Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
100% Cheesy Goodness
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bike came with a 09 66RCV which ride OK, but I need a little more out of the fork. I can get a good deal on a Totem coil, and a screaming deal on the Domain 318. The reviews I have read have been mixed, just not sure if I should throw my hard earned bucks at one or not. Had a 08 66RC3 last year and it was alright, but not quite what I wanted. Thoughts?

·
UNDEAD
484 Posts
I've got both Totem and 66RC/ETA experiance here.
Love my Totem, 1st choice as a shock right now for freeride/downhill.

I have a 66 on my trail bike (BottleRocket) and it performs nicely, very plush and no issues. Heavy is the only complaint.

As for the Totem coil on my Demo 7, I swear by it.
Bottomless feel, super stiff, plush as can be, super adjustable (high and low compression) and light for it's kind. (solo air/air is even lighter)
only issue with it is maintenance. This is not a "forget about it" fork like MARZ.
You've gotta stay on top of the "speed lubing" and seals. I've got a first gen. coil and I blew the seals within 6 months of riding...hard riding. Replaced them and all was good, went to Whistler, rode in rain and mud and it totally worked the fork, replaced them again and all is fine.

Some will argue the reliability of the fork and yes I agree SRAM needs to go back and install higher quality seals and internals that hold up to serious abuse. I rode Marz for years and never once touched it in any way, but keep in mind this was the OLD marz....2002-2006, they new marz I've heard horror stories of the 2007 and present stuff.

I would still choose the Totem, even with the maintenance issue.
Weight alone would do it, a current 66RC3 will be about 7lbs outta the box, the Totem coil will be about 6.2lbs.

·
Capricious youth...
3,814 Posts
I'm selling a Totem Solo Air for cheap. Have the original box, 8.5" of steer tube, and it's in perfect condition minus a few cosmetic scratches on the lowers. Just speed-lubed it too, per SRAM's recommendations.

Let me know.

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
Prettym1k3 said:
I'm selling a Totem Solo Air for cheap. Have the original box, 8.5" of steer tube, and it's in perfect condition minus a few cosmetic scratches on the lowers. Just speed-lubed it too, per SRAM's recommendations.

Let me know.
how cheap is cheap?

·
Capricious youth...
3,814 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
How come you're parting with it?
Got my eyes set on a new DH frame, and a 7" fork teamed up with a 9" DH frame just won't work. I love that Totem, and I wish the new frame had 8" of travel because then I'd keep the fork. But 7"/9" just won't work for me.

The Totem is plenty stiff, plenty smooth, and it's my dream fork... for my 7point. But the 7point is for sale also, so it's time for something new.

saturnine said:
how cheap is cheap?
PM me an offer and we'll talk. :thumbsup:

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
I love the feel of my Domain but after a year of AM/Light freeride/DJ on my Coiler I have developed some issues. It leaks out of the rebound knob, out of the damper itself somehow. Other than that it has been amazing, especially for the price range, and the u-turn adjustment works awesome. It's tough as nails from a big hit standpoint also, a few friends of mine have had very good luck and they go way bigger than I ever will. SRAM has hooked me up with an RMA and the fork has a 2 year warranty so everything will be gravy there I'm sure. No experience with the Totem, though.

·
Ideas Above My Station...
1,506 Posts
Can't speak for the Marz, but i love the Totem, had an '07 Solo Air, and loved it, got an '08 Solo Air now in white (Got a screaming deal, so only spent an extra £100 for a brand new, white pair after selling the old ones!)

Love the adjustability, the look, the plushness, the solidity, the stiffness. I have had a pair for over 8 months and have had no issues whatsoever, no maintenance, nothing. Still running perfectly.

·
Registered
764 Posts
RS has totally stepped in up in the past few years. The Totem is nice and rides great, but troublesome. The Domain is probably the best deal in FR oriented bike equipment out there.

·
Capricious youth...
3,814 Posts
How is the Totem troublesome?

I've had mine for a while, and it's fantastic.

But my fork now is a Solo Air. The 2-step was horrible, that's for sure.

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
loving my domain - you get what yu pay for and the domain delivers nicely.
dont need more than 160-170mm and just got an awesome deal on a 36 rc2x, totem coil was my other choice lowered of coarse. maybe next time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts