Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered a 09 totem coil and weigh 200.

Noticed the stock spring rate is for 160-180lb rider.

Look like I could go with either the yellow (180-200) or red spring. (200+)

Anyone running a totem coil try out different spring rates?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I brought a totem with the standard spring and ordered an x-firm.I weigh 225.The x-firm spring is excellent for freeride and the larger stuff but if like me you use the bike for xc/trail aswell i found it very harsh.I now have a firm spring fitted and i find this a lot better for general riding .There is a lot of difference in the spring rates between the firm and x-firm and i found the x-firm just to much for my wrists and arms.

I was also advised that the seals on some of the 2009 totems are not very good and i brought some of the latest seals which have a better lip seal.The newer seals have a raised lip and the other not as good seals have a completely flat top to them with no raised lip.

·
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
norcosam said:
I brought a totem with the standard spring and ordered an x-firm.I weigh 225.The x-firm spring is excellent for freeride and the larger stuff but if like me you use the bike for xc/trail aswell i found it very harsh.I now have a firm spring fitted and i find this a lot better for general riding .There is a lot of difference in the spring rates between the firm and x-firm and i found the x-firm just to much for my wrists and arms.

I was also advised that the seals on some of the 2009 totems are not very good and i brought some of the latest seals which have a better lip seal.The newer seals have a raised lip and the other not as good seals have a completely flat top to them with no raised lip.
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like the yellow firm would be best.

In older RS I also recall the heaver spring being too harsh.

Regarding the seals, did you get the latest seals form rock shox or did you get enduro seals?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.