjustability, and does very well at its job. They're easy to rebuild, and the chassis gets a nod for durability where the fox gets the nod for weight. Rockshox tends to warranty broken parts, where fox charges you full retail. I have no complaints with my current fox suspension, and I hear good things about the new 180 stuff from the internet, although I couldn't for the life of me feel much difference between the newest kashima coated van 180 and the older van 160's, other then travel and a2c height. I liked the older van160rc2's alot though.

·
No Clue Crew
7,593 Posts
I run a Totem on my Morewood. No experience with the newest Fox stuff. I run a Lyric on my pedal bike, so I really do like the Rockshox stuff. The Totem is significantly burly.

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
I really wanted to like the totem. I had a 2010 totem DH coil and it felt pretty bad. I think it came with too tight of bushings. after a full season it finally started to feel pretty good. Mine also came new in the box with no oil, no grease, and an already messed up seal.

I now have a 2011 fox talas 180 and the fork is amazing. It has a good linear feel for the first part of the stroke and then ramps up nicely at the end. They are plenty stiff for me (190 lbs).

I could only imagine the float would be a little smoother as well.

To me if i wanted a really burly 180 fork to absolutely trash i would go with the marz 66 evo ti. If I wanted a lightweight fork that can still take abuse but is much lighter then I would go with the float 36 180.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.