Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing this kind of backward; I'm looking for a frame for my fork. I've had a Titus SuperMoto for a few years with a Dorado fork and I never "got along" with the bike. I finally broke down last fall and bought a Totem 2-Step for it and it did make a day-and-night difference in the ride of the bike. I also finally came to the realization that the frame's too short in the top tube and I'm shopping for a change. I've narrowed it down to a few frames that have the potential to be extremely versatile: the Intense 6.6 and Maverick ML8.

My question is this: how would a ML8 ride with a Totem? The plus of the 2-Step is that it is adjustable down to 145mm so between that and the standard 165mm ride height it may wind working out OK up and down. Any input? I've always had a thing for the Maverick frames since the first version with the custom Psylo and they just won't make me a 29er version so this may work for me.

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow, lots of looks but not any feedback? Everyone must be out enjoying the nice weekend riding (I hope). Anyway, one correction, the fork is 180mm full travel and 135mm lower travel setting; quite a difference from the 165/145mm I quoted; for what it's worth.

·
Schipperkes are cool.
4,170 Posts
The RS is going to "slow down the front end" a bit as that fork has a tall axle to crown height; I think a Lyric would be better.

The ML8 is designed for the DUC fork, axle to crown is 520mm

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll have to measure the actual a-c measurement of the Totem tomorrow and see what a difference that is. So Maverick's measurements must be based on the DUC? Yeah...that may not work very well. If the difference was 25-50mm I may be able to live with that though the bb might be pretty high.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
That's a big fork for trail riding. But since you got one, I expect you would want your ML8 to have a slack HA (66 degrees or so) and be able to bomb the descents. We've built up a few with a Lyric and it rides like a perfect long travel trail bike. With a Totem it would ride like a unstoppable machine. Gotta lean forward a bit on the climbs, but I assume you expect that right. I remember back in the early 90's everyone said don't put a fork on a bike that wasn't geometry adjusted for it. But we all did it anyway, and had sweet riding machines. That and Ariel (Maverick team rider in 07) was ripping DH courses last year with a Boxxer on his ML8. I say go for it.

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another bike that was on the radar screen was the Turner Highline; the downer is the 150x12mm rear spacing so I'd have to build a new rear wheel. Funny thing, with the appropriate length fork (the Totem) it has a 66 degree head angle and 14.5" bottom bracket height so the ML8 would pretty closely match that... I think the frame dynamics will work for me considering the ability to drop the fork for the ups and stretch it for the downs. Worst case, I offload the Totem down the road and put a DUC 32 (or 36, drool) on it.

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some final beta on this. I measured the actual fork and it's about 560mm a-c. I measured the specs. on the SuperMoto too and it looks like the head angle is about 66 degrees and the bb height is 14.5" so the ML8 would be pretty close; just 1/2" less rear travel. Finally I heard back from Chris at Maverick and he had this to say "Thanks for the email. The RS Totem was a fork that we had as an option for folks looking to buy an ML8, so it has all the necessary height requirements that makes it very compatible with our frame. You would have a really good setup with the RS fork and the ML8."

So, I'm feeling pretty good about this.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
el-cid said:
Some final beta on this. I measured the actual fork and it's about 560mm a-c. I measured the specs. on the SuperMoto too and it looks like the head angle is about 66 degrees and the bb height is 14.5" so the ML8 would be pretty close; just 1/2" less rear travel. Finally I heard back from Chris at Maverick and he had this to say "Thanks for the email. The RS Totem was a fork that we had as an option for folks looking to buy an ML8, so it has all the necessary height requirements that makes it very compatible with our frame. You would have a really good setup with the RS fork and the ML8."

So, I'm feeling pretty good about this.
I cannot wait to see this. The ML8 is one sweet ride.

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CharacterZero said:
I cannot wait to see this. The ML8 is one sweet ride.
Well, the frame should be here tomorrow (hope I didn't just jinx it) and with any luck I'll have the bike together by the weekend. We'll see how the experiment goes. This will be the only 26" tired bike that will get any love from me since I started riding 29ers in '03 (well, other than my Pugsley).

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The ML8's mobile. I just got the derailleurs dialed in and the brake hoses shortened up today and it's looking good. With the Totem at full length the bb is around 14 1/4" high and the head angle is between 66 and 67 degrees. It feels pretty good as-is and should climb good with the fork in 145mm short-mode. I'm going to sneak it out for a quick ride in the morning before my wife goes to work so I'll get a better feel for it then. I'll start a new thread tomorrow afternoon with some pictures.

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Good stuff. The trail I rode is just across town from my house but has a pretty good elevation climb on fire road and technical singletrack. After the climbing it continues singletrack across some sidehill and has some nice singletrack downhill with a few bridges.

I rapidly discovered how out of shape I still am this season as I was wheezing pretty good going up the trail and I figured out that I needed another 30 or so lbs. of air in the rear shock. The fork worked perfectly set at it's shorter 135mm travel setting up and 180mm down. I was impressed how well the rear suspension worked on the climb and it's the best climbing-while-standing fs bike I've ever ridden. I can see what a large part of the appeal of the URT bike was. I also came to another realization: the Panaracer Fire FR 2.4 tires I ran on the Titus and transferred over to this bike just suck for the conditions around here. I should have a new set of Kenda Nevegals on the bike Monday.

I didn't have any chance to take any pics yet so I'll try to start a new thread with my setup tomorrow. I have to say I like the bike but it'll be a while before I get it dialled in. It's sure not going to replace my fleet of 29ers but it'll be another great ride option in the quiver.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.